Blake Geoffrion set to retire

Guest habsguy26

-taken from tsn.ca-

Blake Geoffrion has informed the Montreal Canadiens that he is considering retirement from professional hockey following an injury that he suffered last November.

Geoffrion suffered a depressed skull fracture after taking a hit from Syracuse Crunch defenceman Jean-Philippe Cote during an AHL game at Montreal's Bell Centre in November.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Canadiens said Geoffrion notified general manager Marc Bergevin that his condition has shown no significant improvement since he underwent surgery on Nov. 10, the day after the incident.

The team also said that there will be no further comment on the situation until further notice.

Grandson of Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion and son of Dan Geoffrion, the 25-year-old was the 2010 Hobey Baker winner as the top U.S. collegiate player. He recorded 28 goals and 22 assists through 40 games with the University of Wisconsin in his final year at school.

Geoffrion was a second round selection of the Nashville Predators, 56th overall, at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft before being traded to the Canadiens in exchange for Hal Gill on Feb. 25, 2012.

He has four goals and two assists through 10 games this season with the Bulldogs, and has registered eight goals and five assists with a plus-3 rating in 55 career NHL games.

sad news.... he had a ton of potential. i'm sure the habs have a job lined up for him though.

@habsguy26 I could not even imagine the out of this world expectations for a young player growing up and playing in the Province of Quebec with the last name Gefferion. Tons and tons of pressure.

he's actually born and raised in Tennessee! Lol but I see what you mean. He had high expectations and it's a bummer he won't be able to show us what he's made of as a fully developed player.

@habsguy26 Ha ha...I knew he played in the NCAA, but had no idea he was born in Tennessee.....how woulda thunk it? So, scratch the growing up stuff, but his last name still brought wicked pressure when put into a Habs jersey....it would be like Guy Lafleur having a son. To bad, might have been a legit player. Like you said, I'm sure the classy Canadians org will find a place for him, scouting or some other job.

• Like 1

@habsguy26 I could not even imagine the out of this world expectations for a young player growing up and playing in the Province of Quebec with the last name Gefferion. Tons and tons of pressure.

he's actually born and raised in Tennessee! Lol but I see what you mean. He had high expectations and it's a bummer he won't be able to show us what he's made of as a fully developed player.

Not to split hairs, but Blake was actually born in Plantation, Florida (and raised in Tennessee). And just for a little added pressure, his great grandfather was Howie Morenz.

@AlaskaFlyerFan Wow, it's stunning to be related to so many greats....talk about having a piano tied to your back...lol. I consider Howie Morenz the best player ever, but it's tainted because I've never watched him....just read first hand accounts and looked at some his scoring races. Not really enough to formulate an opinion, but I have the utmost respect for the guy, a true, true great.