Iginla

Guest AndyS

If anything, the Flyers should be sellers at the trade deadline, regardless of their spot in the standings at the time. A quick little 5-6 game winning streak is a possiblity for this team. They could make the playoffs, but that would not change the problems on defense or in net. Sell the vets for picks/prospects and stay far far away from acquiring expensive vets at the deadline. Any world where Paul Gaustad is worth a 1st rounder is a world that I don't want to be part of....lol.

• Like 1

If anything, the Flyers should be sellers at the trade deadline, regardless of their spot in the standings at the time. A quick little 5-6 game winning streak is a possiblity for this team. They could make the playoffs, but that would not change the problems on defense or in net. Sell the vets for picks/prospects and stay far far away from acquiring expensive vets at the deadline. Any world where Paul Gaustad is worth a 1st rounder is a world that I don't want to be part of....lol.

The three obvious choice all have no movement clauses - Timo, Briere, Hartnell.

I can't see Timonen waiving. Not in his situation.

Briere would likely demand some real control over his destination - in which I mean another Walker-type salary cap probem.

I can't see the team cashing in Hartnell at this point.

Fedotenko - modified ntc.

Talbot? I like his game, especially at $1.75M through 15-16.

Meszaros? Value low because off injury.

Grossmann/Coburn? Again, I like the price tag and security of length.

I just don't think there are a lot of "tradeable" vets who will get anything of significant value.

If you get anyone to give you anything for Shelley, Knuble, Gervais or Foster make sure Dave Waddell or Scott Howson spells their name right on the deal.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Also, too, Gaustad was not and is not "worth a 1st." Wasn't last year, isn't now.

BUT, a 30-year-old *does* have more value than some of the older vets.

@radoran Yeah, now that you list them in order like that, don't really see to many tradable pieces. Hartnell is the most moveable commodity, but replacing his goals and grit in UFA would cost upwards of 6 mill, so a counter-productive at best there. Perhaps Kimo decides to move on, you would think he would want to put himself in a situation where he can win once in his career, that should be the goal, no? I doubt he moves on, but if I was him, I'd want my name engraved at some point.

@radoran Yeah, now that you list them in order like that, don't really see to many tradable pieces. Hartnell is the most moveable commodity, but replacing his goals and grit in UFA would cost upwards of 6 mill, so a counter-productive at best there. Perhaps Kimo decides to move on, you would think he would want to put himself in a situation where he can win once in his career, that should be the goal, no? I doubt he moves on, but if I was him, I'd want my name engraved at some point.

He didn't re-up with this team for a one-year deal to get dealt now. If they are in position to "Bourque" Timonen next season, I could see them doing it.

And then you have to replace Timonen - at which point I see some ridiculous deal for Bouwmeester. Groans ensue.

The problem the Flyers have is that they don't have two puck-moving defensemen. Timonen is fine as a #1 PP QB and a second-pairing role (he is second in the league to scoring, apparently above 5 of 6 players he couldn't get on the ice in front of in Pittsburgh :ph34r:). It's why they really miss Carle - he could move the puck (unlike an "offensive" defenseman like Foster who just shoots big).

Yes, $6M is a lot for that, but the Flyers overpaid for "leadership" and - I think - encouragement to return. Having done so, I don't see why the organization (as opposed to the fans) would want to trade him. Or why he leaves.

I can see them having a talk with Briere - and they could easily pull the deal on that buyout if they need cap space to land an offensive-minded defenseman (Joni Pitkanen says "hei" :ph34r:). But I just don't see it immediately.

I think there is a lot of self-explanation going on at 3600 S. Broad. It's a short season. Bad start. Pieces didn't gel. Just need to add a Dman. Injuries. Bad Bounces. Promising Young Core. Etc.

I'm betting they "reload" and take another shot with pretty much the same ammo next season. And then more heads roll than Joe Pesci can comfortably fit in a duffel bag.

The problem the Flyers have is that they don't have two puck-moving defensemen. Timonen is fine as a #1 PP QB and a second-pairing role (he is second in the league to scoring, apparently above 5 of 6 players he couldn't get on the ice in front of in Pittsburgh :ph34r:).

Laugh about the comment all you want... but a true #1 d-man playing his minutes and you'd probably be above .500. Letang and Martin are outplaying him by long shots, and though they don't have the point production, I would argue that the rest of the Pens defense has been more reliable. Every single Penguins d-man is ahead of Timonen in plus/minus, including Mark Eaton, Simon Depres, and Robert Bortuzzo... fighting for our number 6 spot. They don't get the power play time... so take away Timonen's power play time, he has 1 goal, 4 assists for 5 points. That would place him 6th in even strength on the Pens... and tied for 9th amongst defensemen in plus/minus. Timonen would be battling with them for that 3rd pairing. But he IS your fourth best defenseman plus/minus despite his whopping 5 even strength points. And do me a favor.. when you see him, thank him for the turnover that turned into the winning goal for us in the last game against your Flyers. He's been doing that more and more these days to help my point.

The more I think about it... he'd probably be in Wilkes-Barre Scranton... :ph34r:

Feds/Walker are off the cap next season already. Lilja is off the cap rightnow. We can presume Pronger on LTIR.

Flyers currently have (capgeek) $61.3M in payroll committed next season.

Remove Pronger and that's $56M. Remove Briere/Bryz and you have $44M on a $64.3M cap.

So, $20M. You need two goalies, 4 forwards. Give Perry $8.7M.

The problem then arises the NEXT year when you have to re-sign Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn. And "the greatest player in the world" will probably want what Perry got...

I'd rather we make a low-ball offer on Stephen Weiss of my backyard Panthers. I think that with a good team and skilled forwards this guy could produce and until this year, he's been durable. He might be a good UFA pickup. Iginla will cost too much to get, and too much to keep.

Peace,

Howie

@doom88 EXCEPT for the fact everyone knew he lacked foot speed, somehow, without skating on his side, the Flyers viewed him as an important piece.....if a guy can't skate, he can't skate, power skating school's etc, they never really help out, once you are 18 and slow, you will always be slow IMHO....there may be some rare excpetion, bu for the most part, I'd say that it's true. Really, really skeptical that Homer would make this pick and just hope for better skating....very odd.

@doom88 EXCEPT for the fact everyone knew he lacked foot speed, somehow, without skating on his side, the Flyers viewed him as an important piece.....if a guy can't skate, he can't skate, power skating school's etc, they never really help out, once you are 18 and slow, you will always be slow IMHO....there may be some rare excpetion, bu for the most part, I'd say that it's true. Really, really skeptical that Homer would make this pick and just hope for better skating....very odd.

What's your take on Couturier?

@doom88 Same thing, he won't amount to the star we think he will become due to the bad skating. It's not like Marshall where he can't get from point A to point B fast enough to stay in the league, but he will not become a top tier star because of his skating. Sad, but that's exactly why he slipped to us at number 8, the scouts did not like his skating.....they have been proven right to a certain extent.

• Like 1