Bryz - 2.00 GAA / .932 SV / 2 SO....... oh wait

Guest DAXflyer

You mean goalies can have a sophomore slump as well? This is shocking news. Does that man Couturier should not be traded for a 2nd and 2 4ths?

Yep, shaking my head at the people who seem to have given up on him already. I was shocked he was even IN the NHL only a year ago.

Sorry that's Bobrovsky. Imagine the possibilities with a little patience.

Ha, go figure. The Flyers cut a guy loose and he ends up playing well for another team. What a shocker.

It happens all the time to every GM but Bob was a special case for the Flyers for obvious reasons. The timing was so right for a young goaltender to grow with the team; we had nothing to lose but time - which of course we lost (and are still losing) anyway. But instead, because he couldn't save the Flyers from crashing and burning down the stretch and in the POs they throw him, the "obvious" candidate under the bus.

Never mind he was 19, a rookie who couldn't speak English at all. Seriously, they had to teach him "KEEP" and "PASS." Imagine you're a goaltender who don't understand the language your coach and teammates are speaking...then go and try to win hockey games. My point - Bob's potential was so OBVIOUS it's not even funny. Is it any wonder he's on the highlight reels with all these "amazing acrobatic" saves?

Instead we buy Ilya Bryzgalov's b.s. about how he wants to be "the highest paid goalie in the NHL" as if he deserves it.

• Like 1

I know me too - and one of these years I'll quit moaning about it... few mistakes have bothered me more than the Flyers mismanagement of Bobrovsky. Early on we heard how well he was working with Reese, how quickly he's picking up the NA game (and English) ...etc. And we couldn't give him more than ONE ROOKIE SEASON to win the Stanley Cup. Un-fkn-believable how stupid that is.

Ah well good for Columbus at least, they deserve some good times out there.

• Like 1

You mean goalies can have a sophomore slump as well? This is shocking news. Does that man Couturier should not be traded for a 2nd and 2 4ths?

Yep, send Coots on the first bus out of town to Calgary for Iggy!!!! We can still make the playoffs with a few extra goals in this line up. Coots is not getting the job done...he is obviously a bust! We may not get past the 1st round, but we will have made the right move to get us there! Who cares if Iggy won't be here for the long haul? We will always have that 1st round of the 2012-1013 season to remember!

@canoli

You know… Snider has meddled so much in team’s affairs, to the point where his intervention really did the team more harm than good. But this particular case was where his intervention proved – and continues proving – so costly to the team that it makes me shake with anger.

I mean I remember watching one of the Flyers regular season games in 2010 and listening to Bill Clement’s saying that the Flyers goaltending future is *finally* in good hands. Today, putting these words in perspective, I literally want to hit Snider over the head with something really heavy. Boy, was Bill wrong...

I mean for Christ’s sake… what in hell did they expect? Even the best of the best (and yes, I am referring to Patrick Roy, Dryden, and Brodeur) did not exactly set the world on fire in their rookie year. But Lou Lamourello did not trade Marty with his so-so performance in his rookie year to… oh I don’t know…. To the Hartford Whalers for pretty much nothing.

Look no further than the most recent Cup-winning goaltender. It took LA 5 years – FIVE YEARS(!) to work painstakingly with Quick to help him improve his game. That’s how successful teams actually operate. You can’t really get a full read on your goalie’s potentials until you actually give him an opportunity to mature. You work with your rookie tender and help him improve on what he does. The foundation was there. Bob just needed to mature so he could learn how to deal with pressure situations. That would’ve come.

And what I find even more appalling is that in his rookie year, Bob’s stats were actually great. Yes, he did have some games in which he could’ve played better, but he also won a player of the week award several times and he *did* actually win some games by himself. It was clear he was not ready for the playoffs. So what? Not many rookie goalies are. But there was no reason to overreact. Ok, so they should’ve dumped Leighton, who has no business being an NHL goaltender anyway, and give Bob one full year.

Instead, we invested a fortune into a guy who cares about saying stupid things and making himself look like a comedian in front of a camera more than playing net…. the guy who is totally incapable of winning big games and making big saves when needed.

Congrats. Columbus just got themselves a franchise goalie for years to come and we painted ourselves into a corner and dug ourselves a deep abyss from which the only way out is a buyout. And the gruesome reality is, we are not even closer to solving the goaltending problem because even when we dump this loser, we still need to address the goaltending issue.

For once the Flyers were able to address the issue they were totally incapable of addressing for eternity and, almost to be true to themselves, they decided to undo something that they actually finally did well. Unbelievable. This team deserved everything they got.

great post...just how i feel! AmbasHarApplause200.gif

I never really thought Bob was going to be anything special, so I wasn't all that bothered by the trade.

But that fact that basically gave up a decent goalie with potential (and a more than solid back-up to Bryz) for next to nothing just to make Bryz feel more secure in his starting role is just idiotic. If you are an NHL GM and your starting goalie's psyche is THAT fragile, you picked the wrong guy.

• Like 1

For once the Flyers were able to address the issue they were totally incapable of addressing for eternity and, almost to be true to themselves, they decided to undo something that they actually finally did well. Unbelievable.

Great post MadDog, start to finish - and I wanted to highlight this because it's is the real knife in the back to Flyers' fans.

For once (or Fkn Finally - LOL) the Flyers take a chance on a kid who wasn't exactly lighting up the KHL...and right away he shows promise. He wasn't supposed to make the big team but he wins the job and starts Opening Night - on the road in Pittsburgh no less (where we'd been losing way more than winning) - Bob's first NHL game....the Pens brand new arena, Mario dropping the puck...ice-melt from the Igloo...the whole media spectacle of the Darling Pens ... and Bob beats them 3-2, earning 1st star. - oh btw, no Pronger that night - he's out with the knee surgery.

Next game at home Bob beats the Avs and I'm finally psyched about a Flyers' goaltender....been years and years since I felt that way. And in one season the Flyers brain-trust (including Lavy) decides 1) to overplay the hell out of him - then 2) figures he can't cut it in the NHL after all...in the process ruining his chance to spend time in the A...and finally 3), the ultimate FU, they bury him behind an overpriced Joke of a goaltender.

[edit: once again it turns out the joke is on us - Flyers' fans - who are still waiting for a decent goaltender who can grow with the team....still paying for the stupid way the Flyers handled Bob.]

Edited by canoli

@canoli

You know… Snider has meddled so much in team’s affairs, to the point where his intervention really did the team more harm than good. But this particular case was where his intervention proved – and continues proving – so costly to the team that it makes me shake with anger.

I mean I remember watching one of the Flyers regular season games in 2010 and listening to Bill Clement’s saying that the Flyers goaltending future is *finally* in good hands. Today, putting these words in perspective, I literally want to hit Snider over the head with something really heavy. Boy, was Bill wrong...

I mean for Christ’s sake… what in hell did they expect? Even the best of the best (and yes, I am referring to Patrick Roy, Dryden, and Brodeur) did not exactly set the world on fire in their rookie year. But Lou Lamourello did not trade Marty with his so-so performance in his rookie year to… oh I don’t know…. To the Hartford Whalers for pretty much nothing.

Look no further than the most recent Cup-winning goaltender. It took LA 5 years – FIVE YEARS(!) to work painstakingly with Quick to help him improve his game. That’s how successful teams actually operate. You can’t really get a full read on your goalie’s potentials until you actually give him an opportunity to mature. You work with your rookie tender and help him improve on what he does. The foundation was there. Bob just needed to mature so he could learn how to deal with pressure situations. That would’ve come.

And what I find even more appalling is that in his rookie year, Bob’s stats were actually great. Yes, he did have some games in which he could’ve played better, but he also won a player of the week award several times and he *did* actually win some games by himself. It was clear he was not ready for the playoffs. So what? Not many rookie goalies are. But there was no reason to overreact. Ok, so they should’ve dumped Leighton, who has no business being an NHL goaltender anyway, and give Bob one full year.

Instead, we invested a fortune into a guy who cares about saying stupid things and making himself look like a comedian in front of a camera more than playing net…. the guy who is totally incapable of winning big games and making big saves when needed.

Congrats. Columbus just got themselves a franchise goalie for years to come and we painted ourselves into a corner and dug ourselves a deep abyss from which the only way out is a buyout. And the gruesome reality is, we are not even closer to solving the goaltending problem because even when we dump this loser, we still need to address the goaltending issue.

For once the Flyers were able to address the issue they were totally incapable of addressing for eternity and, almost to be true to themselves, they decided to undo something that they actually finally did well. Unbelievable. This team deserved everything they got.

I understand your frustration, but really?

Do you honestly think this team would be ANY better with Bob instead of Bryz?

I don't. This team stinks in several areas, including an average goalie paid like a great one. But Bryz is not the reason this team might miss the playoffs.

Bob is 6-0-2 in his last 8 starts, with a total of............ 9 wins on the season. A month a go he had a sub .900 sv % with a GAA above 3. He couldn't even beat out Steve Mason as the starting goalie when the season started. He's hot right now and it shows, but he's not the next Brodeur or any reason the fans should be that upset. Bryz played just as well last March headed into the playoffs and he's been the best player on this team for much of the season, including him winning the last game for us vs. the Devils.

@GreenMan. Yes, to me Carle + Bob > Bryz.. Without Bryz and his contract the Flyers could have kept Carle and have had more money to sign a FA this off season. Just my opinion.

Agreed though he is not the next Brodeur. Either way, what is done is done.

@GreenMan. Yes, to me Carle + Bob > Bryz.. Without Bryz and his contract the Flyers could have kept Carle and have had more money to sign a FA this off season. Just my opinion.

Agreed though he is not the next Brodeur. Either way, what is done is done.

Good point with Carle, I agree that loss really hurt us.

In that context I can see the Bryz contract backlash, but I just don't get it when people take it personal and start hating the individual. I will admit he's played average on a below average 2013 Flyers team.

I understand your frustration, but really?

Do you honestly think this team would be ANY better with Bob instead of Bryz?

I don't. This team stinks in several areas, including an average goalie paid like a great one. But Bryz is not the reason this team might miss the playoffs.

Bob is 6-0-2 in his last 8 starts, with a total of............ 9 wins on the season. A month a go he had a sub .900 sv % with a GAA above 3. He couldn't even beat out Steve Mason as the starting goalie when the season started. He's hot right now and it shows, but he's not the next Brodeur or any reason the fans should be that upset. Bryz played just as well last March headed into the playoffs and he's been the best player on this team for much of the season, including him winning the last game for us vs. the Devils.

I do think this exact team would be better with Bob. He is focused, high effort, humble, and most of all, doesn't quit. He works hard to get better at his strengths, listens to his coaches fix weaknesses, and is respected by his teammates. He has way more natural talent in reflexes, puck tracking, and lateral athleticism.

So yeah, Bob is better than Bryz, and likely to continue improving for years to come. F Bryz.

I also think the team would rally behind Bob. Something they will not do for Bryz, reasons aplenty.

Good point with Carle, I agree that loss really hurt us.

In that context I can see the Bryz contract backlash, but I just don't get it when people take it personal and start hating the individual. I will admit he's played average on a below average 2013 Flyers team.

I agree.

I actually support Bryz. Likely because the Flyers don't have any option at the moment and I don't think he has been bad. I still like what I saw in Bob except when he was beaten high glove time and again.

Yes. The team would definitely be better with Bob in net instead of Bryzgalov, no question about it. Whether their W-L record would be the same right now or not isn't nearly as important as having a young promising goaltender instead of a 31-year old overpriced clown in net.

If the Flyers were starting Bob right now it would mean they were at least on the right track. Whether Bob becomes the next Patrick Roy or the next Maxime Ouellette doesn't matter as much as whether the TEAM's management knows what the hell it's doing. Signing Bryzgalov was a clear sign they don't...that they're still spinning their wheels and going nowhere.

Yes. The team would definitely be better with Bob in net instead of Bryzgalov, no question about it. Whether their W-L record would be the same right now or not isn't nearly as important as having a young promising goaltender instead of a 31-year old overpriced clown in net.

If the Flyers were starting Bob right now it would mean they were at least on the right track. Whether Bob becomes the next Patrick Roy or the next Maxime Ouellette doesn't matter as much as whether the TEAM's management knows what the hell it's doing. Signing Bryzgalov was a clear sign they don't...that they're still spinning their wheels and going nowhere.

Dude your blind Bryz hate has officially sent you over the edge.

I can't say I agree with one sentence in that entire post.

Signing Bryz was the exact thing to do when you lose a Stanley Cup because of bad goaltending.

I will admit Bryz has not played up to his contract, that is hard to argue, but it ends there for me. I'm not calling the guy a "clown" becasue he has a personality, I'm not hating him because he's overpaid and average without a D in front of him, and I'm not saying management doesn't know what they are doing when they went after the best FA goalie they could after Leighton played like crap against the Blackhawks.

Perspective is important here - It took Bob two months to play well enough to beat out Mason, and he's been hot the last two weeks, but there is no indication he would be a better fit than Bryz. None. Esp since he had a sub .900 GAA average as of two weeks ago before he got hot. You think this team would take a chance with an unproven guy who consistently lost focus rather than a proven vet like Bryz who had success in the NHL? No way.

This is just cherry picking.

Don't worry and look at the bright side - Bryz will 100% get bought out this summer, so you have some time to find another high paid player to roast next year once he's gone.