Sabres’ Ennis on Simmonds hit: ‘I thought it was dirty’

Guest Digityman

BUFFALO – Sabres center Tyler Ennis, whose face was crunched into the boards from behind Sunday by Wayne Simmonds, said today the “dirty” hit should’ve gotten the Philadelphia winger suspended.“People can say I turned and stuff,” Ennis said this afternoon inside the First Niagara Center after practicing in a non-contact role, his first session back on the ice.

“It’s happened before where guys turn and it’s no problem. But I had a problem with that one. I feel like he was on my numbers the whole time. I feel like he kind of launched into me. I thought it was dirty.”Ennis, who was zooming into the zone as he got hit, also said: “At that particular time, I felt like it was not the best play by him. I wish he got suspended or fined or something. I wasn’t happy with it. I’m not happy that he didn’t. Moving forward,

I’m going to keep playing the same way.”He’s hopeful he can return Saturday after a one-game absence.Ennis has stitches on his forehead.Related: Sabres’ Ennis ‘dinged up’ from Simmonds hit, not concussed

Ennis knew exactly where Simmonds was...EXACTLY......He turned into the boards and put himself in harms way. STUPID. Schenn's hit later on Gerbe was similar but for Gerbe there was more time for Schenn to let up. The refs got both of those calls right. No call on Simmonds and a 2 minute on Schenn.

2 minutes for a cowardly turtle into the boards!! You see more and more of this, trying to get the 5 min major by turning back in, hope the ref does not see you do the dastardly turtle and hope for the best! Sometimes it's a flinch reaction trying to protect yourself, but a lot of times it's an atempt to win the game by getting a 5 min major. Worth the risk for some players, esp 3rd or 4th liners hoping to make an impact any way they can.

• Like 1

Hey look! An fight that wasn't staged! Refreshing. Of course, Simmonds did not seemed detered from hitting Ennis in the first place by the fact that he'd have to fight Mike Weber. Also the issue of why Simmonds should even have to drop at all after delivering a perfectly legal hit.

Sorry. Had too... ;)

Carry on!

I think it should've been a penalty but not a suspension. Ennis is trying to stop to shed Simmonds and get space to move the puck. I don't see it as a turn to the board trying to get a boarding penalty, just trying to shed his coverage. Simmonds hits him right in the numbers and doesn't pull up on it, running his head into the top of the dasher. I'd give it a boarding minor and leave it at that. I don't see any intent to injure there but he does have the ability to pull up and rides him right in. If it weren't for running his head into the dasher I'd say to let it go, but the violence of the hit matters. Yes the rule says you have to consider the player making himself vulnerable. But the rule also says you have to minimize the contact when you know the player is in that vulnerable position, and Simmonds rolls his body right through Ennis' head.

• Like 1

Ennis is one of the two smurfs on the Sabres along with Gerbe. They both know that they only come up to most other players waists so they are always looking to draw a penalty.

Edited by Samifan

Ennis is one of the two smurfs on the Sabres along with Gerbe. They both know that the only come up to most other players waist so they are always looking to draw a penalty.

That's a Lindy Ruff coached team for you.

EDIT: For clarification, I know Ruff is gone, but the lessons remain.

Edited by doom88

The hit was clean he turned his back. The fact that NHL fans are even talking about this, is good evidence how stupid and soft we are getting about our game. Also, how much influence the NFL is having over other sports by softening their sport.

• Like 1

He needs to stop whinning like a little bi*ch and take the hit like a man and stop turning away from contact...use your head before you lose your head!!!

BOOO-HOOOO!!!!

This is hockey maybe he needs to switch to soccer!!!! :D

He needs to stop whinning like a little bi*ch and take the hit like a man and stop turning away from contact...use your head before you lose your head!!!

BOOO-HOOOO!!!!

This is hockey maybe he needs to switch to soccer!!!! :D

The irony... Not you bud but the Carter on Rinaldo hit drew whining too. I find homerism humorous. ;)

Ennis knew exactly where Simmonds was...EXACTLY......He turned into the boards and put himself in harms way. STUPID. Schenn's hit later on Gerbe was similar but for Gerbe there was more time for Schenn to let up. The refs got both of those calls right. No call on Simmonds and a 2 minute on Schenn.

Players need to protect themselves. This inconsistent discipline is further endangering players because its a roll of the dice whether they will get called for it or not so its not enough to stop the act. Meanwhile players are freely skating with their heads down or turn their backs last second expecting players to let up or get suspended.

You can't walk the middle. ***** Miagi even said so.