The value of Matt Read

Just wondering the value he brings to the Flyers. He was 3rd in total ice time versus tampa last night. He had a couple of great shots off_the_post (if my memory is correct). He has only has 2 PIM this year. I believe he is in the 2nd year of a max entry level contract and can play any forward position. According to NHL.com he is 26. So with the season a bust, and he has struggled a bit lately due to the injury, what do the Flyers do with him?

I remember Metzler writing he did not feel Matt Reid could be kept beyond his entry level contract. What salary range is he worth beyond the contract? What would he be worth now in terms of a trade.

Personally he is one of my favorite flyers and I don't want to see him go. Getting rid of Briere would go a long way to keeping him.

It is a very good question but I would be against trading hm honestly... I think he is the only pure goal scorer on the team. Right now I would favor trying anything to get rid of Briere. He is a well respected veteran in that locker room and moving him would definitely send a message. Something needs to be done soon and although I truly like Lavy I think he is going to end up the fall guy here...

The team just looks like it has quit and the message is not getting through. Back to your original question I dont think Read will fetch much in return - Bobby Ryan maybe? :blink: :blink:

Edited by murraycraven

Just wondering the value he brings to the Flyers. He was 3rd in total ice time versus tampa last night. He had a couple of great shots off_the_post (if my memory is correct). He has only has 2 PIM this year. I believe he is in the 2nd year of a max entry level contract and can play any forward position. According to NHL.com he is 26. So with the season a bust, and he has struggled a bit lately due to the injury, what do the Flyers do with him?

I remember Metzler writing he did not feel Matt Reid could be kept beyond his entry level contract. What salary range is he worth beyond the contract? What would he be worth now in terms of a trade.

Personally he is one of my favorite flyers and I don't want to see him go. Getting rid of Briere would go a long way to keeping him.

Way to much to trade. He should not be traded at all.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be shopping him, but if come draft time somebody comes and offers a mid 1st for him, how do you not pull the trigger? The guy was a FA signing, pretty damn good return of investment if you ask me!

Only reason I would think about trading him is for cap reasons, the guy is an absolute steal right now and will want to get paid by the time his contract runs up.

I wouldn't trade Read because the likely compensation in the way of player/picks won't be commensurate to what Read brings to the team. Remember, Read is 26 and was an undrafted free agent signing so his value isn't likely as high as we think it is as far as pieces coming back in a trade. Schenn, Couterier, and Laughton would likely fetch better in a trade, not that I advocate trading them all or even one of them.

Agreed, a trade including Read is not a favorable option. So then, what is he worth come contract time? 3, 4, 5 million a season? 3, 4 year deal? He is a top six forward with a 24 goal season under his belt. He plays in all situations. I just hope the Flyers do not hamstring themselves so that can not resign him.

If the question is how much of a contract, he probably gets in the $2.5M - (maybe) $3M range. I don't think much more than that.

I really like Read. I'd involve him in a trade if I have to trade from perceived strength (forward) for perceived weakness (defense, goal, head coach, general manager, owner). But I do it in the "gotta give to get" spirit, because I'd rather he stay here.

Read's issue is that he will be a UFA at the end of his deal.

20/50 players don't grow on trees. That's Andrew Ladd, Shane Doan, Drew Stafford, Jiri Hudler, Jordan Staal in 2011.

Ladd's on at $4.5M

Stafford: $4M

Hudler: $4M

Staal: $6M

Doan: $5.3M

I don't see where $4M is beyond the realm of possibility. If Drew Stafford is worth $4M, Matt Read is probably worth $4 Billion.

• Like 4

@off_the_post

i don't really think resigning him is going to that big of a deal. he had a nice (though late) rookie season, but his skill set looks like that of a 6-7 forward to me. drew stafford may have gotten $4mil, but regier is insane, and we all know this. $3mil for read seems right to me. 20-50 players may not grow on trees, but they aren't exactly diamonds, either.

all of that said, i'm looking at other guys in that performance neighborhood, and they are, in fact, getting $4mil+. if that's the case: trade bait, frankly. that production is not worth that cap hit, and each of those contracts are mistakes. stafford, ladd, versteeg, fisher, these should not be 8+% of your cap total. guys like shane doan bring some other things to the table, but those other guys -read included- just don't. they bring medium-high point totals, and that's it.

@off_the_post

i don't really think resigning him is going to that big of a deal. he had a nice (though late) rookie season, but his skill set looks like that of a 6-7 forward to me. drew stafford may have gotten $4mil, but regier is insane, and we all know this. $3mil for read seems right to me. 20-50 players may not grow on trees, but they aren't exactly diamonds, either.

all of that said, i'm looking at other guys in that performance neighborhood, and they are, in fact, getting $4mil+. if that's the case: trade bait, frankly. that production is not worth that cap hit, and each of those contracts are mistakes. stafford, ladd, versteeg, fisher, these should not be 8+% of your cap total. guys like shane doan bring some other things to the table, but those other guys -read included- just don't. they bring medium-high point totals, and that's it.

Guy had a nice rookie season and was a steal. I know he was injured but he has 7 goals and 7 assists. three of those goals were a hat trick. Outside of that game, he has only 2 other multiple point games and one of those was against the islanders. He's a nice player but I think he gets way too much hype on this forum

Edited by CoachX

I know he was injured but he has 7 goals and 7 assists. three of those goals were a hat trick

I know what you're saying but at 24 games played, that still comes out to nearly 24 G 24 A 48 pts. over an 82 game season (strangely almost exactly what he did last year in 79 games --24-23-47. Talk about consistency) . Not bad for a kid with speed who can play in any situation on any line. He doesn't take stupid penalties like Hartnell and doesn't float around counting people wearing floral prints in the stands like Briere. Yeah, he's probably a trade piece if need be, but I think he's a terrific second year player.

I know what you're saying but at 24 games played, that still comes out to nearly 24 G 24 A 48 pts. over an 82 game season (strangely almost exactly what he did last year in 79 games --24-23-47. Talk about consistency) . Not bad for a kid with speed who can play in any situation on any line. He doesn't take stupid penalties like Hartnell and doesn't float around counting people wearing floral prints in the stands like Briere. Yeah, he's probably a trade piece if need be, but I think he's a terrific second year player.

Ok, that was good. No that was great!

• 1 month later...

However in order to address the backend as Homer puts it some one will need to go in a trade...

...and by the looks of it besides touching Schenn, Jake and Coots that only really leave he and Mezz with no NTC or NMC and since it would make little sense to address the blueline yet move Mezz...

...so it will have to be Read and/or a prospect and/or a draft pick...whom and how much is another discussion...but it may be coming. Sooner rather than later.

Maybe at the draft.

Who's Read's replacement? I don't see it.

We will be loosing goals per game again. The only worthwile would be a Weber type, if we trade Read with our first and second/or considerations. Read has a lot of drive and a very positive outlook when on the ice, he believes in himself and trusts he can make a difference in his play, the only time he second guessed that I saw this year was when he was on the ice was when it was a 3 on 1 and he had the puck and he flubbed the choice of shooting or passing, he second guessed himself and even the crowd let him have it a little. A rare occasion and more rare for 1/2 year player.

But like the majority of opinion here, he is a very valuable commodity, that goes under the radar, he flew by the whole NHL as a matter of fact and he is a valuable gear that just isn't on the front page of TSN.

Trading a "Known" Read, for a higher draft "Unknown" is a gamble.

Behind the glass, the toys always look more "shinier"(more shiny) in the store window.

That's too bad the NHL has to police the league and can't let the Teams buy whatever players they want.

And have to cripple teams with salary caps. It was sad to see Chicago have/force to dismantle their Stanley Cup Championship Team right after they won the Cup.

As a sport you always want to challenge the competition again if you lost against them, That's how sports teams use to be and that's how rivalries where stronger, because you knew the opposition and rooted against them.

• Like 1

I like Read. I like that he can play in any situation. I'd rather not see him go anywhere. I guess I could see him going for a high end dman in a package thing, but I wouldn't be over-joyed about ti..

And I'd trade Mez for anything I can get. He's not the answer on the blue line going forward.

I would keep Matt Read. I see him a little bit like a Martin St. Louis who entered the league later and then blossomed. St. Louis only earned a spot at 25, and he got 40 points his rookie year, 35 the next (in 53 games). After that, he really took off and reached the upper levels.

I'm not saying that Read will do the same, just that he reminds me a bit of St. Louis in the way he plays the game and his skillset.

I don't think we've seen the best of Read.

I would keep Matt Read. I see him a little bit like a Martin St. Louis who entered the league later and then blossomed. St. Louis only earned a spot at 25, and he got 40 points his rookie year, 35 the next (in 53 games). After that, he really took off and reached the upper levels.

I'm not saying that Read will do the same, just that he reminds me a bit of St. Louis in the way he plays the game and his skillset.

I don't think we've seen the best of Read.

I like Read a lot, but realistically, he's the most expendable of the players coming up as FAs after next season:

Giroux, BSchenn, Couturier, Read.

His $900K salary make him very attractive for a team rightnow, but the Flyers aren't going to get him for $900K again. They have $46M signed for 14-15 and need to re-up three of those four and pick up a top line defenseman.

Not impossible, but Read just comes across as the most valuable in a trade and the most expendable of the assets to deal.

• Like 1

I like Read a lot, but realistically, he's the most expendable of the players coming up as FAs after next season:

Giroux, BSchenn, Couturier, Read.

His $900K salary make him very attractive for a team rightnow, but the Flyers aren't going to get him for $900K again. They have $46M signed for 14-15 and need to re-up three of those four and pick up a top line defenseman.

Not impossible, but Read just comes across as the most valuable in a trade and the most expendable of the assets to deal.

I'm not sure he's the most valuable. I would think Schenn and Couturier have more trade value than Read.

In terms of most expendable, again, I'm not so sure. For the immediate future (next 1-2 seasons), yes. But Giroux, Couturier and Schenn are all centers, and at some point, one of them will not be happy as 3rd string (see Staal, Jordan). So, we can take the attitude that we won't worry about it until it's actually a problem. That's probably the smartest way to go about it. The Pens were able to get good value for Staal.

Or we can look at it as using one of them now to fill a long-term need in goal or on defense. I would not trade either Schenn or Coots for Yandle or a Yandle-type. But Homer probably would, even if he (apparently) said no at the deadline.

I would definitely consider moving Coots or Schenn for a chance at Nurse. If the 5th or 6th pick comes along and Nurse is still on the board, I'd be happy if Calgary or Carolina were willing to swap spots.

I'm not sure he's the most valuable. I would think Schenn and Couturier have more trade value than Read.

In terms of most expendable, again, I'm not so sure. For the immediate future (next 1-2 seasons), yes. But Giroux, Couturier and Schenn are all centers, and at some point, one of them will not be happy as 3rd string (see Staal, Jordan). So, we can take the attitude that we won't worry about it until it's actually a problem. That's probably the smartest way to go about it. The Pens were able to get good value for Staal.

Or we can look at it as using one of them now to fill a long-term need in goal or on defense. I would not trade either Schenn or Coots for Yandle or a Yandle-type. But Homer probably would, even if he (apparently) said no at the deadline.

I would definitely consider moving Coots or Schenn for a chance at Nurse. If the 5th or 6th pick comes along and Nurse is still on the board, I'd be happy if Calgary or Carolina were willing to swap spots.

I would move any of the four.

To be clear, I think in terms of "value" that Read's maturity, salary and accomplishments make him an attractive pickup - and one the Flyers could 'afford' to lose. I concur that BSchenn and Couturier are probably more "valued" in terms of potential and talent. A lot depends on the trade partner.

The Flyers have never been shy about converting forwards to their needs. Giroux was drafted as a wing and Briere was famously the "#1 Center" that got slotted into whatever foward position they needed. The organization drafts centers like the Isles sign goalies.

I would move any of the four.

You would move Giroux?

To be clear, I think in terms of "value" that Read's maturity, salary and accomplishments make him an attractive pickup - and one the Flyers could 'afford' to lose. I concur that BSchenn and Couturier are probably more "valued" in terms of potential and talent. A lot depends on the trade partner.

Gotcha. And you're right that a lot depends on the trading partner. I'm not sure exactly what Carolina and Calgary are looking for, but both could certainly use a young defenseman. So they might not be willing to trade down.

The Flyers have never been shy about converting forwards to their needs. Giroux was drafted as a wing and Briere was famously the "#1 Center" that got slotted into whatever foward position they needed. The organization drafts centers like the Isles sign goalies.

I can foresee the same happening with Schenn or Coots... being forced to the wing to get more playing time on the top two lines. They did the same with Carter, Briere, Giroux. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. That seems to be our MO.