"LET'S MAKE A DEAL!"

Guest nossagog

Deadline day is April 3rd. Time to start looking for how to improve the Pens for a cup run. To start out with, let's take a look at the different facets of the team.

Top Six - I'm not seeing a trade happening here. Crosby is very comfortable with Kunitz and Dupuis and is turning points like a slot machine. Beau is looking fantastic on Malkin's wing with Neal. In the end, I so nothing happening at the top.

Checking line- Not the same without Staal, but Kennedy-Sutter-"The Most Hated Man in Hockey" are playing pretty well. They could just use a few goals. I could part with Kennedy here, I think that he may have some worth, and the addition of someone who could add a few goals would greatly help.

Banger Line - Keep Vitale and maybe Adams, the rest are up for improving. Don't have the patience for Glass any longer due to his silly penalties, but he is the only tough guy of any of our forwards. Jeffery's stock has been going down, at one point slotted for the second line, he's luck to be getting time on the fourth. Right now the fourth line is a major liability, and will get killed away from home when we don't get the last line change. Minor changes possible. I don't see them getting alot of time in the playoffs, and I also think that Geno and Sid will get double shifted alot as their center.

Defense - Martin,Letang,Nisky, Orpik and Eaton are fine. I worry about Despres during the playoffs, I think other teams will try to bang on him hard. Engelland and Bortozzo are not playing up to what the expectation are, and if an upgrade can be made there, I would do so. Problem is that Engelland is our real physical enforcing type. I would love to have Engelland pick up his play, and become a physical presence on the ice as well as the enforcer, but I don't see that this year. We could use a pure shut down defenseman.

Goaltending - It is what it is, we're not changing now. Its a change that has to be made somehow in the offseason.

Power Play - No need to change a thing or look to improve by addition, its fine.

PK - MEH, where to start. The problems are in front of the net. No one to clear the junk. I think the forwards are not the problem(Dupers, Adams, Cooke, but once set up in the zone, we need someone in front(ala S.S. Gill) who can move players without penalties. If we cannot upgrade this somehow, we are in trouble. Again, need that Shutdown type defenseman.

Okay, Personally, I think we need to look at the blue line and pick up a good shutdown defenseman, don't need an offensive one, and maybe an upgrade or two on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Gotta leave at the moment, but I'll try to do an untouchable/available list later.

• Like 1

@nossagog

Pretty much spot on except I'd put upgrading the 4th line as the priority over upgrading the back end of the D. Vitale is a -8. Glass is -9. Adams is -5. Worst on the team. A worst case scenario is your 4th line breaking even. These guys have been pretty bad this year.

@nossagog

@B21

I'd be rid of Tanner Glass. He's been less than unimpressive this season. He's frequently out of position, and usually if he's IN position, he is only there to take a stupid penalty. I liked it when they signed him. I'd like it more if they got rid of him.

Otherwise, Adams and Vitale were doing great as a fourth line in the past, no reason a replacement for Glass couldn't bring back the pep they had been playing with previously.

As for defense... I think Orpik is hurt. I really have noticed him struggle the past six or seven games. He took a shot off the foot and hobbled his way to the bench a game before that, so I'm thinking he has some undisclosed unjury that just has him off his game. He doesn't seem to be the physical presence he usually is.

I think Bortuzzo has played well but is still maturing and having some growing pains. I like Depres, and I think the more he plays the better off he will be. I don't see an issue with our defense overall. I think the penalty kill is a matter of physicality in front of the net, and that is something you can bring out of current players without the need to bring in new faces. It just seems they're playing the puck more than the body, and that makes rebounds a difficult thing to keep from going back into the net.

@nossagog

@B21

I'd be rid of Tanner Glass. He's been less than unimpressive this season. He's frequently out of position, and usually if he's IN position, he is only there to take a stupid penalty. I liked it when they signed him. I'd like it more if they got rid of him.

Otherwise, Adams and Vitale were doing great as a fourth line in the past, no reason a replacement for Glass couldn't bring back the pep they had been playing with previously.

As for defense... I think Orpik is hurt. I really have noticed him struggle the past six or seven games. He took a shot off the foot and hobbled his way to the bench a game before that, so I'm thinking he has some undisclosed unjury that just has him off his game. He doesn't seem to be the physical presence he usually is.

I think Bortuzzo has played well but is still maturing and having some growing pains. I like Depres, and I think the more he plays the better off he will be. I don't see an issue with our defense overall. I think the penalty kill is a matter of physicality in front of the net, and that is something you can bring out of current players without the need to bring in new faces. It just seems they're playing the puck more than the body, and that makes rebounds a difficult thing to keep from going back into the net.

Somone call Hal Gill!

@nossagog

Nice post. I think every team needs that shut down defensemen, not really sure who you would be after since the majority of the veteran FA are playing on teams also vying for a playoff position.

I do think Pittsburgh could use a fourth line center that could be counted on to win face-offs, maybe someone like a Eric Belanger out of Edmonton.

Pittsburgh is on a roll right now, I have to say I thought they would struggle more without Jordan Staal up the middle but Sutter fits.

• Like 1

@nossagog

@B21

I'm not sure they can. Depres, Bortozzo and Engelland won't see the chance of PK time. Letang,Martin,Niskanen and Eaton and are all positional defensemen, they are not going to clear the crease. Orpik is all there is to try to move bodies in front of the net, and I don't think he can do it.

Add the fact that our PK seems to be a box that leaves the man in front of the net open, there is not a dedicated defender to move him out of the way. The goals in the Leaf's game are perfect examples, deflection by player one foot off the crease, rebound by player four feet from crease. Our stratagy seems to be to leave him there and hope to clog the lanes so the puck never gets in there.

Ah, the memories of Gil and Scuderi, there was a pair. Not flashy, pretty much not going to contribute in goal production, but a pair where when the Stanley Cup was on the line, it was they who were called upon for the last frantic moments. Gil was slow as a slug(sorry slugs), but he knew his limitations and never got caught pinching, and could clear anyone from the front of the net with his frame. Scuds couldn't hit the net if his life depended on it(hence the nickname Scuds for the Iraqi Scud missles who had a accuracy rate of Mr. Magoo), but would lay his body on the line to block a shot with a minute left in a 10-1 game. That's the kind of pair that the Pens need.

Edited by nossagog

Random thoughts on Player status(IMHO)

Rule says no one should be Untouchable, but I would have serious issues if any of these guys were traded before the deadline:

Crosby/Malkin - No ammount of rationalization could ever be done to explain how trading either of those guys would help a team before a playoff run.

Kunitz - Wouldn't have said that in prior years, but right now the man is on fire. Normally not untouchable, but I don't think I could justify a trade that would make us better AT THIS POINT.

Letang - Too valuable a defenseman to give up

Bennett - Next wave star of the Pens. I wouldn't normally put such a young player as untouchable, but this guy has all the makings of a star forward.

Neal - Man is rounding into form for the Pens and starting to produce 5v5.

Fleury - Sigh, Deadline day is not the time to make a goaltending change. But his numbers are NOT worthy of a $5M/year goalie. He's not untouchable as a player, but it would do damage to change out a goalie at this point in the season.

Would be sad if they got dealt, but its a business:

Dupuis - Love the guys effort on and off the ice.

Despres - Almost felt as I did with Bennett, but we have too many offensive defenseman. If we are keeping Letang around long term, Despres could bring in alot.

Niskanen - I think he's underrated, great defensively. He could fill that Scuderi role on a shutdown pair.

Joe Vitale - Should be the core of the fourth line, but for some reason Bylsma doesn't think so. Puts in great effort, and I believe is good defensively. I think that Glass has pictures of Bylsma from the awards ceremony in Las Vegas that keeps him in the lineup over Vitale.

Martin - For two years we have been waiting to see this Paul Martin. He's finally arrived, which means that sadly his trade value is at an all time high. If he was part of a package that brought us a big defensive defenseman, I'm all for it.

Engelland - Only enforcer type on the team, but is a liability defensively. Don't usually need enforcers in the playoffs.

Eaton - I think he can be valuable as a pure defenseman in the playoffs. Good thing for the short year at his age.

Orpik - Will always have the memory of that famous shift in the Cup Finals where you put down 4 Wings in about 15 seconds with solid checks. Where did that Brooks Orpik go?????

Sutter - Working well as the center for the third line. Solid defensively and in the faceoff dot. Would love to see him push that line a little more offensively, but what can you do with TK and Cookie.

Thanks for the memories, and good luck in the future:

Tyler Kennedy . . . Kennedy - Had high hopes, but is still just the grinder that he was, didn't work out on the second line and is great at hitting the goalie right in the logo.

Matt Cooke - Has really changed his game, but can easily be replaced.

Craig Adams - Solid role player, interchangable part.

Dustin Jeffery - You can only be a prospect for so long, at some point you have to actually produce.

Tomas Vokoun - Had high hopes, maybe to push Fleury out, but NAH. That goal in the second Philly game this year to lose it after your team fought so hard to tie the game will forever be in my mind.

And I'll give you a bag of pucks(used):

Tanner Glass - Yes he'll drop the gloves, otherwise useless.

Edited by nossagog

Random thoughts on Player status(IMHO)

Rule says no one should be Untouchable, but I would have serious issues if any of these guys were traded before the deadline:

Crosby/Malkin - No ammount of rationalization could ever be done to explain how trading either of those guys would help a team before a playoff run.

Kunitz - Wouldn't have said that in prior years, but right now the man is on fire. Normally not untouchable, but I don't think I could justify a trade that would make us better AT THIS POINT.

Letang - Too valuable a defenseman to give up

Bennett - Next wave star of the Pens. I wouldn't normally put such a young player as untouchable, but this guy has all the makings of a star forward.

Neal - Man is rounding into form for the Pens and starting to produce 5v5.

Fleury - Sigh, Deadline day is not the time to make a goaltending change. But his numbers are NOT worthy of a $5M/year goalie. He's not untouchable as a player, but it would do damage to change out a goalie at this point in the season.

Would be sad if they got dealt, but its a business:

Dupuis - Love the guys effort on and off the ice.

Despres - Almost felt as I did with Bennett, but we have too many offensive defenseman. If we are keeping Letang around long term, Despres could bring in alot.

Niskanen - I think he's underrated, great defensively. He could fill that Scuderi role on a shutdown pair.

Joe Vitale - Should be the core of the fourth line, but for some reason Bylsma doesn't think so. Puts in great effort, and I believe is good defensively. I think that Glass has pictures of Bylsma from the awards ceremony in Las Vegas that keeps him in the lineup over Vitale.

Martin - For two years we have been waiting to see this Paul Martin. He's finally arrived, which means that sadly his trade value is at an all time high. If he was part of a package that brought us a big defensive defenseman, I'm all for it.

Engelland - Only enforcer type on the team, but is a liability defensively. Don't usually need enforcers in the playoffs.

Eaton - I think he can be valuable as a pure defenseman in the playoffs. Good thing for the short year at his age.

Orpik - Will always have the memory of that famous shift in the Cup Finals where you put down 4 Wings in about 15 seconds with solid checks. Where did that Brooks Orpik go?????

Sutter - Working well as the center for the third line. Solid defensively and in the faceoff dot. Would love to see him push that line a little more offensively, but what can you do with TK and Cookie.

Thanks for the memories, and good luck in the future:

Tyler Kennedy . . . Kennedy - Had high hopes, but is still just the grinder that he was, didn't work out on the second line and is great at hitting the goalie right in the logo.

Matt Cooke - Has really changed his game, but can easily be replaced.

Craig Adams - Solid role player, interchangable part.

Dustin Jeffery - You can only be a prospect for so long, at some point you have to actually produce.

Tomas Vokoun - Had high hopes, maybe to push Fleury out, but NAH. That goal in the second Philly game this year to lose it after your team fought so hard to tie the game will forever be in my mind.

And I'll give you a bag of pucks(used):

Tanner Glass - Yes he'll drop the gloves, otherwise useless.

I agree with most of your summation with some minor exceptions. I don't want to see Sutter go. Regardless of his goal scoring this year, I think he's perfect for the third line center role, and that's something our team has needed for some time. Who'd have thought he'd have more goals than Jordan Staal at ANY time in the season. I also don't want Martin to go anywhere, BECAUSE he's regained the shut down form he had when we acquired him.

Yes our defensemen are largely positional, with the exception of the recently AWOL Orpik... but I really don't have a problem with that as long as they're IN position. It's when they go scrambling that they have trouble, and if they're scrambling, it doesn't matter if they're physical players or not... they get scored upon. EVERY defense scrambling gets scored upon. As for Orpik ,he's still near the top of the league in blocked shots, and fits the role you're speaking of Scuderi having years back. Just wish he'd return to his hitting form as well.

I say get rid of Glass immediately. He flat out sucks. Was supposed to be an energy guy with a talent for fighting, but I see neither, really. MIddleweights are a dime a dozen. He could've blocked Chara's shot tonight and chose not to... that tells you all you need to know about Glass.

Kennedy needs to go as well. Jeffrey needs more time in the AHL... like ... until the end of his career.

I am actually starting to like Cooke. Is he expendable? Sure... but I'd actually have him in the hate to see him go bracket these days. He creates energy and still hits, but does so cleanly.

I agree with most of your summation with some minor exceptions. I don't want to see Sutter go. Regardless of his goal scoring this year, I think he's perfect for the third line center role, and that's something our team has needed for some time. Who'd have thought he'd have more goals than Jordan Staal at ANY time in the season. I also don't want Martin to go anywhere, BECAUSE he's regained the shut down form he had when we acquired him.

Yes our defensemen are largely positional, with the exception of the recently AWOL Orpik... but I really don't have a problem with that as long as they're IN position. It's when they go scrambling that they have trouble, and if they're scrambling, it doesn't matter if they're physical players or not... they get scored upon. EVERY defense scrambling gets scored upon. As for Orpik ,he's still near the top of the league in blocked shots, and fits the role you're speaking of Scuderi having years back. Just wish he'd return to his hitting form as well.

I say get rid of Glass immediately. He flat out sucks. Was supposed to be an energy guy with a talent for fighting, but I see neither, really. MIddleweights are a dime a dozen. He could've blocked Chara's shot tonight and chose not to... that tells you all you need to know about Glass.

Kennedy needs to go as well. Jeffrey needs more time in the AHL... like ... until the end of his career.

I am actually starting to like Cooke. Is he expendable? Sure... but I'd actually have him in the hate to see him go bracket these days. He creates energy and still hits, but does so cleanly.

That's why I broke them down as I did. I don't want to see Sutter or Orpik go either, but if something great did come up, well . . .

But as for Orpik, I just don't know what's going on. Even last year everyone thought he may be injured because he just wasn't the same. His blocks come alot from being the guy around the net, not that he's laying himself out though. And he just doesn't have that nastiness any longer.

@nossagog

Makes you wonder why that is. How does a guy as competitive as he was suddenly just not care anymore? Last year he seemed a bit down, but this year it's quite noticeable. Maybe winning the Cup took his fire out of him? It's a shame... he's been one of my favorite Penguins for some time. He has to fix it!!

Oh, and I finally replaced my Gonchar jersey with his last year.. so it's my fault! :wacko:

Edited by Polaris922

• 2 weeks later...

Rumble Rumble, trade clouds on the horizon.

Okay, so last night, Tyler Kennedy gets a healthy scratch. Not that its not deserved, 7 pts for the year, the Pens are expecting more. But it was quite sudden, and he would be MUCH better a choice than Tanner Glass on the fourth line at least.

Taking his place in the lineup last night was Trevor Smith, don't even believe he participated in the game day skate, Kennedy did.

Could be that the Pens are finally done waiting for TK to step up. He's a restricted free agent next year, maybe its time to go. Obviously, there's not much worth on his own, he'd have to be packaged up with with someone else. So he would have to get packaged up with probably one of our defensemen. But which would the Pens be willing to give up. The Pens have alot of youth at defense, please not Despres. Can't see Letang, Martin or Orpik, they are actually coming into form well. Bortozzo and Engelland I don't thing would fetch anything big. Eaton's too old for value. Niskanen may be the odd guy out. Good servicable defenseman, with youth on his side. Package him up with Kennedy and maybe a late round pick, and you may be able to upgrade to a bigger defenseman.

BUT WAIT, Billy Mays here. If you are the first team calling, we'll give you this added bonus, Tanner Glass, ABSOLUTELY FREE(just pay one bag of used pucks for shipping and handling)

Okay, so last night, Tyler Kennedy gets a healthy scratch. Not that its not deserved, 7 pts for the year, the Pens are expecting more. But it was quite sudden, and he would be MUCH better a choice than Tanner Glass on the fourth line at least.

I believe Kennedy didn't play due to the flu last night and was a late scratch.

• Like 1

Couple of other interesting rumors concerning the Pens this weekend.

Jaromir Jagr - Would be nice to see him end in the 'burgh, but would simply be a playoff rental. Top lines are IMHO NOT where we need help.

Brenden Morrow - Would not be able to resign with his current cap hit. The would probably want Bennet or Despres. No thanks

Jordan Leopold - Been there, done that. Not what I'm looking at for a "Shutdown" defensman. Pass.

Stil looking . . . . . . . .

• Like 1

Revisiting my initial post here.

Still don't know if I'm sold on the Morrow deal because of the prospect, but it was less that I thought we'd pay and here's where he helps. Morrow can play on the PK, helps upgrade the third line(either him or bennet playing there) and adds a physical presence and more leadership to the team to the team. Playing with the kids and having none of the myriad of responsibles as a captain may make it enjoyable to just play the game.

Murry, like this much more. BIG BODY in front of the net, can clear room for Fleury. Can play the PK, again, clearing the crease. Increased physical nature of the team for playoffs. Possible of two second rounders could be the price of a Stanley Cup.

The Pens went from having mediocre physical team to being real physical.

Downside is that I see them both being rentals, unless they win the cup and one of them has soo much fun he forgoes monetary gratification to go for it again. Hey come on, quit laughing, it COULD happen!

• Like 1

@nossagog Yes, I agree, you guys just got a whole lot more physical....which, we all know, is essential for winning the cup. Betcha Murray is thrilled to be leaving the Sharks org, who always seem to choke in the playoffs, despite high regular season standings. but at 6'3 and a whopping 245lbs, that guy is gonna be a load for anyone who has the inclantion of parking themselves in front of Fleury.

Imagine that, actually stockpiling 2nd rounders and using them to make a useful addition to the team.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The afternoon drive guys on The Fan had the Fox Sports Dallas guy on to talk about Morrow. They asked him about Murray since the Stars see more of the Sharks than we do. His reply...

"How can you not like a guy nicknamed The Crankshaft?"

@Polaris922 He has this neandrertalic cro-magna look to him, looks like a mean dude. Should he supplant Eaton, this move looks genius, WAY more playoff experience than Eaton. If you look at the plus minus stats in the playoffs, it's usally the rookies/youngsters or the 5/6 pairing that gets picked on the most, so that worry was just taken care of. The more I think about this deal, the more I like it for you guys (although I never disliked it)...I'm happy for you guys.....you are loyal fans that deserve a nice playoff run, as much as it pains me to say that....LOL!

@jammer2

Well we appreciate that bud. I think we may be in for a good ride... I'm thinking ECF if not even the Cup Finals... but you know how that goes. It really can disappear in a heartbeat. THe team is playing great right now, fighting the full 60 minutes... without Malkin or in my mind, more importantly, Letang. We'll see what these new faces do to the chemistry. That is my only concern. Gotta go one game at a time yet... so we'll see where we end up. Thanks for the thoughts though... even though it's against your Flyers training ;)