So who stays & who goes?

Guest AndyS

Do the Ducks trade Perry, or do they trade Bobby Ryan to free up salary cap space to re-sign (and overpay for) Corey Perry?

A few months ago I would have said the latter, now I'm starting to think that Anaheim suddenly has a LOT of scoring depth, and could (should?) see how much they could get in return for Perry. Ryan could easily slide up into the top line, and one of their younger forwards could go to the 2nd line.

Tough decision to make. Ryan has been projected as a bit of a malcontent there, but that could've been the organization trying to soften the blow of losing him. Now Perry seems reluctant to sign... Who do you gamble on?

Tough decision to make. Ryan has been projected as a bit of a malcontent there, but that could've been the organization trying to soften the blow of losing him. Now Perry seems reluctant to sign... Who do you gamble on?

They have some issues with Bobby Ryan, but a lot of that would be solved by moving Perry and putting Ryan on the top line.

The Ducks could smooth things over with Ryan by simply committing to him.

I'm sure Perry has said he won't re-sign there. Andy, have you heard anything like that? I'd definately trade him before I lost him for nothing.

All that I have heard Perry say is that his agent & the Ducks are talking. He has stayed clear of saying anything too demonstrative either way (i.e. "I want to retire a Duck"). My hunch is that will make him a very serious offer, but if he declines, they will trade him to whichever team is willing to give them the biggest haul in return.

They have a ton of depth at forward right now. And they brought up Emerson Etem to give him a look. (He hasn't done much with the big club yet, but he's going to be a good one.)

Sucks for them, as disrupting this team right now could cost them a run at the Cup. They're that good right now.

@AndyS

Ya, tough decision to make. Imagine trading him, then going to the final and losing. He could certainly be the difference maker. Or keeping him and bowing out in the first round, only to lose him as a FA for nothing. They could sure get a nice package for him in a deal.

• Like 1

@AndyS

Ya, tough decision to make. Imagine trading him, then going to the final and losing. He could certainly be the difference maker. Or keeping him and bowing out in the first round, only to lose him as a FA for nothing. They could sure get a nice package for him in a deal.

Glad I'm not in Brian Murray's shoes.

Hopefully someone bowls him over with a huge offer. Long-term, that's probably his best scenario.

I have to think that Perry's camp is holding out for every last penny. If he isn't signed shortly (now that the Getzlaf contract is done), he's probably gone. And the Ducks will have no shortage of teams looking to make a deal for him.

Glad I'm not in Brian Murray's shoes.

Hopefully someone bowls him over with a huge offer. Long-term, that's probably his best scenario.

I have to think that Perry's camp is holding out for every last penny. If he isn't signed shortly (now that the Getzlaf contract is done), he's probably gone. And the Ducks will have no shortage of teams looking to make a deal for him.

Will Perry take less than Getzlaf? That's the $1,000,000 question...err, the $8,250,001 question.

Will Perry take less than Getzlaf? That's the $1,000,000 question...err, the $8,250,001 question.

The answer to that question is a definitive "No."

Probably looking for around $9 million/season for 7 or 8 years. He won a scoring title & a Hart trophy recently, so I'm sure that plays a big part. And he's in his prime.

Part of me hopes he stays, and part of me hopes that some GM out there makes the Ducks a huge offer for him.

The answer to that question is a definitive "No."

Probably looking for around $9 million/season for 7 or 8 years. He won a scoring title & a Hart trophy recently, so I'm sure that plays a big part. And he's in his prime.

Part of me hopes he stays, and part of me hopes that some GM out there makes the Ducks a huge offer for him.

Talk about a rock and a hard place.

I say go for the Cup even if it costs you any return on Perry.

• Like 1

Talk about a rock and a hard place.

I say go for the Cup even if it costs you any return on Perry.

If no one gives them a really good offer, that's exactly what I would do as well. To get a 2nd Cup in 6 years would be too sweet to give up on by trading away your best clutch scorer.

Will the players EVER realize the cap is dropping, not rising??

Not his problem. Even with the cap dropping, there will be teams lining up to overpay for a player like Perry. He will sell tickets, and instantly improve any team's playoff chances. Not very often you have the chance to sign a Hart & Rocket Richard trophy winner in his prime (27 yrs old).

Heck, if the Flyers dumped Briere & Bryz and went after Perry, it'd be hard to argue with it, IMO.

Not his problem. Even with the cap dropping, there will be teams lining up to overpay for a player like Perry. He will sell tickets, and instantly improve any team's playoff chances. Not very often you have the chance to sign a Hart & Rocket Richard trophy winner in his prime (27 yrs old).

Heck, if the Flyers dumped Briere & Bryz and went after Perry, it'd be hard to argue with it, IMO.

I guess what irks me about it is players will eventually make it impossible for their teams to win if they keep pushing for more more more... teams can't afford to pay for all of these guys raises when the cap is coming down. You'd think more players would want to take a little hit in order for their teams to be more competitive for the ultimate prize. I guess that's just old school thinking, but it's what I love about Crosby and so far Malkin... hopefully that continues with Geno.

I guess what irks me about it is players will eventually make it impossible for their teams to win if they keep pushing for more more more... teams can't afford to pay for all of these guys raises when the cap is coming down. You'd think more players would want to take a little hit in order for their teams to be more competitive for the ultimate prize. I guess that's just old school thinking, but it's what I love about Crosby and so far Malkin... hopefully that continues with Geno.

Isn't that sort of the reason they traded Staal away (to make cap space)?

Isn't that sort of the reason they traded Staal away (to make cap space)?

Nope.. they offered Staal a pretty big contract for ten years at $60 million. That's a pretty big contract offer for what he was producing. A LOT more than he was worth in my opinion, and as is now evidenced by Sutter's play.

By the way, that contract is exactly what he signed for in Carolina.

Nope.. they offered Staal a pretty big contract for ten years at $60 million. That's a pretty big contract offer for what he was producing. A LOT more than he was worth in my opinion, and as is now evidenced by Sutter's play.

By the way, that contract is exactly what he signed for in Carolina.

But didn't he turn that offer down with the Pens? I can't remember?

But didn't he turn that offer down with the Pens? I can't remember?

Yes he refused to sign it saying he wanted to test the market. That was Staal-speak for I don't want to be third line anymore, send me to play with my brother. Just saying it wasn't a cap move as much as it was an "I love Pittsburgh but I really want to be in a different role" move. As per his comments.

Yes he refused to sign it saying he wanted to test the market. That was Staal-speak for I don't want to be third line anymore, send me to play with my brother. Just saying it wasn't a cap move as much as it was an "I love Pittsburgh but I really want to be in a different role" move. As per his comments.

That's a LOT of money to pay a 3rd line forward, isn't it? (Kind of hard to blame him for that or for wanting to play with his brother.)

Maybe he thought they should commit to him instead of Neal? (If that's the case, the Pens made the right decision.)

That's a LOT of money to pay a 3rd line forward, isn't it? (Kind of hard to blame him for that or for wanting to play with his brother.)

Maybe he thought they should commit to him instead of Neal? (If that's the case, the Pens made the right decision.)

I think the Pens won a Cup with three deep at center and thought it a recipe for success. I'm glad he's gone though. I think he was the most overrated Penguin in recent history.

@flyercanuck

True! But Malkin might take the same deal... Wonder how many Rubles that is....?

So instead of caving, and signing a player, at above market rate, for his skills. Shero traded him for a younger, better version. Damn...must be nice to have a "real" GM.

• Like 1

So instead of caving, and signing a player, at above market rate, for his skills. Shero traded him for a younger, better version. Damn...must be nice to have a "real" GM.

I dunno about better version. Better defender I think, and developing offensive talent, but Jordan Staal is a pretty good offensive talent. Lazy defender but the kid can score. Sutter is showing a knack for it though so time will tell. I'm thrilled with the trade myself, as we got Sutter and two great defensive prospects for him.