Briere - Future?

BearOnIce

Just a question, if Brier would waive NMC, is there really any team out there that would take a chance on Brier respective of the remaining 2 years left and contract? I believe the contract is $6.5M a year but it is only $2M and $3M respectively. How does that work? Who eats the difference? Maybe this is academic because of the 2 buyouts that any team gets this coming year. Just was interested in hearing if anyone thought based upon his 5 goals this year, but clutch performance in his playoff history, would be such that a playoff team might take him and, and if so who? And given that the Flyers traditionally treat players who have produced positive results with respect, and would so with Dany Briere, who might he agree to go to. I heard Saint Louis mentioned last week but heard they looked and went cold.

Like PT Barnum said:

“There's a sucker born every minute.” :D

Good question Bear....someone had mentioned that Nashville could always use someone like good ol Danny Boy.

That was me. And hope, not a real rumor unfortunately.

There are a few teams that would definitely be interested in some secondary scoring and PO heroics. Boston comes to mind.... although Danny would be HORRRRRIBLE at their style of play. They have such a team first, defensive, grinding style that I don't see them calling homer. Maybe Ottawa??

Edited by fishbulb

Toronto for Kessel. Kessel struggles this season, so Leafs are might want to unload his contract, and this change could be a good for both players. I'm not sure if I or Flyers want him here but it could good, since Shenn is becoming a good player for defensman trade.

@phlfly

Kessel? The Leafs are going to trade the one piece they got for Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for a broken down over the hill washed up version of didn't you used to be Danny Briere? And Phil Kessel is the last thing a team that isn't showing up every night needs.

• Like 4

Just a question, if Brier would waive NMC, is there really any team out there that would take a chance on Brier respective of the remaining 2 years left and contract? I believe the contract is $6.5M a year but it is only $2M and $3M respectively. How does that work? Who eats the difference? Maybe this is academic because of the 2 buyouts that any team gets this coming year. Just was interested in hearing if anyone thought based upon his 5 goals this year, but clutch performance in his playoff history, would be such that a playoff team might take him and, and if so who? And given that the Flyers traditionally treat players who have produced positive results with respect, and would so with Dany Briere, who might he agree to go to. I heard Saint Louis mentioned last week but heard they looked and went cold.

If he could help push a team over the top in their quest for a Cup, why not?

@phlfly

If Schenn and Kessel went head to head in postseason, one freighttrain bodycheck from Braydon and Phil would take his puck and go home. Watching kessel highlights might be magic, but watching him play an entire game leaves you with that JVR "when does he start trying" feeling.

I know when your at ice level you see the team a certain way, being far from ice level you can see what pieces are needed to win cups.

Briere is a piece that can help you bring a cup to your team, he is just a piece and not the whole part. Asking a round peg to fit into a square peg hole will not work, unless you break the round peg or break the square hole.

Danny is a key part of our team, he is a key Playoff part. It's not about making the playoffs only, it's about what you do in them when you are inside.

Right now we have a lot of rookies going through growing pains( I call them rookies because it takes about 3 years to wean them off of AHL pullups; granted some toddlers learn to walk sooner than others)

You need different pieces to win the cup. Im saying he is an important piece. We need other pieces. Talbot is also a piece. Rinaldo can def be a piece, G and V are piece as well as Feds, and Harts and Simmer can be important pieces, Read is a valuable piece. Timo, Grossmann and Mez are pieces as well. Not to snubb anyone else but L & B Schenn, Couts.

I think G should relieve himself of his captaincy and give it to Fedetenko. His quiet wisdom is very valuable.

You don't give it to talent you give it to experience and tenure.

I think G should relieve himself of his captaincy and give it to Fedetenko. His quiet wisdom is very valuable.

You don't give it to talent you give it to experience and tenure.

Fedetenko? I get what you are saying but if anything it would have been Talbot. He brings the same style.

Regardless, this is Giroux's team for the next decade. His game will come around. He's extremely competitive and will work himself to death if he needs to.

Danny is always coasting out there. His speed doesn't change. Last one back consistently.

He's bringing down everyone he plays with. Time to part ways.

completely agree. He needs line mates that will do everything while he sits beside the net to wait for a rebound or cross crease pass.

Since the playoffs do not look like a possibility this season, Flyers management must go to Briere with the following mandate; "waive your NMC and accept a trade to a playoff contender immediately or you will be a healthy scratch the remaining 18 games and your contract will be bought out in the Summer."

Toronto for Kessel. Kessel struggles this season, so Leafs are might want to unload his contract, and this change could be a good for both players. I'm not sure if I or Flyers want him here but it could good, since Shenn is becoming a good player for defensman trade.

-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the playoffs do not look like a possibility this season, Flyers management must go to Briere with the following mandate; "waive your NMC and accept a trade to a playoff contender immediately or you will be a healthy scratch the remaining 18 games and your contract will be bought out in the Summer."

I agree, if he wants to play then Ottawa might be a possibility since Spezza is probably done for the year and they could use a centre. He's be closer to his hometown. Besides maybe the Flyers could get Ben Bishop back as part of the trade.

I'd trade Briere for a bag of pucks, if the Flyers could get rid of him. And I expect hiim to be bought out after next season in any event.

The question here is what "contender" is going to give the Flyers much more than a bag of pucks for him?

• Like 1

@radoran

We all know how the trade deadline works. If say Pittsburgh ends up getting Iginla, Boston is going to feel they'd better add some scoring too. Briere does have a history of lighting it up in the postseason. Boston has a young Tukka Rask playing well, and 2 good goalie prospects that aren't going to become starters on that team for 10 years. Subban to Philly?

@radoran

We all know how the trade deadline works. If say Pittsburgh ends up getting Iginla, Boston is going to feel they'd better add some scoring too. Briere does have a history of lighting it up in the postseason. Boston has a young Tukka Rask playing well, and 2 good goalie prospects that aren't going to become starters on that team for 10 years. Subban to Philly?

Sure we know how the deadline works.

Remember when the Flyers gave up two firsts, a second and a third for Adam Oates?

Not saying teams won't do stupid things, but when you start off limiting your options to finding a "contender" Briere will waive for, you start winding up with Matt "fetid dingo kidney" Walker.

I'd trade Briere for a bag of pucks, if the Flyers could get rid of him. And I expect hiim to be bought out after next season in any event.

The question here is what "contender" is going to give the Flyers much more than a bag of pucks for him?

I think Boston would be very interested...they need some playoff scoring punch. Now, what they'd give up to get Briere-if he waives-is anyone guess. MTL seems like a great fit....just not sure if they would pull the trigger on him.

Other than those, I don't see him waiving for any other places.

I think Boston would be very interested...they need some playoff scoring punch. Now, what they'd give up to get Briere-if he waives-is anyone guess. MTL seems like a great fit....just not sure if they would pull the trigger on him.

Other than those, I don't see him waiving for any other places.

Put yourself in Boston's shoes.

What do you give up for Briere?

And, if everyone on this board is tacitly acknowledging his play is declining, why don't astute hockey minds who are paid to make such decisions see the same thing?

• Like 1