Chris Stewart to Penguins Trade Scenario

B21

It's an interesting trade scnenario....

http://thehockeywriters.com/chris-stewart-pittsburgh-trade-scenario/

The article mentioned Martin, Orpik and Niskanen as options to go back to the Blues. That would make sense if Stewart had another year left on his deal.

If he's only a rental, I'd love the move if it were only draft pick(s) and/or prospects going back to the Blues (the usual caveat of no Depres, Morrow, Maatta, Dumoulin or Pouliot). And with the year he is having he really would be just a rental for the Pens as he'll likely command a deal in the neighborhood of $5,000,000 per year and that just won't fit under the cap.

@B21

I'm not big on giving up Niskanen for him... and certainly not Martin. I like the idea of a hard nosed winger playing with Sid and Kunitz... but at what cost? Dupuis hasn't exactly been lacking this season.

And Orpik finally seems to be himself these last two games. Our only truly physical defenseman. So I dunno...

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922 The more I see of Niskanen, the more I like his overall game. Funny how you kinda get preconcieved notions of a player before actually getting to see them play. Early on, I viewed Niskanen as a offense first, bad in his own end kinda guy......but to my surprise, he's solid in his own end......really like his play without the puck also. Stewart would be a great addition for you guys, but I'd be looking at others besides Niskanen, esp considering we do not know his true ceiling.....he could be an future all star that is just coming into his own.....yeah, I'd stay away from dealing Niskanen.

• Like 1

@Polaris922 The more I see of Niskanen, the more I like his overall game. Funny how you kinda get preconcieved notions of a player before actually getting to see them play. Early on, I viewed Niskanen as a offense first, bad in his own end kinda guy......but to my surprise, he's solid in his own end......really like his play without the puck also. Stewart would be a great addition for you guys, but I'd be looking at others besides Niskanen, esp considering we do not know his true ceiling.....he could be an future all star that is just coming into his own.....yeah, I'd stay away from dealing Niskanen.

Therein lies my problem with the trade rumor. I don't really want ANY of our defensemen to go for Stewart, except maybe Eaton. Even HE has been playing great defense now, perhaps realizing he has a home here and just have to give his all every shift. And as @B21 said... stay the hell away from our prospects and youth back there if it's just a rental!

@B21

I'm not big on giving up Niskanen for him... and certainly not Martin. I like the idea of a hard nosed winger playing with Sid and Kunitz... but at what cost? Dupuis hasn't exactly been lacking this season.

And Orpik finally seems to be himself these last two games. Our only truly physical defenseman. So I dunno...

We're on the same page. I'd love for them to kick the tires on Stewart in the offseason...he'd be a nice long-term replacement for either Dupuis or Kunitz.

Dupius is UFA after this season and is making $1,500,000. Kunitz is UFA the year after and is making $3,725,000. Both could be in line for a decent sized raise. Both are also 33. If I am going to pay big money I'd rather it be for a Chris Stewart than a Kunitz or Dupuis.

But I don't want to sacrifice much of the current roster this year just for a rental.

• Like 1

@B21 I understand the concept of not investing in players that are looking to sign into their late 30, it's a smart way to go about business. Having said that, Kunitz is *still* on pace for 106 pts in a regular 82 game season. That's a lot of offense to walk away from. I realize he has not produced like this in the past, no history of even being a point per game guy, his best season before this break out was a 61 pt effort. Do you think this year is just crazy out of proportion and he could never do it again? Maybe a two year deal would work out of the Pens. If he goes UFA it would be interesting to see what he gets paid, his agent will be selling him as a 100 point forward (lol) and the GM's will be saying he's historically a 0.5 pt per game kinda guy.

Therein lies my problem with the trade rumor. I don't really want ANY of our defensemen to go for Stewart, except maybe Eaton. Even HE has been playing great defense now, perhaps realizing he has a home here and just have to give his all every shift. And as @B21 said... stay the hell away from our prospects and youth back there if it's just a rental!

Sorry, don't think it happens. Really

I go back to the other thread on the trade deadline for some sense here. The Pens are not going to give up anyone on their top six at the moment for a power forward who may or may not work out. The blues are not going to take ANY of our bottom six(unless we throw in Glass for free, PLEASE). Which leave the defense. I don't think that the Pens would be willing to depart with Letang or Despres, so the only one of value left would be Martin, and we'd probably ask for stewart plus pick.

As a GM, I'm looking to improve my team for a playoff run. So if I'm Ray Shero, am I helping my team? Stewart LONG term is better than probably Dupes or Kunitz with Sid, but would you REALLY break up that line now????? There's too much chemistry. And I don't think that Stewart on Malkin's line would be any better than with Bennet or Neal.

And if your St Louis, how are you improving your team if you give up your top scorer as you're fighting for a playoff spot. Martin is not going to fill in that role.

I'm not seeing how this helps the Pens. Alot of people always complain that Sid doesn't get to play with great wingers, he doesn't need great wingers, servicable wingers is all he needs.

Add to that the fact that Stewart is going to want a raise from the $3M he's making this year, and he may turn out to simply be a rental.

No Thanks would be my opinion

@nossagog I agree, I don't see the Pens breaking up either of their top 2 lines to insert Stewart.....and he's reallly like a square peg in a round hole when you talk about Stewart on the 3rd line.....also, the main reason Stewart has been in and out of Hitch's dog house was lack of commitment to defense and lazy play in general...I don't give up a kep piece to acquire anybody with issues like that.....I'd pass also.

@B21 I understand the concept of not investing in players that are looking to sign into their late 30, it's a smart way to go about business. Having said that, Kunitz is *still* on pace for 106 pts in a regular 82 game season. That's a lot of offense to walk away from. I realize he has not produced like this in the past, no history of even being a point per game guy, his best season before this break out was a 61 pt effort. Do you think this year is just crazy out of proportion and he could never do it again? Maybe a two year deal would work out of the Pens. If he goes UFA it would be interesting to see what he gets paid, his agent will be selling him as a 100 point forward (lol) and the GM's will be saying he's historically a 0.5 pt per game kinda guy.

I think this year is an aberration for Kunitz. 40 point increase on your career high at age 33? I know it can happen but it's rare. Nothing has really changed except he is getting more time with Crosby. He's always been on "Crosby's Line" since we aquired him but Crosby has not always been on "Crosby's Line". Especially the last two seasons.

It's nice to see but 1) I wouldn't expect a repeat next year and 2) I would not overpay for a career year at age 33 if I am Shero. A lot hangs on what he does next year I think. Another 90-100 point season and the Pens likely won't be able to afford him without a hometown discount (which actually happens a lot for them these days).

Back to Stewart and the deals the writer mentioned...those seem to be the kind of deals you make in the offseason. Not midseason. When you are 22-8 you add without subtracting. You don't swap strengths unless you need a shake up which the Pens don't. Right now, we don't need a winger (did I just type that?).

So I say see what he's looking for in the offseason only because of the probability of the following scenario...

Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Niskanen and Orpik are the big name UFA in 2014-15. It's no secret the Pens will start negotiations with at least Malkin and Letang this summer. I'll go on record that it's probably a foregone conclusion that Malkin gets the same deal Crosby did. $8,7000,000 per year for a long time. If Shero sees that he can't come to terms with any of the others, they get traded in a deal similar to Staal/Suter....most likely Letang. At that point, whichever of the D prospects is most ready steps in and now you can afford a Stewart.

I don't see the Blues giving Stewart up for nothing even if they cannot resign him. He has been one of the hottest players in the game for the past few weeks.

The Blues are right in the middle in the west, starting to put a little distance and looking like a 4 seed, I feel confident that prospects/picks wouldn't be enough. Martin is who they are likely targeting, if there is validity to the deal, the Pens have a history of this type of deal (Neal for Goligoski) so it would not be a surprise.

That said, I think the Pens need to hold on to their Blue liners more than they need another forward. Remember last spring when the defense collapsed? Yes the Pens are playing lights out and on a fun wining streak but the defense is fragile, taking a Martin or Niskanen out of the mix would really stretch it to a dangerous level. Unless the Pens could get a top four blue liner (Boyle? Bouwmeester?) for a combo of picks and prospects, no way no how do I do this deal.

• Like 2

I don't see the Blues giving Stewart up for nothing even if they cannot resign him. He has been one of the hottest players in the game for the past few weeks.

The Blues are right in the middle in the west, starting to put a little distance and looking like a 4 seed, I feel confident that prospects/picks wouldn't be enough. Martin is who they are likely targeting, if there is validity to the deal, the Pens have a history of this type of deal (Neal for Goligoski) so it would not be a surprise.

That said, I think the Pens need to hold on to their Blue liners more than they need another forward. Remember last spring when the defense collapsed? Yes the Pens are playing lights out and on a fun wining streak but the defense is fragile, taking a Martin or Niskanen out of the mix would really stretch it to a dangerous level. Unless the Pens could get a top four blue liner (Boyle? Bouwmeester?) for a combo of picks and prospects, no way no how do I do this deal.

Could not have said it better, Yave. It's not even a deal to consider unless the this is a true "rental" trade (player for picks/prospects) which - if the write is accurate - is not what the Blues are looking for.

Now Boyle on the other hand....

@yave1964 "The Blues are right in the middle in the west, starting to put a little distance and looking like a 4 seed, I feel confident that prospects/picks wouldn't be enough."

I would agree, but with one small (ok, kinda big...lol) cavet....their goaltending is a mess. Halak has had back to back to back horrible stats, Ellitot has outright sucked this year, and the only saving grace is the kid Jake Allen has saved their beacon more than a few times. If not for Allen, they would not be in a playoff position. Kinda scary going into the home stretch with a rookie who has played less than 20 games for his career being the only good tender. A lot will ride on the Blues game on Saturday. To me, how the Blues move forward depends on this pivitol game on Saturday....if Halak sucks again, the goaltending will be a serious question mark with only a month or less to fix it.

For a pure defense first system like the Blues run, not having adequate goaltending is a pretty big deal. They can't count on the offense to pick up the slack and save the game if the goalie lets in a few softies.

I would agree, but with one small (ok, kinda big...lol) cavet....their goaltending is a mess. Halak has had back to back to back horrible stats, Ellitot has outright sucked this year, and the only saving grace is the kid Jake Allen has saved their beacon more than a few times. If not for Allen, they would not be in a playoff position. Kinda scary going into the home stretch with a rookie who has played less than 20 games for his career being the only good tender. A lot will ride on the Blues game on Saturday. To me, how the Blues move forward depends on this pivitol game on Saturday....if Halak sucks again, the goaltending will be a serious question mark with only a month or less to fix it.

For a pure defense first system like the Blues run, not having adequate goaltending is a pretty big deal. They can't count on the offense to pick up the slack and save the game if the goalie lets in a few softies.

Jammer,

The blues are actually eighth in goals scored so far this year, they are playing a more wide open game. As far as goaltending goes, for better or worse, Elliot and Halak are the Blues goaltenders, Allen has been a godsend for them, but he was below .500 with Peoria and frankly has played out of his rear. His bubble will burst.

Yes, the Blues need a defensemen, yes, Stewart is a free agent at the end of the season and is having the hottest streak of his career, but unless they can add a top four d-man I could not see any way that it would be to the Blues advantage to trade him, If they feel they can make a serious run this year. Martin is the only guy on the Pens blue line that really fits their need.

@yave1964 Wow, the Blues....8th in goals scored? That's a shocker for me. I just know in fantasy hockey, most of the elite Blues like Backes, Oshie etc eventually end up being waiver wire fodder, just very streaky players who can disappear off the scoresheet for games/weeks at at time. Seems like they are getting better secondary scoring this year....a big part of that is Tarasenko on the 3rd line, along with Schwartz.

Absolute agree. My views are they either are going to look for a solid shutdown on defense, or they will try to upgrade their third line and push Kennedy and/or Cooke to the fourth line. They do not need further offense.

• Like 1

@yave1964 Wow, the Blues....8th in goals scored? That's a shocker for me. I just know in fantasy hockey, most of the elite Blues like Backes, Oshie etc eventually end up being waiver wire fodder, just very streaky players who can disappear off the scoresheet for games/weeks at at time. Seems like they are getting better secondary scoring this year....a big part of that is Tarasenko on the 3rd line, along with Schwartz.

Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo are in the top twelve in scoring from the blue line, and Jackman is in double digits in points. Rushing the puck from all three pairings is the key to the blues offense, but that is why the points are so balanced, the scoring is set up by the defense. That is why Stewart leads the team in scoring, 22nd overall.