Say it ain't so, Pavel!

SpikeDDS

I know it's merely rumor at this stage, but...

http://thehockeywrit...fter-next-year/

Uh, that would be bad! DO agree with the writer that if it is true, he deserves to be wished well and thanked. I suppose for now, the best thing to do is to just relish every game we are blessed to be able to watch him play for us and not take him or what he does for granted. Life is short.

Edited by hf101
original link caused error

Nick Lidstrom talked for years about a homesick wife and wanting his children to be raised in Sweden but stayed here forever (Of course to keep Nick here we brought Sweden to Detroit, lol) and I hope it is more of the same with Datsyuk. Love the way this man gives everything on every shift and would be heartbroken to see him go.

Just talking/typing out loud here.....would Pavel give one more great gift to the Wings org? Would he allow himself to get dealt for the last few months of this season and next year? I would totally understand if he did not want to go for a short stay somewhere else in North American, that would be his choice, of course.....BUT, if he was open to the concept, of winning one more before leaving...AND giving the team he has loved for so long a chance to recapture former glory. ....I wonder if he would entertain the tought?

Thoughts?

I know it would be emotionally tough to let him go, but when thinking long term, a 15 month return for Pavel would be HUGE, give him a legit chance at winning before he leaves.....I see a lot of win-wins here.

Bottom line, I don't have a lot of faith in this current Wing group winning the cup for the next 2 years, so re-build/re-stocking the cupboard could be a pretty good idea, in the long term interests of the franchise. I'm sure this will be discussed in the media in the coming weeks....how could it not?

• Like 1

With the team's performance reacting the way it has with the retirement of Lidstrom and Holmstrom, it's likely they would be down the bottom of the standings if Datsyuk left. However, a move to the Eastern Conference may even alleviate that (a bit). In the last few years, a playoff berth in the Eastern Conference has been secured with fewer points in the standings (on average) than in the West.

Still, I'll be crying in my borscht if Pavel went to Russia too soon....

Besides, the Iron Curtain is long gone, they can get NHL Center Ice just as easily as anyone else!! :P

Just talking/typing out loud here.....would Pavel give one more great gift to the Wings org? Would he allow himself to get dealt for the last few months of this season and next year? I would totally understand if he did not want to go for a short stay somewhere else in North American, that would be his choice, of course.....BUT, if he was open to the concept, of winning one more before leaving...AND giving the team he has loved for so long a chance to recapture former glory. ....I wonder if he would entertain the tought?

Thoughts?

I know it would be emotionally tough to let him go, but when thinking long term, a 15 month return for Pavel would be HUGE, give him a legit chance at winning before he leaves.....I see a lot of win-wins here.

Bottom line, I don't have a lot of faith in this current Wing group winning the cup for the next 2 years, so re-build/re-stocking the cupboard could be a pretty good idea, in the long term interests of the franchise. I'm sure this will be discussed in the media in the coming weeks....how could it not?

I think that for him to consider this, it would need to more than just about winning. He is a very wise player. If he's gonna do that, he's gonna have to want to be where he is going, otherwise why go? In Detroit, he's THE MAN. And he would be a great player no matter where he went. But if he goes to a contender, he won't be where he is in Detroit as far as reverence goes. Not only that, moving and all that may not be what he wants to do. I'm not saying that because I know, I'm saying I DON'T know, but I think that he is wise enough to want to play where he will be happy. Winning helps a lot, but it's not the only thing, despite what Vince Lombardi said.

That said, it would be a sad day for Detroit. Hasn't really happened here since Fedorov left, but we still had Yzerman and Lidstrom, so it didn't matter like this would in the short run.

Thought provoking post, jammer.

With the team's performance reacting the way it has with the retirement of Lidstrom and Holmstrom, it's likely they would be down the bottom of the standings if Datsyuk left. However, a move to the Eastern Conference may even alleviate that (a bit). In the last few years, a playoff berth in the Eastern Conference has been secured with fewer points in the standings (on average) than in the West.

Still, I'll be crying in my borscht if Pavel went to Russia too soon....

Besides, the Iron Curtain is long gone, they can get NHL Center Ice just as easily as anyone else!! :P

You'll find the East a lot tougher to play in than the West. The West has a few powerhouse teams and then crap teams. The East has a few powerhouse teams, then some mediocre teams that battle it out every year. Our bottom guys have a couple less points than your bottom playoff teams, but none of ours had Columbus to steamroll ten games either. ;)

Welcome to the East... Enjoy the slugfest.

• Like 1

You'll find the East a lot tougher to play in than the West. The West has a few powerhouse teams and then crap teams. The East has a few powerhouse teams, then some mediocre teams that battle it out every year. Our bottom guys have a couple less points than your bottom playoff teams, but none of ours had Columbus to steamroll ten games either. ;)

Welcome to the East... Enjoy the slugfest.

Maybe.

In our new division, we have:

Leafs and Canadiens, both having up years, likely due for a decline next yyear based on law of averages.

Lightning and Panthers. Neither a power house.

Sabres Hopelessly inept

Bruins Solid perenial threat

Senators underrated IF Karlsson can return in the same form as pre Cooke

Frankly, I love having three original six teams to play against, but this is the easiest division of the four by far. Eyes wide open, admitting that the Wings are on decline as well.

Maybe.

In our new division, we have:

Leafs and Canadiens, both having up years, likely due for a decline next yyear based on law of averages.

Lightning and Panthers. Neither a power house.

Sabres Hopelessly inept

Bruins Solid perenial threat

Senators underrated IF Karlsson can return in the same form as pre Cooke

Frankly, I love having three original six teams to play against, but this is the easiest division of the four by far. Eyes wide open, admitting that the Wings are on decline as well.

It's the other division you have to worry about. ;)