thoughts

aziz

Yeah, but you think everyone is dumb

Not everyone. The guy who made my breakfast this morning was brilliant.

I'm not so sure. He's more of an offensive D-man, good offensive instincts. He was an all-star in the Q and put up 60 pts from the blueline. That kind of offense does often come at some expense.

I can see the offense thing. Maybe paired with the right guy because he made some really foolish decisions with the puck. Started out well and then...wow, what a drop off. Could have been an age thing, too, So, again, maybe if paired with the right guy (not Gervais!!!)

Well you guys are probably right about Coburn and Mezsaros, that I'm putting too much faith in their abilities to "anchor" a defense. But think what it'll take to land that proverbial "true #1" - that guy you're saying they both need to pair up with. So now we need 2 of them. Well I hear Sheldon Souray is unhappy and may sign cheap :) But if you want a "difference-maker" it's gonna cost plenty.

I say with a better goaltender Coburn, Mez, Grossmann and Schenn are good enough to anchor the D. Are there better choices to lead the top 2 pairs? Of course. But we don't have our pick of the elite, what we have is Coburn, Mez, Grossmann and Schenn.

Certainly we have trade-able assets too. They're a.k.a our core, our young, promising forwards. You guys are okay with dealing them for a "true #1 D-man" apparently. Me I only want to deal them to replace Bryzgalov...which may or may not involve dealing them at all. We can improve in goal by selling picks...that is, if your definition of "improve" happens to be like mine, which is basically ABB (Anyone But Bryzgalov). I'm dead serious.

Stay away from the retreads and don't go after high-priced crybabies like Miller and the rest is on the table. Dangle a few picks, 2nd-rounders (if we have any left) and we'll land a young goalie who's currently stuck backing up a "name" guy somewhere. There's a fairly long list of them. Sure, some may cost more than a 2nd-rounder but they certainly won't cost us B.Schenn and Couturier, one or both, or McGinn plus Read...the way landing that "true #1 D-man" will - somebody like Yandle or Beachemin or Hedman...etc.

Stay away from the retreads and don't go after high-priced crybabies like Miller and the rest is on the table. Dangle a few picks, 2nd-rounders (if we have any left) and we'll land a young goalie who's currently stuck backing up a "name" guy somewhere. There's a fairly long list of them. Sure, some may cost more than a 2nd-rounder but they certainly won't cost us B.Schenn and Couturier, one or both, or McGinn plus Read...the way landing that "true #1 D-man" will - somebody like Yandle or Beachemin or Hedman...etc.

I think the only real option there is Bernier. There was another such guy, but he got dealt last year to Columbus. I don't know where this crop of talented guys stuck behind a monolith are, but I'm happy to hear.

Emery would be among the top UFA candidates (because the UFA crop sucks so badly after this season). Everyone else would be in the 30-plus "retread" category (as, quite frankly, is Emery).

I still think, barring a trade for Bernier, the best move is looking at Halak or Elliot from St. Louis (FA after next season). I *do* think the Blues might be convinced to take Pronger (and pick(s)) for the rights to one of them.

My preference is Halak, based on his performance with a non-Hitch-defense in Montreal.

well I think there's quite a few if you're not locked into "awesome" potential or killer Junior stats or anything other than "not Bryzgalov, not Biron, not costly trade/FAs."

you want names I'll give ya names, in no particular order just guys I can think of who aren't starting regularly for one reason or another:

Bobrovsky (doubtful CBJ lets us pry him back and I'm sure it's a non-starter with Flyers mgmt but...I can't make a list of "potentials" without The Bob)

Budaj (older than I'd like but - he's not Bryzgalov)

Scrivens

Bishop

LaBarberra

Harding (see Budaj)

Montoya

Then there's Bernier and Schneider - if either one can be had - and there are more besides them.

I swear to gawd I'd rather watch Varlamov in net than Bryzgalov, at least Varl is young and can possibly get better. And that's really the idea here, not so much hating Bryzgalov (though of course I do) I just want someone who FITS the profile of the team better - Young, Promising, Fast, Edgy, above all HUNGRY. Not all of the above fit this mold I admit. But where they don't (age, track record) I'd still prefer any one of them over Bryzgalov.

Remember, we're not looking for "elite" we're just looking to get out from under - capisce?

Remember, we're not looking for "elite" we're just looking to get out from under - capisce?

Well, I started with Bernier, mentioned Bobrovsky and I don't think Scheneider (who I advocated going for before he hit VAN) is leaving the Canucks. Quite frankly, your list makes me queasy.

Halak/Elliot is a reasonable place to look. One of the two should be able to be acquired. I would worry about terms and lengths with some of the guys you post - because not all of them are going to be better than Bryzgalov (believe it or not).

Any thoughts on the St. Louis keepers? Kinda surprised neither of them were in your post.

• Like 1

@ruxpin Yeah, I had Ellitot handcuffed to Halak last year in fantasy hockey. He had a wicked sub 2.00 GGA and a stellar Save % to go with 10 shut outs...he signs a 3 year deal for a reasonable number (around 2.2 mill per I think, that neighbourhood anyways), an proceeds to **** the bed in a big way. He has literally been useless this year, so much so, that the youngster Jake Allen is now the back-up (with good results btw) until Elliott can get his stuff together. Now would be a good time to strike, could probably get him for a song and dance right now. His value will never be lower...ha ha.

• Like 1

@ruxpin Yeah, I had Ellitot handcuffed to Halak last year in fantasy hockey. He had a wicked sub 2.00 GGA and a stellar Save % to go with 10 shut outs...he signs a 3 year deal for a reasonable number (around 2.2 mill per I think, that neighbourhood anyways), an proceeds to **** the bed in a big way. He has literally been useless this year, so much so, that the youngster Jake Allen is now the back-up (with good results btw) until Elliott can get his stuff together. Now would be a good time to strike, could probably get him for a song and dance right now. His value will never be lower...ha ha.

Capgeek has them both as UFA after next season. Both will be 28 at this point next season.

Again, trade them Pronger for the rights to negotiate. Pronger can "retire a Blue" and the Blues get cap floor security. Especially after next season, deal has a little more than $5M (total) to go.

@radoran So I see, both signed for next year and UFA the following year. That should make it more attractive to the Flyers. Believe it's 3.75 for Halak and 1.8 for Elliott, both very manageable numbers. They would provide an instant upgrade without the long term commitment, exactly what we are looking for, Homer should look into this, good idea rad!

I think the only real option there is Bernier. There was another such guy, but he got dealt last year to Columbus.

Every time I think of that trade, I clench my teeth. I mean… what exactly was the purpose of that trade? What was the point to get rid of Bob?

Holmgren is a miscreant, a reprobate who is on a mission to take this team down.

Every time I think of that trade, I clench my teeth. I mean… what exactly was the purpose of that trade? What was the point to get rid of Bob?

Holmgren is a miscreant, a reprobate who is on a mission to take this team down.

Salary cap, making Bryz feel comfortable to not look over his shoulder (for competition, the puck is another story), and allowing a young guy a chance to play.

None of those are good reasons.

Oh I know. Didn't say I agreed, just thought those were the agreed upon moronic reasons. Except the latter, as I appreciate the classy move.

I never wanted Bryz and wanted to see Bob grow with the team. Oh well. I guess those who were both Bob haters and Bryz fans are happy.

Salary cap, making Bryz feel comfortable to not look over his shoulder (for competition, the puck is another story), and allowing a young guy a chance to play.

Anyone who can't handle a little competition/skill from his back-up is probably not going to win you a Cup.

How about a goalie with a little confidence? Does anyone think that Patrick Roy ever gave a rip about who his back-up was? Or Brodeur? Or Hasek? Um, nope.

Oh I know. Didn't say I agreed, just thought those were the agreed upon moronic reasons. Except the latter, as I appreciate the classy move.

I never wanted Bryz and wanted to see Bob grow with the team. Oh well. I guess those who were both Bob haters and Bryz fans are happy.

I don't want to hear about "classy" when I hear "this is a business" so often.

We lost half a season to "business" and - under those circumstances - losing a valuable asset like Bob for the reason that "it was classy" is inexcusable. Comcast shareholders should be rightly pissed.

• Like 1

I don't want to hear about "classy" when I hear "this is a business" so often.

We lost half a season to "business" and - under those circumstances - losing a valuable asset like Bob for the reason that "it was classy" is inexcusable. Comcast shareholders should be rightly pissed.

A very fair point. I would only suggest that it's not always either or, and sometimes retaining a human element can go a long way. Maybe it will help recruit young UFAs trying to break out, knowing if they look good and get stuck, they will be moved? Yes, that's a reach. I've got nothing else.

@doom88

Braydon Schenn could be a 1st line center on one of the weaker teams (not named Flyers). Should Holmgren be nice and send him off?

Having a solid backup goalie is key to a great team. Getting rid of one is poor asset management unless you're being overcompensated, which we clearly weren't.. Not having anyone any good to replace him makes it even dumber.

• Like 2

how about "bob was pretty terrible as a backup"?

Which is kinda interesting considering that in his last season here, he started in measly 25 games. And out of those 25 games, he has 14 wins. Yes, maybe not the most breathtaking numbers you expect out of your backup, but if he rots on the bench for more than 70% of the season, how can anybody even be in a position to evaluate his game?