Bob for Governor-Only two points out of a playoff spot

yave1964

Columbus has set an all time team record with their tenth consecutive game with a point (6-0-4) with todays 1-0 shootout victory over the Phoenix Coyotes. Sergei Bobrovsky stopped all 39 shots then all three shooters in the shootout.

I want you to read the following sentence carefully. In his last eight games, Bob has given up six goals. That is absolutely amazing. Six goals in eight games.

I loved the pick up in the off season, mostly because Steve Mason has been the number one factor in the teams decline since making the playoffs in 2008, even over the ridiculous firing of Hitchcock and the Rick Nash fiasco. For God sake, Mason was outplayed last year by Curtis Sanford and something named Allen York. Nobody could have predicted this.

Todd Richards has the team playing responsible boring defense, encroaching into the other teams end whenever possible to try to sneak something past the other teams goalie, but mostly protect your own goalie, block shots and prevent rebounds. And Bob does the rest.

A side note, I do not believe it is a coincidence that the streak coincided with the injury to James Wisniewski. Wisniewski can quarterback a power play and can rush the puck out of his own zone, but is soft beyond soft on the defensive side, and when you are a twenty minute plus blueliner that is something you cannot be. I do not think the fact that they have not lost in regulation since he broke his foot against Chicago back in February would have happened if he had been in. His injury has forced the rest of the team to tighten up and the proof is in the pudding.

Edited by yave1964

@yave1964

Jack Johnson will probably be one of Scott Howson's few moves that strengthened the team. I can tell you right now that I am pulling for Bob/Umby and the Jackets to do well. Both Bob and Umby did whatever was asked of them when they were Flyers and were still showed the door. Snider REALLY needs to hire someone who can evaluate people as well as talent. Way too often the Flyers are sending talent elsewhere only to watch them blossom and bear fruit with a new team.

• Like 1

@flyerrod It's a nice cindrella story and all, and I probably would be pulling for them if not for the fact they are about to become a division rival. Any playoff experience this young group can garner this year and in coming years is bad for Philly. Eventually, they could become a roadblock for us, finish higher in the standings (who knows, anything is possible with a reall goalie, ya know LOL!) and force us into a wildcard berth or worse. As of right now, they are the enemy, at least in my books.

@flyerrod It's a nice cindrella story and all, and I probably would be pulling for them if not for the fact they are about to become a division rival. Any playoff experience this young group can garner this year and in coming years is bad for Philly. Eventually, they could become a roadblock for us, finish higher in the standings (who knows, anything is possible with a reall goalie, ya know LOL!) and force us into a wildcard berth or worse. As of right now, they are the enemy, at least in my books.

The thing is jammer, these guys were not like some of the other players who when they left, you threw a party. Joni Pitkanen and JVR are 2 of the players that come directly to my mind. Both have skills but due to ignorance or apathy, neither player really showed heart or their skills on a consistent basis when they played here. I don't care if you are the most skilled player on the ice, but for god sakes, you are getting paid to play a game you love. Shjon Podein might not have been the most skilled guy to ever lace them up but you pulled for him every time he stepped on the ice. It was his attitude as a player and team mate. He always gave everything he had. Since there is plenty of room in the boat with JVR and Joni, I would add Crater to the manifest. Tons of skills and abilities and ZERO heart.

• Like 1