Canada vs Finland Game #1

Guest jammer2

Well, the first is over....a 2-0 lead, but I have some questions. Nice start, but not really satisfied. Most of the problem is with the goaltending selection. With each save, you can hear a nation getting ready to say "I knew it" if Visitin let's in a stinker. It's a LOT of pressure to be under. I respect Hay for making the decision, because it would have been really easy to say "time for a switch" after the Sweden stinker.....but Hay went with who he thought was best for the job....don't agree, but respect it.

I strongly disagree that Visitin was not responsible for the Sweden game goals. He got beat clean on one when he should have come out and cut off the angle more, two were simple rebound control problems....should have easily been wrapped up and he let out the tricklers into the crease and quickly were in the net....this is an ongoing problem. Wedge will get his chance, I just hope Visintin does not cost us large.

Love the balance in the lines. Howden and Smith Pelle make a great 2/3rds of any line. Had no idea Stone was as good as he is, even though he was leading the WHL in scoring, his play has been a pleasant surprise. Really like the Stone/Strome combo together...also like what I'm seeing from Gallagher...great work ethic. Really, really like our depth on forward the more I see them. Funny, you can't really get an accurate read from the exhibition games, it's only when it really counts that you see the real player....only get little hints from the earlier games.

Gormerly and Hamilton make a great combo back there, defense as a whole looks very impressive. From what I can see, the hallmark of any Don Hay team is ALWAYS having a outlet option in Canada's own end should problems arise. It's kind of a "leave no man behind" strategy....that outlet man is in perfect position should a strong forecheck occur from the opposition. That's strong discipline and good solid coaching. Liking what I'm seeing that respect. .

Well, second over, Canada has a nice lead and seems to have the game at hand. Visitin still looks shaky if you ask me. The blocker save he made early in the second was very telling. Didn't need to go after it, took him out of position and was very lucky the Fins did not tap it in for an easy goal.

If there was an question whether Hudereau was ready, the second period buried any of that, he looked great with Stome and Stone. His shot reminds me a lot of Tavares, the accuracy and release are identical. Worried about Smith-Pelle's ankle/foot injury, we need him against the bigger physical teams like the Americans. The more I see of the Gormerly/ Hamilton paring, the more I like them.

I've been looking for a comprehensive list of players drafted by NHL teams playing in this tourny and have not been able to find one. Off the top of the my head, I'm not aware of any Flyer picks in the World Jr's, but I could be wrong. Can't believe the Senators plucked Stone in the 6th round.....what a steal!!! I'm assuming Pearson of the Barrie Colts could very well be a first round pick this summer, and could be there when the Flyers pick due to his age (19).

I wondered about the outcome when Finland scored to make it 2-1. The Finns looked as if they were coming on, but the quick goal to make it 3-1 helped to change the complexion of the game.

One of the the improvements in the game now from the past, is the players singing their national anthems after a win. I'm from the US, but I got a little watery around my eyes, watching those young Canadian players sing Oh Canada.

I agree Block, no fake in that touching rendition of our anthem....just a bunch of kids wearing their patriotism with pride....very emotional. More to come...lol.

A nice preview I found...http://senshot.com/2011/12/26/preview-world-junior-championships/

I've been looking for a comprehensive list of players drafted by NHL teams playing in this tourny and have not been able to find one.

I thought I found one, but it only has the Canadian kids' draft status. Look in the middle column, half way down the page.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@AlaskaFlyerFan Nice find AFF....thanks very much!!

Very disappointing....not a single Flyer pick in the tourny this year....don't even remember the last time that happened!! The Wings (as usual) seem to be well represented...and the Minnesota Wild seem to have a boatload of young talent coming their way.

Edited by jammer2

Canada looked good against Finland, but the loss of Smith-Pelly is huge. He was basically the team sparkplug. I hope Visintin proves us all wrong and wins top goalie, I just don't see it happening. Huberdeau should only get better the more he plays, coming off an injury. I expect him to be the top scorer for the tournament.

Bring on the Czechs.