Two-Morrows...

Polaris922

As posted in the other forum... There appears to be a deal in place for getting Brendan Morrow in trade for Joe Morrow. This is pending B.Morrow waiving his NTC to move.

I don't like this move. If you're going to get a left winger and bump Bennett.... At least get a scoring winger. I know Morrow brings maturity and grit, but at this point I think we have that.

As posted in the other forum... There appears to be a deal in place for getting Brendan Morrow in trade for Joe Morrow. This is pending B.Morrow waiving his NTC to move.

I don't like this move. If you're going to get a left winger and bump Bennett.... At least get a scoring winger. I know Morrow brings maturity and grit, but at this point I think we have that.

Is there any better than just the normal rumor places with this, I did not see that something was in place.

Anyway the Pens DO have a bit of cap space to work with this season. My guess would be that Dallas has no intention of resigning Morrow, so whatever they can get for him would be better than nothing. I don't think that this would be to move Bennet down. I don't really think he would play on the top lines. But what would you think if instead Morrow was slotted on the third line instead. Slot him on a line with Sutter and Cooke, push Kennedy either down to the fourth line or out the door. That could work out for us.

Problem would be what would the Stars want. Morrow is 34, with diminishing skills. Stars are fighting for a spot at the moment, and could use somthing in return, and not just picks or prospects. Kennedy or Jeffery plus a pick may work out for us, but I don't think that's what the Stars are looking for.

Playing the GM thing, unless this is a three team deal, with something coming to Dallas that will help them in the stretch run, don't think it happens.

@Polaris922 I don't know if I woulda done this deal as GM of the Pens. Brendan Morrow was deemed one of Canada's best 20 players back just 2 years ago, while that is nohting to sneeze at, his offense, and dare I say skating has regressed since that tourny. He's on the downward slope no doubt....just because you have a whole slew of d-prospects does not mean you throw them away like a candy wrapper. He is famous for being gritty, who knows, maybe I'm dead wrong and this is your "Butch Goring" addition...stranger things have happened. Interested to see what line he gets placed on.

Edited by jammer2

@Polaris922 Yeah, the ol phrase comes to mind, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Your team just got slower and somebody is gonna probably get demoted to a different line so Morrow makes Shero look like a genius.....it just smells bad for you guys, but I could be wrong, could swing either way.

Just saw the Rob Rossi interview pre-game. He confirmed Morrow will play with Malkin and Neal. He said the primary reason for getting Morrow was to spark that line even strength. Makes sense as most of their points have come on the PP. From that perspective, I like the move a little more. Also said the Pens are still looking for a 4th line center (there ya go, Glass-haters).

If the Pens are making a run right now, Morrow fixes the third line, it is a great deal in that respect. I can see him as the missing piece for a cup. The other Morrow, Joe going back to the Stars is going to be a top four blueliner for a decade with size, this is a deal that if the Pens win a cup it is worth it, otherwise they will regret it for a long time.

Now here is my question, by picking up Morrow does that mean the Pens are out of the Iginla sweepstakes?

So I'm guessing that Brenden Morrow had this kind of conversation with Joe Nieuwendyk:

"Hey Joe, coach said you wanted to see me, what's up?"

"Well Brenden, we decided to make a change in the organization, and we'd like you to waive your NTC for so we can make our team better for the future"

"But Joe, I've played every game in the NHL for the Stars, I know that we're struggling at the moment, and maybe won't even make the playoffs, but I'm a Dallas Star through and through"

" I know Brenden, and we appreciate everything that you've done for the organization, and hope that you can find it in your heart to help us out one last time."

"I don't know Joe, I put in the NTC for a reason, I really love it here".

"I understand Brenden, but think of it this way, Pittsburgh is alot colder than Dallas, and I hear that players that move to Pittsburgh really love it there."

"Sure Joe, but my family really likes it here and . . . Wait, did you say Pittsburgh?"

"Yeah Brenden, I talked to Ray Shero, and he thinks Dan Bylsma will slot you in with either Crosby or Malkin to start out."

<Silence>

"Ah, Brenden, is everything okay?"

"Oh Oh, sorry Joe, yeah everythings great, I was day dreaming. Hey yeah yeah, NTC waived, no problem, anything for the team. Hey could you do me a favor, I didn't bring alot of cash to practice today, could you spot me $50? I need it for a taxi to the airport. And could you tell my wife I'll call here later."

In his mind, "Damn I wonder if I can make it by Game time??"

"Good luck and all that stuff Joe, been great, talk to you later"

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 2

The more I think about this trade the more I like it. Joe Morrow showed promise, and I think he will become a steady top four d-man. All credit to that thought... That's a few years away.

The Pens have a LOT of young defenseman prospects that will be coming of age close together.

The second line is dominant in many ways. But as a line they have no net presence. Neal is built like a power forward, but he's a pure shooter. He doesn't get the dirty goals and doesn't get many rebounds.

Brendan Morrow is a spirit on the ice. He's got drive and heart, and goes to those dirty places. He thrives there. He'll be a problem for defensemen as they'll have to collapse to deal with him. That means space for Malkin. And he'll lay a guy out just as readily with physical play.

Good luck Joe Morrow. Welcome Bendan Morrow!

The more I think about this trade the more I like it. Joe Morrow showed promise, and I think he will become a steady top four d-man. All credit to that thought... That's a few years away.

The Pens have a LOT of young defenseman prospects that will be coming of age close together.

The second line is dominant in many ways. But as a line they have no net presence. Neal is built like a power forward, but he's a pure shooter. He doesn't get the dirty goals and doesn't get many rebounds.

Brendan Morrow is a spirit on the ice. He's got drive and heart, and goes to those dirty places. He thrives there. He'll be a problem for defensemen as they'll have to collapse to deal with him. That means space for Malkin. And he'll lay a guy out just as readily with physical play.

Good luck Joe Morrow. Welcome Bendan Morrow!

Can't say I've seen to many Stars games to make a definitive conclusion, but I'm watching some of his work on NHL Tonight. This could be a plus, brings alot of grit, hard hitting, and another net front presence.

• Like 1

Interesting. Apparently Boston was in on Morrow, too. Final destination was his call and he waived his NTC to come to Pittsburgh.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21939810/nhl-rumors-trade-in-place-to-send-brenden-morrow-to-penguins

Interesting... Makes me believe there is more to this than a rental...