Prospect Sean Day granted OHL exceptional status.

jammer2

15 year old Detroit Compuware D-man Sean Day has been granted exceptional status for the upcoming 2013-14 OHL season. He is now the 4th player to recieve such status, following Tavares, Exblad, and Connor McDavid. Not sure where he is slotted to go in the upcoming OHL draft, but top 3 is pretty well guaranteed.....basically because teams will know they have a guaranteed 3 years with the kid before the draft, and maybe 1-2 after the draft. It's really rare for CHL teams to have so long with a player, so just on years of service alone, his draft stautus will skyrocket. First time I have heard of this kid, but sure it will not be the last.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=418725

@jammer2

Honestly didn't think he was going to get it. Obviously a talented kid. Born in Belgium (I believe) grew up in the US, but has Canadian citizenship. I'm not totally sure what influence there is on this decision, but I really don't think the CHL wanted to let him go the NCAA route.

@flyercanuck Day could evolve into one of those giants, ie Chara etc....has years and years to add to that 6'2....and 197, wow that is a nice frame for a 15 year old!! I guess he's a pretty good skater also, but will struggle as the growth spurts come and go....which is totally normal as you know. Spits are a non playoff team, so they might be able to get him, but think we draft at #4...so he will be gone....to bad.