Penguins win the Cup

ruxpin

Okay, I know all about karma and really am not trying to jinx Pittsburgh, but I think the Pens win the Cup this year.

At the very least, I don't see anyone in the East that can skate with them so long as they stay fairly healthy and Fleury plays at least competently. I thought maybe the Bruins would make it interesting for Pitt, but I really think the Pens beat them fairly handily in a 7 game series.

I don't see anyone beating the Hawks out west, so should be Pens vs. Hawks. I know the consensus is Hawks, but they've played no one in the East. I think Pens vs. Hawks could be a fun series since the Hawks are probably the western team most like the east and the Pens are the eastern team most like the west. But again, so long as people stay healthy, I don't see Chicago handling Crosby and Malkin, et al.

Do see the Pens adding a top level dman? I think they win without someone else to pair with Letang, but if they do get a top flight guy to pair with him, they might be able to win this thing without perspiring.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I agree with you....I was talking to a Pens fan the other day, and I flat out told him that the last few weeks, the Pens look A LOT like the team that won the Cup a few years ago. They are solid in all 3 zones-limiting scoring chances-and getting solid goal tending. Granted, things can always change, but as it stands, they have to be the favorite.

And let's not forget that Shero always seems to make a very solid deadline deal.

They are really playing well right now, there is no doubt about it, if they stay healthy , i like their chances.

they are the chalk in the east, no question, maybe Price can hold them off, but of all the other strong teams in the east teh Pens manhandle them all, the Rangers are now too soft, the Bruins would be a physical series but the Pens have too much top end skill for the Broons to win. A team would have to get lucky or goalie insanely hot (Price, I've seen him do it in the Calder Cup) to beat them.

The Pens are definately on a roll. And if the playoffs were right now, they would be the favorite from the east. But have they peaked too soon? Cause playoffs are a month and a half away. I'm also not overly impressed with the Pens D. They've allowed 8 fewer goals than we have, and we all know how bad our defence and goaltending is. And the Bruins are definately built for playoffs, not for winning Presidents trophies.

The pens are playing very well and are loads of fun to watch right now, but lots of Hockey left. Remember, the Wings won 23 in a row at home last year then injuries threw them off their game and they were a non entity in the post season. Enjoy the run, but way to early to anoint then champs.

Be interesting to hear what actual Pens fans think....

I'll go out on a limb and say it's Bruins or Pens.

Bruins are a complete team and if Rask can keep his head together, they are very hard to beat.

Pens have a few injury concerns

I don't think Letang is a long-term or significant injury. He'll be back shortly.

If they have any major injury it changes the dynamic. They obviously have offense out of Crosby and Malkin, but the production they're getting out of complimentary players like Kunitz and Dupuis, etc, makes them difficult. But what really impresses me is that they are playing in all three zones. The forwards are coming back and taking care of things in their own end. IF (and that's the key word, isn't it) they continue this and so long as Malkin or Fleury don't do their semi-annual playoff disappearing act, they will be very hard to stop.

@Digityman

The actual Pens fans may be staying far far away from this thread. Superstition and karma being what they are and all. I don't think I'd go anywhere near a similar thread about the Flyers (in a different year, obviously)

I don't think Letang is a long-term or significant injury. He'll be back shortly.

If they have any major injury it changes the dynamic. They obviously have offense out of Crosby and Malkin, but the production they're getting out of complimentary players like Kunitz and Dupuis, etc, makes them difficult. But what really impresses me is that they are playing in all three zones. The forwards are coming back and taking care of things in their own end. IF (and that's the key word, isn't it) they continue this and so long as Malkin or Fleury don't do their semi-annual playoff disappearing act, they will be very hard to stop.

@Digityman

The actual Pens fans may be staying far far away from this thread. Superstition and karma being what they are and all. I don't think I'd go anywhere near a similar thread about the Flyers (in a different year, obviously)

Okay, Pens fan stepping into the quagmire. Screw superstitions(Knock on wood while throwing salt over my shoulder)

Do I think that the Pens CAN win the cup this season, you bet. They have one of the most dynamic offenses in the league, with two lines that sometimes look like they can score at will. Crosby's line has been on fire since about game 8 of the season. With the addition of Bennet on Malkin's line, his line has looked unstoppable also. Neal is even starting to score even strength goals. Third line is solid at checking the other teams top line, and Sutter is now starting to scores goals.

Do I think they WILL win the cup, sadly not at the moment. I still think that the Pens are still a top 4 defenseman away from the cup. Yes they can score goals, but everyone knows that the rules change during the playoffs. More hooding, holding and interference are always allowed in the playoffs. Their offense will not be scoring in bundles. That means defensive games, and that is NOT the Pens strong suit.

Don't get me wrong, they've given up a total of 5 goals in their last 5 games, and have shown that they CAN play that kind of game, but its not their strength. Martin,Letang and Despres are offensive minded backliners, putting the onus of pure defense on Orpik, Niskanen, Bortozzo, Engelland and Eaton. I think Eaton was a great start at becoming better defensively, and could be a solid 3rd pairing guy. As much as I love what I see in Despres, I think he's going to be a liability in the playoffs. Bortozzoooooonooooo. And Engelland is physical, but overplays too much. I WANT MY SHUT DOWN PAIR!!!!!!!! Just not there, the best that we have would probably be Orpik/Niskanen, but Orpik has played pretty bad this year.

The goaltending is as it has always been, Fleury ON or Fleury OFF. Yes he has a cup, but I have never been sold on him. Makes greats saves one day, and couldn't stop a beach ball the next. What aided him in the cup year was the Gil - Scuder pairing which totally shut down the other teams top lines and PP's. We just do not have that.

Scoring lots of goals is great, but its more important to stop them in the playoffs.

Bruins vs Pens in ECF....Hawks vs Ducks in WCF???

The jinx is on for somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Glad i could be of service....yet injuries can change this landscape in a flash!

Anything can happen at any time, I suppose, but I could see the Devils or the Habs getting on enough of a roll at the right time to interrupt the Bruins/Pens party, but that's the likely two teams.

I just don't see anyone out west interrupting Chicago. Someone might get going enough to off the Ducks, though.