Pens want Iginla?

Guest Polaris922

From THN...

The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reported Saturday “many GMs” believe the Pittsburgh Penguins will try to acquire Flames captain Jarome Iginla before the trade deadline.

I don't know what to make of this. I have pro's and con's. what do you think?

From THN...

The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reported Saturday “many GMs” believe the Pittsburgh Penguins will try to acquire Flames captain Jarome Iginla before the trade deadline.

I don't know what to make of this. I have pro's and con's. what do you think?

No, no, no and NO!

This team is a solid 4th line forward (replace Tanner Glass) away from being 'perfect' once it's healthy.

Two loaded scoring lines. A solid 3rd line that can shut down the opposition's top line or score if needed. (I know we love to kill Kennedy but he stepped up when Malkin and Crosby were out). Incredible depth on D....how many teams can literally platoon d-men based on the opposition and not miss a beat? Physical team? Dress Engelland and/or Bortuzzo. Less physical? Depres. Sprinkle in a Mark Eaton and you have a deep, versatile and well rested d-man corps for the playoffs.

If he doesn't cost us one of the young d-men or a 1st round pick....grudgingly I'll do it. 2nd and 3rd. Throw in Dustin Jeffrey or maybe a Scott Harrington. No 1st. No Depres, Maatta, Pouliot, Morrow or Dumoulin.

IF it happens....where does he go? Only two options...he either bumps Dupuis to the 3rd or 4th line or Bennett to the AHL. Crosby loves playing with Dupuis and no way you separate him and Selke finalist ;) Chris Kunitz they way they have been playing. Would hate it but it would have to be Bennett going down.

No, no, no and NO!

This team is a solid 4th line forward (replace Tanner Glass) away from being 'perfect' once it's healthy.

Two loaded scoring lines. A solid 3rd line that can shut down the opposition's top line or score if needed. (I know we love to kill Kennedy but he stepped up when Malkin and Crosby were out). Incredible depth on D....how many teams can literally platoon d-men based on the opposition and not miss a beat? Physical team? Dress Engelland and/or Bortuzzo. Less physical? Depres. Sprinkle in a Mark Eaton and you have a deep, versatile and well rested d-man corps for the playoffs.

If he doesn't cost us one of the young d-men or a 1st round pick....grudgingly I'll do it. 2nd and 3rd. Throw in Dustin Jeffrey or maybe a Scott Harrington. No 1st. No Depres, Maatta, Pouliot, Morrow or Dumoulin.

IF it happens....where does he go? Only two options...he either bumps Dupuis to the 3rd or 4th line or Bennett to the AHL. Crosby loves playing with Dupuis and no way you separate him and Selke finalist ;) Chris Kunitz they way they have been playing. Would hate it but it would have to be Bennett going down.

Humm, decisions . . . decisions . . . I hope not. From the standpoint that I still think that what the Pens need is a solid physical shutdown defenseman to complete the team. This would probably only be a rental as I don't think they'd resign him unless he took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa breath aaaaaaaay less money.

But if he did, I would think that he would bump Dupuis down to the third line, moving Kennedy/Cooke to the fourth, which could work out. Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis could work well as Dupers fits the role fine. Kennedy-Vitale-Adams/Jefery would be my preferred fourth line, and PLEASE somehow, if it happend, make the Flames take Tanner Glass.

Right now I'm see a whole lot of chemistry between Beau and Neal(as well as Malkin before his injury).

My worry would be what we give up. I think that Calgary would push for Depres, and I can't justify giving him up for an aging veteran. Heck, I'll offer up Bortozzo or Jeffery and a pick(along with Tanner glass and a bag of pucks), but I don't think that will cut it. Maybe toss in Kennedy somehow, I've soured on him and his $2m/year contract.

I think it would make a heck of a lot more sense than the Flyers going after him. Put him with Crosby and watch him fill the net, and punch anyones face in who messes with l'il Sid. Plus it would prevent the Bruins from getting him, who the Pens may have to go through. And that is a tough team.

But if I'm the Pens, I'd prefer a better goalie than what they have. Good luck with that though.

@B21

@nossagog

@flyercanuck

I'm torn on this one as well. I mean, I like what Iginla can bring to the team. A more calming presence and he still plays the power forward game of go to the net and fight for it. If Sid had that to pass to at any given moment... but he already has Kunitz doing exactly that. WHat would it do to their chemistry? Is Iginla's game too much like Kunitz's to work well together? And what would we be giving up?

I don't want to lose Depres. I think he's developing very well and will only get better. If we could steal Iginla for Kennedy, Glass, and Bortuzzo I'd take it, but I don't think Calgary will settle for that. I know Iginla and Sid had a great thing going in the Olympics, but can Iginla still skate enough to stay up??

I'm thinking PASS... our team is scoring plenty right now, why risk it for a rental?

@B21

@nossagog

@flyercanuck

I'm torn on this one as well. I mean, I like what Iginla can bring to the team. A more calming presence and he still plays the power forward game of go to the net and fight for it. If Sid had that to pass to at any given moment... but he already has Kunitz doing exactly that. WHat would it do to their chemistry? Is Iginla's game too much like Kunitz's to work well together? And what would we be giving up?

I don't want to lose Depres. I think he's developing very well and will only get better. If we could steal Iginla for Kennedy, Glass, and Bortuzzo I'd take it, but I don't think Calgary will settle for that. I know Iginla and Sid had a great thing going in the Olympics, but can Iginla still skate enough to stay up??

I'm thinking PASS... our team is scoring plenty right now, why risk it for a rental?

bingbingbingbingbingbingbingbingbingbingbingbing I think we have a winner.

• Like 1

Put him with Crosby and watch him fill the net

That's what I was thinking. That'd be scary for another 5 years or so.

I'm not sure the Pens need more scoring right now but as was mentioned, he is a good leader. Not sure the Pens need that either though.

It really depends on what it costs. I'm sure the asking price is pretty high right now.

In the end I'd like to see Iginla on a cup team for his sake.

I think it would make a heck of a lot more sense than the Flyers going after him. Put him with Crosby and watch him fill the net, and punch anyones face in who messes with l'il Sid. Plus it would prevent the Bruins from getting him, who the Pens may have to go through. And that is a tough team.

But if I'm the Pens, I'd prefer a better goalie than what they have. Good luck with that though.

Good point about the Bruins. Trades like this have happened before as "preventative measures".

@Polaris922

@Digityman

@nossagog

Throw Glass out the window (pun intended). He's a non-factor in any trade. I doubt Kennedy has the Flames all hot and bothered (I'm rolling now) either. I still think a few picks (2nd + 3rd) and a decent but not "top" prospect (like a Scott Harrington) is fair. Compare that to what we gave up for Hossa. Two firsts (one being Angelo Esposito) and two marginal young players. Hossa was a coming off a 100 point season...in his prime. Iginla is in the midst of what would he worst statistical season since the late 1990's.

As for long term...he just doesn't fit. Next year, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton and Bortuzzo are all FA (some UFA and some RFA). All together they make about $7.8 million. None are due a huge raise (if any at all) and in theory the Pens could resign all of them with an average raise of about 10% and still be about $1 million under the new (lower) cap. Add an Iginla making...$4 million?...to that mix and now you have some decision to make. If it's more than a 1-year deal, our 2014-15 "fiscal cliff" when 9 current players go UFA and 2 go RFA, gets even more clouded.

If it's more than a 1-year deal, our 2014-15 "fiscal cliff" when 9 current players go UFA and 2 go RFA, gets even more clouded.

Wait, I brought this up last week in another thread, and our brother Polaris assured me all was well. ;):P

Wait, I brought this up last week in another thread, and our brother Polaris assured me all was well. ;):P

It would be once you sign Letang and Malkin... But that leaves space for role players like we have, not another $4 million a year forward. Though personally I'd dump Kennedy and his $2 million a year right off the bat.

@Polaris922

I'd dump Kennedy cause he looks like an aborted Orc from Lord of the Rings...but that's just me. :D

Hence his little known nickname of Man-Bear-Pig.

As for us trying to toss in Glass in any trade. Its just an added thankyou for a trade, no cost at all to you, just an extra player added on. Just take him. . . . PLEASE!

Throw Glass out the window (pun intended). He's a non-factor in any trade. I doubt Kennedy has the Flames all hot and bothered (I'm rolling now) either. I still think a few picks (2nd + 3rd) and a decent but not "top" prospect (like a Scott Harrington) is fair. Compare that to what we gave up for Hossa. Two firsts (one being Angelo Esposito) and two marginal young players. Hossa was a coming off a 100 point season...in his prime. Iginla is in the midst of what would he worst statistical season since the late 1990's.

As for long term...he just doesn't fit. Next year, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton and Bortuzzo are all FA (some UFA and some RFA). All together they make about $7.8 million. None are due a huge raise (if any at all) and in theory the Pens could resign all of them with an average raise of about 10% and still be about $1 million under the new (lower) cap. Add an Iginla making...$4 million?...to that mix and now you have some decision to make. If it's more than a 1-year deal, our 2014-15 "fiscal cliff" when 9 current players go UFA and 2 go RFA, gets even more clouded.

Ah, the Hossa deal. One of my favorites that brings a smile to my face when I think about it. At the time, the "pundits" laughed at the Pens because we gave up too much for a rent a player. Killing the future of the team. So lets look how it worked out.

Atlanta got:

Angelo Esposito - First round prospect, NOT. Bounced around the AHL/ECHL, now in the Sweedish league, doesn't look to be NHL material.

Colby Armstrong - Since been on Atlanta, Toronto and now, but probably not for long Montreal. Bottom sixer for life.

Erik Christensen - Road tripper, went to Atlanta, Anahiem, down to Manitoba, up to the Rangers, down to the Conn Whale, up to Minnesota and is now in the KHL.

First round pick, ended up low due to the Pens making the cup final. Ended up being Daulton Leveille, another bust, barely in the AHL at this point.

Pens got:

Marion Hossa- Rent a player. Did not win the cup that season, but was a key factor in getting the Pens to the Cup finals, providing what some could say was the necessary experience for the Pens to win the cup the next season.

Pascal Dupuis - Pundits called him a throw in, typical grinder. Yep, has hands like stones in many cases. But a tireless worker, key player on the PK and has shown that he can be a 20+ goal scorer. Oh by the way, still with the Pens playing a top six role, and ended up being better than any of the players we gave away. Would have to check, but may have better stats than Armstrong and Christensen combined.

So we rented the key that launched us for a two year cup run(with one cup), and got a eh, top six winger for two bottom sixers and two busts. Hindsight being 20-20, what a steal.

Next year we should be OK. 2014-15 will be...interesing? Who stays? Goes? Who do they not want to bring back?

FWIW, I think you'll see a very different D that season. I suspect Orpik and Niskanen aren't brought back. We'll know Letang's status before then.

@nossagog Sticks out like a sore thumb now, but looking back, Sid was the only thing that made Colby Armstong relevant, and he made him a few million by helping him become a 20 goal scorer "with grit"...that guy is totally useless.

Sure, remember Warren young, played one year alongside Lemieux, scored 40 goals. Got big bucks the next year from Detroit, two years later he was in the AHL. Can't blame guys like that for cashing in.

Edited by nossagog