Good game 9 min to go.When do

pensuck

While letter of the law, I still do not like that hook call. If it doesn't impede the player, they really should let it go. At least I didn't see a chicken wing for once.

Remember the good old days when you actually had to commit an honest-to-goodness penalty while already down a man to go down 2? What a joke this league has become.

That was but good timing right?

I also saw about 3 take downs by the pens that were no calls either. While were being honest...

It's mostly going both ways. I like the overall consistency. Simmonds had to be called. Very easy.

Remember the good old days when you actually had to commit an honest-to-goodness penalty while already down a man to go down 2? What a joke this league has become.

That's back in the early 2000s. I don't think being down a man should make you invulnerable, but I do think the refs in general should call clear penalties across the board. None of the weak stuff they are prone to calling. Except diving, which needs to be called more (again).

I didn't even watch the game but I looked at my phone and saw the Penguins scored and said I'll bet anything that came off a power play.

It always seems to happen that way. The Not Honest League continues.

ha ha...I like that....the Not honest leauge....ain't that the truth, where the stars get breaks, and borderline calls on some guys never get called, which gives them no history, which makes them perfect canditates for re-offending. Beautiful.

• Like 1

It was a good game up to the Simmonds penalty then lights out. This Flyers team will not win with the stupid penalties and the turnovers right past our own blue line. They did not do that last night and had a chance to win the game, just like the win against the Rangers earlier in the season, If they play smart, they can win..

Timonen's stick was in Kunitz's armpit pulling him while he's trying to get a shot off on a partial breakaway... They kind of HAD to call that one.

I think that was the only call they got right. The other calls were horse sh1t including the slash on Simmonds. The stick didn't break, he only had one hand on it.

I think that was the only call they got right. The other calls were horse sh1t including the slash on Simmonds. The stick didn't break, he only had one hand on it.

When you slash a stick and knock it out of an opponent's hand, it's a slash. I thought they let an awful lot go throughout the game, but the slash they called on Martin made it clear they were reigning it in. Simmonds made a stupid play. All he had to do was try lifting the stick instead of chopping down on it the way he did.

• Like 2

When you slash a stick and knock it out of an opponent's hand, it's a slash. I thought they let an awful lot go throughout the game, but the slash they called on Martin made it clear they were reigning it in. Simmonds made a stupid play. All he had to do was try lifting the stick instead of chopping down on it the way he did.

Wasn't a fan of the call because a limp wristed pen was unable to hold on to his stick but it still was a penalty. As was the hook by Timmo. My problem is they let the calls go when Schenn is pulled down from behind when he was behind the net and let several interference penalties go uncalled too. The phantom elbowing call on Fedotenko was beyond weak. Once again, a game is altered due to referees trying to "control" the game. Overall it was one of the best performances by the Flyers even with Foster and Gervais on the ice. Dumb penalties in the end ultimately is what cost the Flyers this game. They should have known that ANY infraction was going to be called with the Pens trailing and under 10 minutes to go.......

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Yes, completely unnecessary penalty by Simmonds, even if it was a marginal call. Timmonen has been called for "lazy" penalties all year; he's just slowing down and not getting away with it.

I thought Crosby should have been called for embellishing when he threw his stick on the ice and looked at the ref like it had been slashed out... it hadn't, not even almost close. I thought he was all grown up now and done with that chicken shtt?

When you slash a stick and knock it out of an opponent's hand, it's a slash.

We're going to have to disagree on this. Rarely is a penalty called when a player only has one hand on his stick and it gets knocked out of his hand. In fact, I think that's the 1st time I've seen that call this year.

We're going to have to disagree on this. Rarely is a penalty called when a player only has one hand on his stick and it gets knocked out of his hand. In fact, I think that's the 1st time I've seen that call this year.

Orpik had two hands on the stick. As soon as Simmonds knocked it out, he raised them both as if to say "WTF"? On the play, Orpik was the last man between Simmonds and Fleury. Anyone who thinks any defensemen is going to let his stick go on purpose in that situation in hopes that he gets a call is nuts. Questioning that call is pure Pens hating. Dumb play by Simmonds. Equally dumb play on the hook by Timmonen a few seconds later. Almost as dumb as he a....Schenn was it?...letting Rocket Kunitz of all people split them like a French whore.

And they missed a Giroux slash on Crosby, too. Early in the first. Errey mentioned it...Crosby got away with a trip on Giroux and then Giroux got away with the slash maybe 30 to 45 seconds later.

And Ted, I really don't recall any play remotely close to what you are describing. Got a clip?

I

Edited by B21
  • Like 1

@TedZep

Speaking of missed calls...not even a penalty when Coburn boarded Dupuis?

Now a similar hit made by (what a coincidence) a Penguin...

Let's see. Illegal? Both. No sudden change in direction at the last minute? Both. Contact minimized? Neither. History? Letang had a fine. Nothing for Coburn.

Letang got 2:00 plus 2 games. Coburn didn't even get a penalty.

If I look up "boarding" and "suspended" on YouTube I get 900,000 (OK not that many but a lot) similar boarding hits that resulted in suspensions.

And here you almost had me believing that it was the Pens who only got away with that sh--.

It sucks for us Flyers fans, but BOTH of those calls had to be made. If the shoe were on the other foot & we didn't get those calls, we would have been going absolutely ballistic.

There was a pretty blatant crosscheck right in front of everyone not long after that which would have put the Flyers on the power play. No call. That was lame. No way they didn't see it either.

• Like 1

It sucks for us Flyers fans, but BOTH of those calls had to be made. If the shoe were on the other foot & we didn't get those calls, we would have been going absolutely ballistic.

There was a pretty blatant crosscheck right in front of everyone not long after that which would have put the Flyers on the power play. No call. That was lame. No way they didn't see it either.

They really let a LOT of crap go away from the puck. If it was at the puck they called it... I.e. Martin, Simmonds, Timonen... But other than the Fedotenko call it seemed to be open season anywhere else.

Wasn't a fan of the call because a limp wristed pen was unable to hold on to his stick but it still was a penalty. As was the hook by Timmo. My problem is they let the calls go when Schenn is pulled down from behind when he was behind the net and let several interference penalties go uncalled too. The phantom elbowing call on Fedotenko was beyond weak. Once again, a game is altered due to referees trying to "control" the game. Overall it was one of the best performances by the Flyers even with Foster and Gervais on the ice. Dumb penalties in the end ultimately is what cost the Flyers this game. They should have known that ANY infraction was going to be called with the Pens trailing and under 10 minutes to go.......

There goes your conspiracy theory again ;) They let the Flyers get away with as many if not more penalties as they did the Pens. At the game, there were countless hooks and holds, interference and outright tackles of Pens players that were away from the puck as any Flyers players. The game was fiesty and out of control with the sticks and bodies going down on the ice. Every game we've played this year the officiating has been one sided in the Flyers favor... and this was the first one that both teams seemed to get away with murder, as long as it was away from the puck.

As for the Orpik call... anytime a stick gets hit like that and bounces off the ice back up to almost hit the players in the faces, that was a monster slash... so there was no limp wristing to it. If it hadn't been right in front of the net where an imminent breakaway would occur they might have even let that go the way they were calling it. But since it was right at the puck and could result in a breakaway for Simmonds they called it.. and it was unquestionably the right call. If bonehead Simmonds had just lifted the stick instead of tomahawking it... no call at all. He made himself look like an idiot complaining after that kind of chop.

@Polaris922

Yes, completely unnecessary penalty by Simmonds, even if it was a marginal call. Timmonen has been called for "lazy" penalties all year; he's just slowing down and not getting away with it.

I thought Crosby should have been called for embellishing when he threw his stick on the ice and looked at the ref like it had been slashed out... it hadn't, not even almost close. I thought he was all grown up now and done with that chicken shtt?

Crosby threw his stick on the ice?? I dunno man... I was sitting there and don't remember seeing anything like that. I saw him get hooked in the hands heading into the corner, then slashed across the gloves and losing his stick at one point... is that what you're referring to? Passing the net into the corner? I think it was Schenn that hacked him, but he didn't have the puck so nothing was called.