Meltzer - Tough look at Bryzgalov

Guest canoli

using MaineFlyers' thread as a template, here is Meltzer's thoughts on Ilya Byrzgalov.

It's good read if you haven't seen it yet. He starts with an overall look at the Flyers (written prior to last night's game) and then concentrates on Bryzgalov.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=49916&blogger_id=45

a small sample that will sound familiar to anyone who's read this board:

"It has gotten to the point where every time there is a breakaway or 2-on-1, the Flyers' best hope is for the attacking team to make a mistake because otherwise the next faceoff is going to be at center ice. Beyond those team-related issues, the bad rebounds have returned. The poor work on the stick side is back."

Yeah, I really like Bill's commentary....makes me wonder if HACKS like Cardichi, Seravalli, and Panotch ever read his stuff for a good example of actual hockey analysis!!!

We're in a tough spot right now folks. I love my flyers as much as the next "kool-aid drinker homer".... but come on already! This team is playing some embarassing hockey right now!! There are differnt ways of lossing....it's how they are loosing right now that bothers me! Not even fun to watch the games...

• Like 1

using MaineFlyers' thread as a template, here is Meltzer's thoughts on Ilya Byrzgalov.

It's good read if you haven't seen it yet. He starts with an overall look at the Flyers (written prior to last night's game) and then concentrates on Bryzgalov.

http://www.hockeybuz...6&blogger_id=45

a small sample that will sound familiar to anyone who's read this board:

"It has gotten to the point where every time there is a breakaway or 2-on-1, the Flyers' best hope is for the attacking team to make a mistake because otherwise the next faceoff is going to be at center ice. Beyond those team-related issues, the bad rebounds have returned. The poor work on the stick side is back."

"However, a team could have six All-Stars on defense and it still won't have a great goals against average unless the forwards make a consistent commitment to backchecking and going to the right places in the defensive zone. The Flyers forwards don't do that with nearly enough consistency (and, really, they never have during the Peter Laviolette era).

This, this, and this again. The problems we're seeing this year are not really new. They've been present for a while, but one way or another the team has been able to overcome them. But only to an extent.

• Like 1

Yeah watching the Devils forechaeck the other night was pretty eye opening.....they were all over us in our own zone as soon as we got possesion of the puck. RUTHLESS! Even when we were on the PP..... giving us ZERO time to work with the puck or look for the outlet pass. It was rather stiffling.

So, to sum it up: they have forwards out of position and not back checking. They are starting an AHL caliber 3rd defense combination, and the top 4 have been hurt/played horribly at times. The goaltending is mediocre at best, right now. And the coaching staff can't/won't/doesn't adapt-make changes.

All of which I agree with by the way....

• Like 2

Yeah watching the Devils forechaeck the other night was pretty eye opening.....they were all over us in our own zone as soon as we got possesion of the puck. RUTHLESS! Even when we were on the PP..... giving us ZERO time to work with the puck or look for the outlet pass. It was rather stiffling.

Which, oddly enough, is EXACTLY what they did to the Flyers in the playoffs last year.

And on January 22. And on February 15. And on March 13.

Who could have seen that coming?

• Like 1

So, to sum it up: they have forwards out of position and not back checking. They are starting an AHL caliber 3rd defense combination, and the top 4 have been hurt/played horribly at times. The goaltending is mediocre at best, right now. And the coaching staff can't/won't/doesn't adapt-make changes.

All of which I agree with by the way....

"Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

• Like 1

Which, oddly enough, is EXACTLY what they did to the Flyers in the playoffs last year.

This is what almost made my head explode. Did you see the interview with Elias after the game? They asked him about playing the Flyers and basically his answer was "we just did what we've been doing against them".

This is what almost made my head explode. Did you see the interview with Elias after the game? They asked him about playing the Flyers and basically his answer was "we just did what we've been doing against them".

Laviolette is apparently getting his coaching philosophy from Andy Reid.

Think we can swap coaches with Phoenix?

"However, a team could have six All-Stars on defense and it still won't have a great goals against average unless the forwards make a consistent commitment to backchecking and going to the right places in the defensive zone. The Flyers forwards don't do that with nearly enough consistency (and, really, they never have during the Peter Laviolette era).

This, this, and this again. The problems we're seeing this year are not really new. They've been present for a while, but one way or another the team has been able to overcome them. But only to an extent.

And the guys we traded away as supposed problems in the room (Richards & Carter) were/are pretty good defensive forwards.

And the guys we traded away as supposed problems in the room (Richards & Carter) were/are pretty good defensive forwards.

I think Homer took a look at the deals he signed the two of them to and panicked.

Also, the team's recurring wet dream about Chris Pronger.

I like the return the team got for both players (Simmonds/Schenn/Couturier for Richards is highway robbery) but to think there weren't going to be growing pains was the height of foolishness.

Then, to repeat the same mistakes which caused you to panic in the first place - long term/NMC deals, rushing guys into positions they aren't ready for, etc. - exacerbates the problem.

Yeah....pretty frustrating to see a team/coaching staff not be able to figure it our either!! How long has this team been in our division!!

now i remember why i hate the devils......

Yeah....pretty frustrating to see a team/coaching staff not be able to figure it our either!! How long has this team been in our division!!

now i remember why i hate the devils......

Here's a brief refresher:

Stevens, Elias, Brodeur, Lou Lamoriello, the trap, ending Lindros

Not surprisingly, another excellent piece by Meltzer yesterday:

http://www.hockeybuz...45#.UUN6sKXHuCg

["Regular readers of my blog know that one of my pet peeves in hockey lingo is coaches, players and announcers parroting the phrase that a win-starved team "needs to play with desperation tonight."

What they REALLY mean is the club needs to play with a focused sense of urgency that doesn't dissipate even if the club faces some adversity against a tough opponent. You know what happens when a team plays with true desperation? You get a performance like the one the Flyers turned in last night in getting trounced, 5-2, by the Devils.

A desperate club plays with early energy but makes reckless, low-percentage plays. A desperate club doesn't know how to stop the bleeding and get back on track when things don't go their way. Instead, they compound the problem with bad penalties, lack of puck support and trying to do too much as individuals offensively.

A desperate hockey team is, well, one that is in a state of despair. The players stop

believing in one another and many individuals have lost confidence even in their own abilities. Such a club often has tuned out its coach, and every strategic or personnel management button he pushes seems to be the wrong one."]

I don't know how you describe this team any better.

["Last night's outcome was not a case of key players "not caring" or the team "coming out flat". I thought it was obvious how badly the Flyers wanted that game -- but wanting and doing are two separate things. There is a process involved in winning, and very little the Flyers did was conducive to it."

"Go up and down the Flyers' lineup. There were very few, if any, players who didn't care what was going on and weren't trying to compete. Sadly, they were clueless about what do about getting the horse back in the barn once it started to run away.

That's the desperation of a team that has no real identity beyond an "attack system" that is ill-suited to the collection of players who have been assembled for this year's team. Lack of cohesion and team defense is not an identity; or at least not one to aspire to."]

Harsh words, but impossible to refute.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

@JackStraw It's becoming more and more obvious the Flyers just do not have the personnel to carry out Lavi's system. FIrst off, you have to have a good goalie who can stop the odd break away or odd man rush....you need that in Lavi's system, the occasional odd man rush is what lavi's system brings...and far to often that ends up in the net. WIth our current roster, we need a boring Devils style.....bide your time, send more men back into your own zone, clog up the middle and back off on the forecheck.....and wait for opponets to make a mistake. This roster is just not suited for a run and gun game.

• Like 1

something that stood out for me in that article:

A desperate club doesn't know how to stop the bleeding and get back on track when things don't go their way. Instead, they compound the problem with bad penalties, lack of puck support and trying to do too much as individuals offensively.

Look at our record when...

Trailing after the 1st - 0-10-0

Trailing after the 2nd - 1-10-0

When we get a lead we play a LOT better, which surprised me but here are the numbers:

Leading after the 1st - 6-2-0

Leading after the 2nd - 11-0-1

If the Flyers don't take a lead into the intermission - either intermission - they lose the game. Wow. I didn't think we were *this* bad without the lead.

@JackStraw As per usual, the easiest way to do things is fire the coach, I suspect that will happen, regardless of whether he is the true problem or not. S**t runs downhill...Homer is not going anywhere, even though he *knew* Lavi required a certain type of roster to carry out his attack scheme....essentially, he set him up to lose based on his acquistions, or lack thereof.

@JackStraw ... Homer is not going anywhere, even though he *knew* Lavi required a certain type of roster to carry out his attack scheme....essentially, he set him up to lose based on his acquistions, or lack thereof.

It really does almost seem that way, doesn't it? It's very hard to figure out what management is really thinking with this team.

I agree, Lavy's days are numbered. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the weekend.

Homer? Homer's got a job for life as Flyers' GM. Until he "burns out" the way Clarke did...and then it'll be Berube's turn.