Ducks Sign Getzlaf to an 8-Year Extension

Guest AndyS

Great move by the Ducks!

Now if they can just get Perry signed. Word is that it was for $66 million.

The Anaheim Ducks have re-signed captain Ryan Getzlaf to an eight-year contract.

The Ducks announced the deal Friday with Getzlaf, the former Canadian Olympic center who has spent his entire NHL career with Anaheim. His new contract runs through the 2020-21 season.

Getzlaf would have been an unrestricted free agent this summer along with Corey Perry, the former NHL MVP and his longtime teammate.

The 27-year-old Getzlaf has scored 499 points in 534 games with Anaheim, establishing himself as one of the NHL's top playmakers. He won the Stanley Cup in 2007 and became Anaheim's captain in 2010.

Getzlaf is in the midst of an outstanding season for the Ducks, who have the NHL's second-best record behind Chicago. Getzlaf has nine goals and 18 assists in just 22 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/anaheim-ducks-sign-ryan-getzlaf-175720761--nhl.html

@AndyS This is an interesting Deal the Ducks gave Ryan. He had a horrible year last year, dipping to career lows in goals (11) and pts (47). This was obviously an abberation, since he is currently scoring at over point a game average to this point. He does have 499 career pts in 539 career games, so historically, this guy is just under a point a game for his career. Obviously, the Ducks were paying 8.25 mill a year for more than points, his community standing, his chartiy work, the leadership skills, the Stanley Cup ring already on his resume, so he actually *knows* what it takes to win, the sacrafice involved, and can teach others....that's a BIG plus in my eyes.

EDIT, can Perry not make a point that he is more valuable production wise, and demand *more* than Ryan's 8.25....maybe around 9-9.5 a year for the maximum length allowed....that's a LOT to rap up in one player, but I do believe's it in and around his market value.

Edited by jammer2

@flyercanuck Not sure about Perry, but I could see him wanting to test the free agent market, with those types of numbers being tossed around...lol. Plus, Perry has always been about winning, he probably wants to pick a contender, maybe the east, and up his chances at Lord Stanely.

@AndyS This is an interesting Deal the Ducks gave Ryan. He had a horrible year last year, dipping to career lows in goals (11) and pts (47). This was obviously an abberation, since he is currently scoring at over point a game average to this point. He does have 499 career pts in 539 career games, so historically, this guy is just under a point a game for his career. Obviously, the Ducks were paying 8.25 mill a year for more than points, his community standing, his chartiy work, the leadership skills, the Stanley Cup ring already on his resume, so he actually *knows* what it takes to win, the sacrafice involved, and can teach others....that's a BIG plus in my eyes.

EDIT, can Perry not make a point that he is more valuable production wise, and demand *more* than Ryan's 8.25....maybe around 9-9.5 a year for the maximum length allowed....that's a LOT to rap up in one player, but I do believe's it in and around his market value.

Perry is the flashier player, but I do believe that Getzlaf is a huge part of his success. Put Perry somewhere else without Getzlaf (or someone like him, if there is anyone), and his production will go down.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd take Getzlaf in a heartbeat. Perry sells tickets, but Getzlaf does everything. He is a cornerstone player.

@flyercanuck Not sure about Perry, but I could see him wanting to test the free agent market, with those types of numbers being tossed around...lol. Plus, Perry has always been about winning, he probably wants to pick a contender, maybe the east, and up his chances at Lord Stanely.

If he wants to win, he'd be crazy to leave Anaheim.

That's a lot of money with the cap going down next year.

Really ups the UFA market too. Crap.

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's a huge deal even under the "old" cap but with a much lower cap? I love Getzlaf but that's too much for him.

The Ducks are probably losing Selanne to retirement this off-season, so that will free up some cap room.

Other than Getzlaf & Perry, they don't have a lot of big-money players. Hiller doesn't make that much money, and Bobby Ryan's contract isn't bad either.

They should be in pretty good shape regarding the salary cap.

I think everyone is selling Anaheim short. They have very good fans - always play to a packed, loud house. (Same with the Kings.) What they don't have is the crush of the negadelphia press (or the like in Toronto or Montreal). And he gets to play in SoCal. (There is a good reason Teemu Selanne loves playing out here.)

If Perry leaves, it will be primarily because he wants every last nickel he can get & knows that he will be the top free agent out there. I don't totally blame him, but I think it's a mistake. He would be hard pressed to find a better situation than he's in right now. It's not like Anaheim isn't willing to pay him big money.

And how many Cup contenders have the cap space to pay him what he wants? Very few, and the Ducks are one of them. Would he have a better chamce of winning the Cup in Philly than in Anaheim? It hurts to say this, but absolutely not. Not even close.

If he doesn't sign soon, I think the Ducks trade him (which would be a shame because they very well could win the Cup again this season). We'll see.

@AndyS

I didn't mean Philly. I've heard Perry say he likes playing out there, but it's not the same as playing in a hockey-crazed town. One good thing, like you mentioned, is not having the media drive you crazy.I could handle making millions and still be able to walk around without being hounded everywhere you go. But some people love the attention.

• Like 1

@B21 Malkin's gotta be licking his chops hearing about this deal, sure a lot of GM's are not happy campers. This sets a pretty wicked precedent.

$9,000,000 is still more than $8,275,000. ;) They can tell him it's in rubles.

I hate to think in these terms but is Crosby really only $725,000 better than Getzlaf? Is Getzlaf $725,000 better than Stamkos?

@B21 "but is Crosby really only $725,000 better than Getzlaf? Is Getzlaf $725,000 better than Stamkos?"

no and no on both accounts. I think it was more of a move that had to be made, to secure the fan base, they *might* have to give up on Perry, but Corey AND Getzlaf....you might as well move the team, ;the season ticket base would be crushed...so really, I believe Gezlaf had them between a rock and a hard place. Statistically speaking, Crosby and Stamkos are worth a hell of a lot more than Getzlaf....depite the leadership, intangibles and all that other stuff.

• Like 1

@B21 "but is Crosby really only $725,000 better than Getzlaf? Is Getzlaf $725,000 better than Stamkos?"

no and no on both accounts. I think it was more of a move that had to be made, to secure the fan base, they *might* have to give up on Perry, but Corey AND Getzlaf....you might as well move the team, ;the season ticket base would be crushed...so really, I believe Gezlaf had them between a rock and a hard place. Statistically speaking, Crosby and Stamkos are worth a hell of a lot more than Getzlaf....depite the leadership, intangibles and all that other stuff.

Getzlaf > Giroux

And I'm a big fan of Giroux.

@AndyS If I was starting out a team, I'd take Giroux over Getzlaf. We really don't know what G's ceiling is right now. Sure, he's looked off the first part of this freaky strike shortened season but that does not mean he won't be a 100 point center. Regardless of all of Ryan's intangibles, I take the 100 point center any day. Esp one with the work ethic of Giroux.

My numbers were off...again. Crosby's hit is only $8.7 million. He gave the Pens an obvious discount but even using his market value as the comparison I'll still say the Getzlaf deal carries too big a cap hit.

Edited by B21