Bobs NHL #1 star this week, wonder how he would do with our D?

Guest Samifan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417912

Congrats to Bob for being named #1 star for the week. Wonder how he would be fairing with our D in front of him, better or worse than Breezy?

I would say the same, or maybe a little worst. I'm not ready to throw Bryz under the bus until we see a legit NHL defense in front of him. Which means next year. I think it was a mistake with Bob. It is also interesting to see Carter with 17 goals, right up near the top in the NHL. As long as everything with this organization continues to be a "win-now" mentality, it will be what it is.

• Like 1

It is also interesting to see Carter with 17 goals, right up near the top in the NHL

Interesting maybe, but not very surprising. We all knew he could score goals. Also not very surprising is that he only has 2 assists, for 19 pts. Jake is 10th in the league in scoring, 10 pts more than Carter. I'll take that. Especially when you throw Couturier into the deal.

I would say that the Carter and Richards trades were rare instances of the organization not being in a "win-now" frame of mind. Let's hope it continues for at least one more year.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

bob had some pretty good stretches for us, but they never really lasted long. it will be interesting to see if this is one of those or if he's turned a corner. i'm still not sold on bob yet... really inconsistent. still wish we had him though. instead of mr. mcleaky goalsferdstons leighton.

@murraycraven I honestly believe Bob is a legit number #1 goalie. He will inevitably make Columbus a team to be reckoned with, esp when they build the team around him properly. He's already better than what we have, that gap will widen going forward. Quciker, better positioning than Bryz...already, and trending upwards.

• Like 2

People, lets think about this, Bryz has been in the league alot of years, what you see is pretty much what he is. Slow, poor mechanics, lots of rebounds, cant handle the puck,horribel in shootouts, or one on one shots, he cannot steal a game and is mentally weak. Bob has only become a strarter this year and is out playing Bryz. Sure our defense is bad, but Columbus is not exactly a powerhouse. Bob had some flaws in his game, but his overall natural talent was the best of any goalie we had since Lindbergh. Bob has fantastic reflexes, great lateral movement and is better than any goalie weve had in many years at one on one stops. If Bob is properly coached and learns to stand up a bit more and keep his glove in the right postion, he will be way better than Bryz. Bobs natural ability blows Bryz away....

Well we wouldn't have had today's defense as Bryz wouldn't have been signed to there would have been more money to keep Carle so who knows. Nonetheless i was a Bob fan and though the team went the wrong direction. If so this was because of Snyder not Holmgren.

It's been fun to watch him here in Columbus. I think he's just what the Bluejackets need. He has a lot of room to grow within that organisation as it is still young and developing, like him - both trying to find their identity. I'm glad he has this opportunity. He's shown flashes of brilliance, or maybe if that's too hyperbolic, just strong solid play. And he's done it with a defense that's arguably worse than the Flyers have.

Bob could be a really good goalie one day. Perhaps even great. I like Bob and since we're in a rebuilding year ourselves, would have liked to see him stay here and be a part of that. It was disappointing to see him go. I would have much preferred keeping him, developing him, over signing Bryz to this albatross of a contract. At the end of the day, we gambled on Bryz and so far, at least in my opinion, we've lost our money and haven't earned it back to break even yet. Maybe in the next three or four years when he's pushing forty......oh, wait, I just realized how ridiculous that sounded. Unless you're Marty Brodeur, of course.

Interesting maybe, but not very surprising. We all knew he could score goals. Also not very surprising is that he only has 2 assists, for 19 pts. Jake is 10th in the league in scoring, 10 pts more than Carter. I'll take that. Especially when you throw Couturier into the deal.

I would say that the Carter and Richards trades were rare instances of the organization not being in a "win-now" frame of mind. Let's hope it continues for at least one more year.

Jake is a flash in the pan. Couts will be traded. The Flyers will be sellers in less than 2 weeks. Carter and Richards (and Gagne) have a Cup which is more that I can say for most of the Flyers players. No beef here just saying it is what it is and the organization has and will have serious issues as long as Snider is the owner, Clarke maintains some influence in who knows what he does as senior VP, and they continue to put former Flyers in as GM and behind the bench. There is no plan. There is no system. This is no real organization. As long as they sell tickets and merchandise, Comcast and Ed are happy.

@BearOnIce - I agree with a lot of what you say, but not all of it. Jake is a genuine talent. He has speed, size, and skill. He plays hard every shift. Can't ask for much more than that. He was the 7th overall pick in 2007 (ahead of Couture, B Sutter, Shattenkirk...), so it's not like his play should be a complete surprise. And yes, Carter and Richards have their names on the Cup, but they were complementary pieces in LA not "the" guys like they were in Philly. They're better suited to their roles in LA than they were with the Flyers. I think the Carter trade was a clear win for the Flyers and the Richards trade was win-win for both teams. Honestly, I like the players we got better than the ones we gave up, and I was never a Carter or Richards hater. Also agree that Couts is likely to be trade bait, but that's ok if he nets a good return, which he should do.

But as far as the organization's "plan" for building a team, I agree. It doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417912

Congrats to Bob for being named #1 star for the week. Wonder how he would be fairing with our D in front of him, better or worse than Breezy?

Considering Kimmo Timonen has more points than all of the CBJ defenders combined...

That CBJ is near the bottom in Goals/Game (28th)

That CBJ gives up nearly 4 more SOG on average than the Flyers

That they take fewer shots than any club besides Nashville

That CBJ's PP is next to last the NHL (their Road PP scores 7% of the time; only Detroit is worse)

Just a sampling of some numbers...not sure what they say about Bob vs. Bryzgalov but it seems plain that Bob has won games despite his skaters much of the time.

Some were saying the same thing about Bryzgalov the first month and they were probably right. Lately though it's obvious (to me at least) Bryzgalov has lost whatever focus he had that first month.

Edited by canoli