Briere - Future?

BearOnIce

Earlier in the season, I was of the opinion that if Briere was bought out, it would be after next season. But the more this season has gone on, I think it will happen after this season. We're a non-playoff team with $6.5M tied up in a player that has offered next to nothing this regular season (after burning up the DEL), and in fact, has had a negative impact on whatever line he's on.

I hate to say it, but I think he has 18 career games left to play in Philadelphia.

• Like 1

Since the playoffs do not look like a possibility this season, Flyers management must go to Briere with the following mandate; "waive your NMC and accept a trade to a playoff contender immediately or you will be a healthy scratch the remaining 18 games and your contract will be bought out in the Summer."

i feel like there's no reason to be a dick to him. i mean... it wasn't all that long ago that he was our playoff hero. the guy has things to bring to the table, it's just not working out for him this year and especially since we won't be IN the playoffs to watch him do his thing.

However... there are many teams who WOULD appreciate his talents in the playoffs and would probably overpay to get them. His cap hit is pretty high, but the actual dollars to be paid in the final 2 years could make him a very attractive pickup for any playoff bound team that needs clutch scoring. He's not just going to be a rental, which ... i would think... would increase the asking price for him.

In short.. he's our most attractive trade asset as the deadline looms and Flyer's management should be shopping him aggressively. I'm sure that if they go to danny and say.. look.. we're gonna be in rebuild mode here and we wanna give you the chance to win a cup with a great organization(Habs? Canucks? Kings?) how about waiving that NMC.

Look.. players get it.. if he's asked to waive, he knows his time there is done. the only *real* implication of a NMC is that he gets to ensure he's not marooned in hockey purgatory(columbus) and gets to choose his ultimate playoff bound destination.

@Bakanekimiwa

Entirely reasonable, but Briere isn't quite on the same level of a Lappy, Gagne, Timonen, Kapanen, Rinaldo (too soon?) type of player where they earn their respect each and every day. That is why people are being a dick towards Danny Boy - laziness. It isn't quite as personal as Bryz and people haven't forgotten what he can do for the team, it's frustration over inconsistency and expectations. And, it hasn't been just this season either.

@Bakanekimiwa

Entirely reasonable, but Briere isn't quite on the same level of a Lappy, Gagne, Timonen, Kapanen, Rinaldo (too soon?) type of player where they earn their respect each and every day. That is why people are being a dick towards Danny Boy - laziness. It isn't quite as personal as Bryz and people haven't forgotten what he can do for the team, it's frustration over inconsistency and expectations. And, it hasn't been just this season either.

well... it's very hard for any of us to say that Briere is being 'lazy'. it very well may be the case, but I cannot say for sure either way. whatever the reasons are... it's pretty obvious he's having a lousy season for us right now. maybe it's injury, maybe it is laziness... i still think he should be treated(by mgmt) with the respect he deserves for being a veteran leader and putting up the PPG numbers he has in the playoffs for us.

Not only that, but it seems like guys here would like to dump him for a bag of pucks when this guy is a VERY valuable deadline trade commodity. no matter how dismal his play has been this season(except in berlin weirdly), i would hope that mgmt is talking him UP.

well... it's very hard for any of us to say that Briere is being 'lazy'. it very well may be the case, but I cannot say for sure either way. whatever the reasons are... it's pretty obvious he's having a lousy season for us right now. maybe it's injury, maybe it is laziness... i still think he should be treated(by mgmt) with the respect he deserves for being a veteran leader and putting up the PPG numbers he has in the playoffs for us.

This.

Not only that, but it seems like guys here would like to dump him for a bag of pucks when this guy is a VERY valuable deadline trade commodity. no matter how dismal his play has been this season(except in berlin weirdly), i would hope that mgmt is talking him UP.

As someone who has used the phrase, I happily and readily concede that hyperbole is not my friend, either.

That said, his value is significantly tempered by his $6.5M cap hit each of the next two seasons in the context of a lowered-cap environment. It's possible a team would be willing to take the $3.4M compliance buyout option - if they don't have other problems in mind.

So, the trade - in the context of a deadline-deal "for the playoffs" - is either a $6.5M cap hit for the next two seasons ($5M total cash out) or a $3.4M buyout (or a combination thereof) plus whatever it is given up in trade.

And the market is limited to "places Briere would be willing to be dealt."

So, IMO, his value is somewhere much higher than "bag of pucks" and significantly lower than "VERY valuable."

I think he will not waive and would get little if he did. We either buy out or reckon on another year of slop. Where I am more charitable than others is the possibility that age has caught up with him faster than expected. My other concern is that he is getting knocked around in a league of big people. It is sad but true.

Yes, I think he depends upon getting in the right spot at the right time with his size/skating skills and that Briere has headed on the downward slope at this point. Offensively gets knocked around and off the puck like a rag doll and defensively a true liability without the size. Buyout.