"Attempted" charging is a 2 and a 10 now?!?

Guest TedZep

"42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

Nothing about violently checking the glass, and nothing about a player named Rinaldo. Yet there it is.

I mentioned this in a thread about the NHL being a joke now.

Unreal. What direction is the NHL heading in now? Rinaldo has been doing an excellent job playing within the rules and wreaking havoc and yet he still gets these reputation penalties.

Meanwhile Gerbe gets away with holding up Giroux because why? He's small? WTF? I'm rapidly losing interest in this league and its very frustrating and depressing.

Please just stop using former players or anyone with strong NHL team ties in supplemental discipline. Please get some consistency with calls on the ice.

I understand some of these refs trying to control the game but this is getting ridiculous. Scott did not deserve the misconduct either. It will be tough for the NHL to rescind these calls because they are based on hearsay and the referees will simply say they earned them.....

• Like 1

The new refs are just too thin skinned and controlling to be in the Bigs. Many times the Refs I remember would let the player vent a little and then turn away saying that's enough and skate away.

I think many of the old refs had the respect of the players, something they earned. Many of the new refs, not so much....

...probably because there wasn't a hit.

If you call a guy for a hit that never happened, then I think you deserve an earful...

...From the coach or a player with a "C" or an "A" on his shirt.

That said, ten for Rinaldo for complaining about a hit that never happened is excessive. The problem is if you give him 2, then it's a double minor... so there is no "lesser" punishment really.

They should have a 2 or 5 minute misconduct for being an idiot. We can call it the "Don't be a Carcillo" rule. Your team isn't short handed for that time, but you still have to sit.

Had nothing to do with the hit.

He wasn't actually wasn't talking to ref. Rinaldo and a Sabre came together after the whistle and he was saying something to him. That's when he got the 10 minute. Pretty sure it was the same guy Simmonds detroyed earlier in the game. It was same thing as Scott earlier in the game. I wasn't sure either but I had the game on PVR and rewatched it and that's what the 10 minute was about.

Whoops, sorry about that. I thought the title of your thread was a rhetorical general statement and didn't look into it before I vented.

The Sabres were starting to get uppity after Simmonds' legal check and the refs decided to start sitting people no matter what. Rinaldo's reputation haunts him.