Does Morrow Trade Make Briere More Tradeable?

pensuck

@ Alaska

They built their team from drafting in the top five 5 years straight. Yes they drafted well thanks to a Shero, but they can manage in house players much better without needing big time f/a's. We consistently draft in the middle or bottom of the first round and have an impatient owner. Therefore we need to get f/a's to come here or make trades for draft picks.The Nmc/NFC are stupid but I think that's how the get players to sign long term. I don't necessarily agree with it but that's the way I see it.

@pensuck

The team was built by them "winning" the Crosby lottery and by drafting 2nd when Malkin fell into their lap. Take those 2 players away and they could be sitting 6th or 7th in the east, or taking yet another shot at a top 5 pick.

If we'd draft and develop players instead of signing players after their best season, we could pay less too. Look what Giroux makes. He makes half of what Briere does. THAT is insane.

@ flyercanuck

I agree 100%.

Getting Fleury with that #1 wasn't bad either. He's a big reason they won the cup a couple years ago.

Now Tim Pinnachio in Philly is writing that we're looking at Brian Campbell. Wtf? 6.5 million cap hit next year? That's just silly.

Fleury played well in that cup run. But considering he was the 1st overall pick in probably the greatest draft ever, he wasn't a great pick.

Pinachio wrote it? My shoe knows more about the Flyers.

Right. But they needed a goaltender and drafted a.... wait for it... goaltender.

We need defensemen and goaltenders, yet keep drafting centers.

• Like 1

Now Tim Pinnachio in Philly is writing that we're looking at Brian Campbell. Wtf? 6.5 million cap hit next year? That's just silly.

That makes no sense, unless Briere is moved for him. ANd what would Florida want with Briere??? He'd never waive his NMC to go to that hockey sinkhole.

Campbell is 33 and has another 3 years on his $7.1M contract. No thanks!

@brelic

I don't know that the Morrow thing makes Briere more valuable in terms of what we get in return, but it may make the idea of him more attractive to teams who think they need to keep pace with Pittsburgh (Boston? Montreal?). In terms of production, Morrow and Briere seem to be a toss up. Where I give Morrow the edge in terms of grit, if the playoff Briere shows up then it's either even or edge to Briere.

I think Briere is a piece you either have to move at the deadline or amnesty in the offseason. I'd really rather they try to get something for him, though, so I'm hopping it's the deadline thing.

----

I am really hoping that Panaccio is just throwing crap out there to get people to read him. Because the Campbell, Boyle, JBo talk is just ludicrous. If the Flyers really are involved in these talks, they are criminally delusional.

@brelic

I don't know that the Morrow thing makes Briere more valuable in terms of what we get in return, but it may make the idea of him more attractive to teams who think they need to keep pace with Pittsburgh (Boston? Montreal?). In terms of production, Morrow and Briere seem to be a toss up. Where I give Morrow the edge in terms of grit, if the playoff Briere shows up then it's either even or edge to Briere.

I think Briere is a piece you either have to move at the deadline or amnesty in the offseason. I'd really rather they try to get something for him, though, so I'm hopping it's the deadline thing.

----

I am really hoping that Panaccio is just throwing crap out there to get people to read him. Because the Campbell, Boyle, JBo talk is just ludicrous. If the Flyers really are involved in these talks, they are criminally delusional.

I agree with you. I think the fact that the Pens have upped their grit with Morrow makes other teams a little more desperate to do the same. Briere doesn't add grit, as you say, but he does come with a proven playoff track record. So in that sense, I don't think his poor regular season really affects his value that much.

In the east, I think Boston and Montreal are the likely candidates, and he'd be kind of crazy to not waive. THat's the best chance he'll ever get for a Cup... unfortunately, it won't be with Philly. We came close one year, but it won't happen again while he's here.

In the West, it might be a little harder to convince him to waive because of the distance. At least Boston and Montreal are close to Philly, and Montreal is his hometown. The exception out West might be LA. But could you imagine helping out LA again, and seeing them win another Cup? On the one hand, I would be perfectly happy with any team that prevents Pittsburgh from winning... but that might send too many of us into a depression!

From Montreal, I'd take Diaz, though not sure they're keen on moving a roster player. For prospects, if there's any chance you can get Beaulieu or Tokarski, you do it. It will cost you a little more, but worth it in the end.

From Boston... what do you think of Subban? I've never seen him play, but he is rated quite highly. There are question marks around his technique, apparently, but he's not as 'boisterous' as his big brother.

@pensuck

I think you're right that Boston goes for Iginla, leaving Briere for Montreal. You might be able to consider a team that is on the bubble and thinks Briere would help get them in, but given his play in the regular season I think that would be foolishness on the part of whomever is trading for him.

And yeah, the irony of Briere to Montreal is kind of entertaining.

I think Boston goes hard for iginla. He'd fit right in there. That leaves The Habs for Danny. That would be kind of ironic seeing that he picked us over them in free agency.

I think Iginla goes to the Kings (and his old coach).

• Like 1

Briere has young kids in school and likes the area, but if the Flyers make it clear they will buy him out in the summer anyway, I'm sure (hoping) that he waives his NMC. Maybe not to Montreal, considering how much they boo him whenever he plays there anymore.

@TedZep

as someone stated in a different thread regarding 48 , it didn't stop him from going to play hockey in das fatherlund....

make it clear he's not in the plans and he'll waive, just be classy about it and don't send him to some backwater, his nmc prevents that, but you know what i'm getting at.

the kids in school argument only works to the point that he went to a different continent to play hockey this year, i think the kids will be okay.

• Like 1

@TedZep

as someone stated in a different thread regarding 48 , it didn't stop him from going to play hockey in das fatherlund....

make it clear he's not in the plans and he'll waive, just be classy about it and don't send him to some backwater, his nmc prevents that, but you know what i'm getting at.

the kids in school argument only works to the point that he went to a different continent to play hockey this year, i think the kids will be okay.

@mojo1917,

I understand what you're saying but the lockout and him going to "play hockey in das fatherlund" was only temporary. A trade is permanent.

• Like 1

@mojo1917,

I understand what you're saying but the lockout and him going to "play hockey in das fatherlund" was only temporary. A trade is permanent.

Tempory or permanent at the end of season it looks like 48 is outta here anyway. Hes never won a cup and is at the end of his career,you would think he would welcome a trade to a contender.