The Animal Trainer And The Toad

BearOnIce

I see Bernie. And it makes me wonder. Is this organization going to keep trotting out the heirlooms, relics, memories, and success stories of the past for the next 40 years, just like the last 40 years? This Flyers organization is like a circus gone wild. If Ole Kate was alive she would still be on the microphone propped up next to Lauren Hart. When is Snider and this Flyers organization going to start to live in the present? Not the past? I was a guy growing up in Boston in the early 70's. The Bruins were my team. I saw them win some Cups. The city celebrated then. The Flyers then took their turn moving through the 70's and won a couple of Cups. But do I see the Bruins still using guys like Orr, Cashman, Bucyk, Espo, Cheevers 40 years later actively marketing the Bruins of today? No. Of course not. Sure they won a Cup recently, but even before that they did not. They grew up. They moved on. They did not rest on their laurels of the past. They changed with the NHL. They brought in new blood. They had some up and downs but they developed a solid long-term plan. No kneejerk. The Flyers keep marketing this "Bullies" mantra as neauseum. Enough. This Flyers organization is mirred in homerism, past achievement worship, and self-indulgence from how they market to who owns, runs, manages, and coaches in the organization. Maybe the Bruins are on to something, eh Ed? Given the lackluster team and organization I would suggest the Flyers organization start to first look in the mirror at what they have become, then look from the outside in and perhaps get some fresh air in the organization because it is quite clear to this writer that what they have been doing as an organization for a number of years is just not working.

• Like 1

Bear:

I agree wholeheartedly. And I add a friendly amendment. If we look at the Flyers since the first lockout, it is two flukey playoff runs, the worst season in history, and nothing but inconsistency during that stretch. We need the proverbial outside set of eyes. And that may not happen unless Comcast tells Snider to take a back seat. Or until he passes.

Best,

Howie

Bear:

I agree wholeheartedly. And I add a friendly amendment. If we look at the Flyers since the first lockout, it is two flukey playoff runs, the worst season in history, and nothing but inconsistency during that stretch. We need the proverbial outside set of eyes. And that may not happen unless Comcast tells Snider to take a back seat. Or until he passes.

Best,

Howie

Howie:

I am afraid that it is simply engrained in this organization to the point that it will require some combination of ownership change driven by financial effect on Comcast, or through the death of this iconic owner, or a series of repeated dismal, loosing seasons no matter what was done by general management, to get the change. Or it might be one of life's great Flyer mysteries like why Bob Clarke still works there and what does he really do? I chose to see this as a plus-sum in which the business aspects win out. I believe that another person made the comment that following the 2005 season in which the Flyers finished last in the NHL, attendance was off like 30%. That gets Comcast's attention. You are right. This organization has nothing but two Stanley Cups over 35 years ago. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. Could of's, would of's, should of's mean nothing. Nothing.

BOI

• Like 1