Bryzgalov thinks Flyers are ‘done’ if NJ Devils sweep

I know the flyers are in a rut but man your own goalie should not be saying crap like since he is getting paid 60 mill for being an avg goalie

The Philadelphia Flyers have 25 points in 27 games, sitting three points out of the eight seed with the New York Rangers (24 games) and four points out of the seven seed (26 games).

Things are dire, but not insurmountable for a team many pegged as an Eastern Conference playoff team to start the season. But according to Flyers goalie/Cosmonaut Ilya Bryzgalov, if they don’t take two games from the Devils this week on Wednesday and Friday, Philly might as well pack up the tents.

From Sam Carchidi of the Inquirer:

"You win both games, and you tied with them and you have a good chance to continue to battle for the playoffs," he said after Tuesday's practice in Voorhees.

"You lose both games, you done. You done. That's it. This is it. This is probably reality. You'd be eight points behind ...and not many games to catch up. It would be very, very difficult. It's not going to depend on you (if you lose two), it's going to depend more on other teams than you. That's the importance of these games."

This follows Bryz’s assessment of the Flyers from March 5, after a loss to the Rangers:

"Not good," he said. "We're not good. We obviously not in the spot where we want to be and (if nothing changes) it's going to be more ugly. What else can I say? This is the reality."

Who knew Ilya Bryzgalov would be the realist for the Flyers?

He’s right: The Flyers are very close to having to rely on the kindness (or feebleness) of conference foes.

That’s the problem with trying to rally in the lockout-shortened season with an intra-conference schedule: No games in which, say, the Rangers don’t gain points against a Western Conference opponent. Every point the Rangers lose will be another Eastern Conference team’s gain.

As an aside: If we had told you the Flyers would be in danger of missing the playoffs in March, back when the season started, how many of you would have pinned it on Bryz?

Instead, with 26 starts in 28 games after Wednesday and a respectable 2.77 GAA behind a porous Flyers defense, he’s been the best player on the ice in some games.

And, apparently, he's been one of their most vocal leaders, too.

http://sports.yahoo....X09mZg--;_ylv=3

http://sports.yahoo....X09mZg--;_ylv=3

I know the flyers are in a rut but man your own goalie should not be saying crap like since he is getting paid 60 mill for being an avg goalie

Eventhough it's possibility that the Flyers might be in a hole to try back into the playoff race, I'm sure Bryzgalov isn't impressing his teammates with his comments. It's just another reason why Holmgren should buy this idiot out at the end of the season.

• Like 2

Eventhough it's possibility that the Flyers might be in a hole to try back into the playoff race, I'm sure Bryzgalov isn't impressing his teammates with his comments. It's just another reason why Holmgren should buy this idiot out at the end of the season.

Easy Breezy Beautiful color girl is just a moron I cant wait till hes gone. The team infront of him has no confidence in him what so ever

Edited by FlyersFan4Life

The rest of the team said that the NYR/PIT/BOS series was a "make or break" for the team.

How dare they put themselves down like that.

They are now estimating they need to win 16 of 22 to control their own destiny.

Maybe Bryzgalov should have waited until there were 16 games left and maybe the rest of the team might start to play 60 minutes of hockey on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

Meanwhile at the Stately Snider Manor, Ed is holding Meela hostage and will not release her unless Bryz wins 16 games. Also, the Diabolical Eddie has Paul Holmgren on the phone with Petr Nedved's agent.

051120AAAluminium_Cage_Siberian_Husky.jpg

Hard to argue with him in this case. He's right. (Of course, if he's going to run his mouth, he'd better play well.)

And if his teammates are offended by that statement, they have more problems than we thought.

Here's an idea: man up and take care of freaking business. Try to win a few games in a row. Play the full 60 minutes tonight.

Let's go Flyers!

• Like 2

Scott Hartnell called the way the team has been playing "embarassinig" and that the Pittsburgh game was a "big letdown"

Claude Giroux says this season is "disappointing"

But Bryzgalov says something and it's clearly a disheartening thing for the team to hear.

You know what, good. Be disheartened. Put your tail between your legs and run home crying to mother.

Or man up and play some ####ing hockey.

• Like 3

honestly I dont' have a problem with what he said. In fact it is about time somebody stood up and faced facts. Just my opinion.

This (Bryz) is on Snider and the GM. Snider more because he panders to the Flyer Fans with his "win at all costs mentality" that continually sets this franchise back.

@BearOnIce

I agree, however from the Owner's point of view I would want to put out the best product I could every year and try to win the cup. If not for the fans but for the $$$ - it is an entainment business. Anyway I believe Snider painted Homer in this corner so he had to make the Bryz deal. But back to the point of the tread, I don't have a problem with what Bryz said. Hopefully it can light some fires. Can't wait for tonight.

I'm no fan of Bryz, but why should these guys get so disheartened by a dose of reality? Did he say anything that they are not already thinking? Probably not. Who cares if he said it publicly? It's not like he said they all suck and I'm the only reason we are not in dead last.

• Like 2

Bryzgalov doesn't lie. The universe IS humongous big, and the the Flyers are done if they don't sweep the Devils and then go on one hell of a tear.

There haven't been enough boots in enough asses of this Flyer's team, I don't mind if he wants to contribute his.

• Like 1