Giroux for Overall #1

ruxpin

Okay, just throwing this out here for general consumption and to see how many people's heads will explode.

How good is Seth Jones?

Would anyone here consider trading Giroux for the first overall pick in the draft?

Not a chance in hell. Jones looks to be a great pick. Giroux has already proven to be a great NHLer, and he's young. Heck, Jones may not end up being the best defenceman in this draft. He should be. But so did Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, Cam Barker, Thomas Hickey (to the Kings at least) etc. He's no sure thing.

• Like 1

Okay, just throwing this out here for general consumption and to see how many people's heads will explode.

How good is Seth Jones?

Would anyone here consider trading Giroux for the first overall pick in the draft?

Don't think it would be necessary. If the Flyers pick is high enough (as looks like it will be) then Couturier + first + ? might do it.

• Like 1

Where the Flyers look to be ending up, unless there is a big turn-around, then I don't think there will be any need to trade up.

Just sell off any of the dead weight and keep acquiring picks. The more picks, the higher the percentage of getting a NHL'er

• Like 2

How good is Seth Jones?

Boom!

• Like 1

Man, I wish we had been able to sign Schultz this off-season.

It would be very cool if Homer found a way to trade for that top pick.

I know everyone is soured on the kid, but I am still not in a hurry to trade Coutourier. I think he is going to be a really good player for the Flyers.

Depending on where we finish, why do we give up Couturier and a 1st for a guy who may or may not be as good as the defenceman we can just take with the 1st?

"Depending on where we finish" is the key phrase. From what I saw Jones was the best defenseman in the WJC, if not the best player period (excluding Gibson who was on fire). He's #1 on pretty much every prospect ranking and mock draft. There are a few other guys I'd be happy to have if Jones isn't possible- Nurse, Pulock, Ristolainen all look like they would help the defense (although I admit I haven't seen much of any of them) but from what I've seen they should be available in the 5-10 range. If the Flyers get a top 3-5 pick, do you trade down for one of them, or trade up for Jones? Based on what I've seen (again, with the caveat that I've seen more of Jones than the others) and the fact that the Flyers have too many centers, I'd lean towards Jones if possible. If it doesn't take Couturier, then all the better. But if it does, I'd probably be willing to pay that price.

Edited by JackStraw

I know everyone is soured on the kid, but I am still not in a hurry to trade Coutourier. I think he is going to be a really good player for the Flyers.

I haven't soured on him at all. But you have to give to get and the Flyers have needs. Couturier is the Flyers most desirable trade piece.

look no further than the edmonton oilers. they have how many #1's on that squad and where exactly are they today. Ruxpin Reported

LOL

If you're going to lose your job, your marriage, and your mind all in the same week, it's probably best to lose your mind first. That way, the others really don't matter as much.

@JackStraw

I'm not disputing Jones as a #1 pick. I'm saying we've seen both Johnsons being the undisputed best defencemen, Cam Barker etc and none of them ever lived up to their billing. Jones may or may not, but he's no sure fire guaranteed best defenceman in the draft. Nurse could very well be. So could a few others. It's probably Jones, and it was probably Erik Johnson or Cam Barker. But it wasn't. And I'm not giving up Couturier AND a pick that could be equal, better or worse than the #1 in hope that it is.

• Like 2

We do need a big Defenseman... but even a kid like that, it's going to take him a few years to get up to NHL speed.

The Flames or the Panthers will get him and Homer can get a crack at him in 4 years when he's an RFA... or Homer will just make it so that he stays where he is against his will for his entire career. One or the other.

How good is Seth Jones?

@flyercanuck - fair enough. There are certainly no guarantees in the draft (well, maybe a few occasionally) but apart from the physical skills, Jones impresses me with his poise. He looks like about as close to a sure thing as you're likely to get from a young defenseman. And Couturier is a valuable asset whose full value is not being realized with the Flyers and maybe never will. Again, where the Flyers actually finish will determine a lot of things. Maybe Couturier + Flyers first would bring back #1 overall+. My thinking is, I'm willing to include Couturier in a package (details yet to be determined on both sides) to get a potential #1.

@JackStraw

I just don't see a 1 for 2 benefitting us at this point. Of course it would all matter where our final seeding is for the draft. But if I'm given the choice between Jones or Couturier and say Nurse, i'll take my chances with the latter. If it's Jones or Couturier and the 15th pick, that's a different story.

And I agree about Jones.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

@JackStraw

I just don't see a 1 for 2 benefitting us at this point. Of course it would all matter where our final seeding is for the draft. But if I'm given the choice between Jones or Couturier and say Nurse, i'll take my chances with the latter. If it's Jones or Couturier and the 15th pick, that's a different story.

And I agree about Jones.

Who is Nurse?

Darnell Nurse. He's Donovan McNabbs nephew, but don't hold that against him...he's a great player. Soo Greyhounds, 6'5" about 200 lbs 11 g 27 a plays both ends of the rink well. Skates well. Playis an in your face game.