Flyers management is quiet

ctid

I am VERY surprised at how quiet Homer and the crew are. This is not very Flyers-like at all. I'm not saying that I hope they blow it all up or anything like that. Just saying it is very unusual.

The Sabres fired Ruff, Tampa fired Boucher...last time the flyers were in this situation, people were fired and major moves were made. Now nothing...one thing I presume the Flyers are known for around the league is to make bold moves and generally being impatient.

I for one actually welcome this "patience" and hope they don't do anything stupid like trading away some of the future. But again, it's just weird, nothing is happening.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on they Flyers doing something big VERY soon. Just hope it's not stupid big.

Perhaps there simply aren't any reasonable moves out there. With the whole internet/fantasy/trade speculation world we live in, people assume there are tons of trades to be had at any moment. (not saying you ctid) And if there are trade offers... maybe they Flyers are being asked to give up too much for too little. They're in a bad spot and I'm sure the vultures are circling... heck knows I'd be trying to steal on of the flyers' young centres in I had the chance.

I guess a big move could be Lavi as well... but unless you want boucher or ruff, what's the point?

No point in trying to make a splash right now... hopefully WE can be the ones to fleece someone by offloading some vets at the last minute to a 'bubble' team. If not, might as well wait until the draft.

@ctid

i think they are coming to the realization that the flyers are sellers this year, and so are letting the market ripen. week and a half until the trade deadline, i'd expect noise to start next weekend.

• Like 1

don't be surprised when Couturier gets traded for Jay Bouwmeester. I "smell" something dumb like this shaping up. I'm sure the Flyers realize they're sellers this year but they'll see JB as a "huge" upgrade to our depleted D and Couturier - because he didn't light up the world in his 2nd year - as expendable.

@Phillygrump, you should totally expect Coots or Schenn to be dealt as part of a deal for a defensmen. Last year when we had Matt Carle who can work the PP and rush the puck, the Devils manhandled our defense and we couldnt even get out of our own end., now our defense is even slower. So in order to get a top 2 defenseman, we are going to have to give up something and its not gonna be Giroux or Voracek, or Simmonds and Matt Read is probably not enough to get us the kind of dman we need. We cant trade Hartnell since he is a key to creating room for Giroux, so who is left to trade? That would be Coots or Schenn, my guess is Coots.

I would immediatlley throw up if any type of Bouwmisery for Coots trade happened. The only way I trade coots (skating problems and all) is I get a long term solution piece of the puzzle, a *fairly* young d-man with upside or a goalie.....that's it....I don't see one single reason to bring Jay into the fold, with that cap hit, the slow plodding pace he plays at, the lack of physicality from the big guy, NO....NOO>....NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! That's not even mentioning his outrageous cap hit....Good Lord....this better not happen!!

• Like 1

yeah, and hey who knows, maybe Couturier won't ever be more than a 3rd-line checking center. Maybe he never finds a scoring touch in the NHL. And Bouwmeester *could* help us defensively. I'd just like to see more of Couturier (and Schenn) before we start dealing them for overpriced D-men....and JB is overpriced imo. His cap hit is almost $7 million.

the reason I even mentioned it ... Last week as a joke I said somewhere on this board that the Flyers would probably trade for Bouwmeester. It was preposterous suggestion and I'm sure anyone who read it took it that way.

So this morning I'm reading philly.com hockey writers and here's Sam Carchidi talking about what a good move it would be getting Bouwmeester.

I swear I think the guy read this forum, saw my post and didn't understand IT WAS A JOKE!

from the article:

It's no coincidence that Giroux and Hartnell had career seasons with Jagr on their unit. For that reason, don't be surprised if general manager Paul Holmgren tries to bring Jagr back near the April 3 trade deadline. (Though it says here, if he can arrange a deal for a player he has always liked, Calgary defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, the Flyers would be much better served.)

this bit about "it says here" is Carchidi's oh-so-funny way of referring to himself. ugh.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130324_Inside_the_Flyers___Loss_of_Jaromir_Jagr_helps_explain_Flyers__road_woes.html

I am VERY surprised at how quiet Homer and the crew are. This is not very Flyers-like at all. I'm not saying that I hope they blow it all up or anything like that. Just saying it is very unusual.

The Sabres fired Ruff, Tampa fired Boucher...last time the flyers were in this situation, people were fired and major moves were made. Now nothing...one thing I presume the Flyers are known for around the league is to make bold moves and generally being impatient.

I for one actually welcome this "patience" and hope they don't do anything stupid like trading away some of the future. But again, it's just weird, nothing is happening.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on they Flyers doing something big VERY soon. Just hope it's not stupid big.

You are wishing the Flyers do something big. Not going to happen in my opinion. They are playing out the season and deciding where they end up and look like draft wise. Could be some player movement but minor. I see some asistant coaches being changed out.

Perhaps there simply aren't any reasonable moves out there. With the whole internet/fantasy/trade speculation world we live in, people assume there are tons of trades to be had at any moment. (not saying you ctid) And if there are trade offers... maybe they Flyers are being asked to give up too much for too little. They're in a bad spot and I'm sure the vultures are circling... heck knows I'd be trying to steal on of the flyers' young centres in I had the chance.

I guess a big move could be Lavi as well... but unless you want boucher or ruff, what's the point?

No point in trying to make a splash right now... hopefully WE can be the ones to fleece someone by offloading some vets at the last minute to a 'bubble' team. If not, might as well wait until the draft.

Next year same coach and GM. Different D pieces, the biggest changes.

@fishbulb

Agreed. I guess we are all pretty much on the same page here, off-load vets and be patient. Let's hope Homer and, more importantly, Snider sees it that way too. Something tells me they don't though...

Unfortunately Ed's purse is always open and the checkbok and pen ready.. I like the competiveness but when you swing for the fences and miss the swosh is deafening...

@Phillygrump, you should totally expect Coots or Schenn to be dealt as part of a deal for a defensmen. Last year when we had Matt Carle who can work the PP and rush the puck, the Devils manhandled our defense and we couldnt even get out of our own end., now our defense is even slower. So in order to get a top 2 defenseman, we are going to have to give up something and its not gonna be Giroux or Voracek, or Simmonds and Matt Read is probably not enough to get us the kind of dman we need. We cant trade Hartnell since he is a key to creating room for Giroux, so who is left to trade? That would be Coots or Schenn, my guess is Coots.

Just not this season and not for JBlo

don't be surprised when Couturier gets traded for Jay Bouwmeester. I "smell" something dumb like this shaping up. I'm sure the Flyers realize they're sellers this year but they'll see JB as a "huge" upgrade to our depleted D and Couturier - because he didn't light up the world in his 2nd year - as expendable.

Canoli is that freaking happens......God Forbid man just no please for the love of all creation no!!!

Maybe we can deal Coots to PHX for Yandle...but we do need to make a Desjardins like trade, we gave up Recchi but Desjardins was our top dman for 10 years, we need to do something like that. JBo is grossly overpaid

Could happen, rumor has it the PHX GM is at the Phi @ Pit game tonight (weak source: chat on this homepage).

the Flyers could easily shed $7+ million in cap space...buy out Bryzgalov, trade Briere and maybe Hartnell too. We're way over $7mil just with 2 of those 3. Yes it means Briere and Hartnell have to waive their NMC - or we could buy out 2 of them and create plenty of cap space - but in any case getting a player with a NMC to agree to a trade isn't impossible.