"The Best Player in the World"

trevluk

Ok, so Giroux isnt the best player in the world, I think we all know that. Never has been and probably never will be. He is a great player who just can't seem to find his game this year from what I have seen. I am beginning to think Lavy may have unintentionally done some real damage to G's head when he labeled him as the best player in the world in his post game remarks after game 7 of round one last year. He just hasnt been the same player since. He wasnt the same player in the NJ series and then he had the added pressure of the "C" thrown on this chest this year so now all of a sudden you have double whammy of being a young captain and being called out as the best player in the world by your coach. He just hasnt seemed the same since those words were uttered. The thing is we dont need him to be the best player in the world to be a great captain. Joe Sakic wasnt the best player in the world, Steve Yzerman wasnt the best player in the world, heck, Bob Clarke wasnt even close to the best player in the world but they were all great captains. If Giroux can get out of his head, find his heart, and play his game the way he did last year, I truly think he has the stuff of a great leader and captain for this team.

• Like 1

Considering how bad this team has been, Giroux hasn't been that bad. No he hasn't been in the "best player in the world" ballpark. And as long as he's healthy, like it or not, that'll be Crosbys world. Giroux lost his left winger and played most of the season (ok all of it) without the rightwinger he had last year. He sure hasn't seemed to hurt Voraceks game. He's average almost a ppg. And he's done all this wearing the cursed "C".

Can somebody get a priest in to exorcise that thing once and for all?

He sure hasn't seemed to hurt Voraceks game. He's average almost a ppg.

Giroux has been involved in 5 of Voracek's 13 goals and only 8 of Voracek's 19 assists have come on Giroux goals or goals Giroux also assisted on.

So, Giroux has had a direct impact on less than half of Voracek's points.

True story.

Giroux has inflated his numbers in blowout games against inferior opponents and hasn't been a big factor in games against important opponents (potentially excepting the Pens).

He doesn't need excuses. He needs to play better.

Voracek has been the offensive leader this season. Not Giroux.

Giroux has also been very average 5v5. He has as many points as B. Schenn and M. Read (Read with fewer games). Voracek has 17 even strength to lead and Giroux has 12 points.

That equates to .388 pts per game even strength vs .688 pts per game even strength last year.

Overall, this team's problem is 5v5 and Giroux's production is a major reason why.

@radoran

Yes rad. Giroux is not having a great year. I already have said that. He's having a better year than almost anybody else on the team though. It's not as good as it could be. But it's a heck of a lot better than the zilch that Danny Briere is bringing to the table. And at double the cost. Giroux is the TENTH highest paid Flyer. He's only a few bucks out of 12th. I'll take what he brings at his price all day long.

@radoran

Yes rad. Giroux is not having a great year. I already have said that. He's having a better year than almost anybody else on the team though. It's not as good as it could be. But it's a heck of a lot better than the zilch that Danny Briere is bringing to the table. And at double the cost. Giroux is the TENTH highest paid Flyer. He's only a few bucks out of 12th. I'll take what he brings at his price all day long.

Giroux has also never been a UFA. His pay is a result of his age - nothing else. The Flyers will back up the Brinks truck for him after next season.

This isn't about making excuses for Giroux - "he's made Voracek better by being involved in less than half of his points" "he's playing better than someone who's name wasn't even in the thread before" "he's doing fine, considering the Flyers made him captain after he had never been captain before" "he's not making as much money as people who were able to negotiate their contracts in an open market" "Crosby's obviously better than him, so what his coach said shouldn't matter".

This is about Giroux being Giroux and playing like Giroux.

Enough with the excuses. Giroux needs to play better. No matter what he's being paid. No matter who he is playing with. No matter who he is playing against. No matter who else is on the team.

Giroux has been involved in 5 of Voracek's 13 goals and only 8 of Voracek's 19 assists have come on Giroux goals or goals Giroux also assisted on.

True story.

Giroux has inflated his numbers in blowout games against inferior opponents and hasn't been a big factor in games against important opponents (potentially excepting the Pens).

I wonder if he needs to be directly involved in Voracek's goals. If he was on the ice and took someone's attention from Voracek and therefore created Voracek space and/or time, then Giroux indirectly affected Voracek. There's no doubt Voracek has had a break out year largely due to playing on Voracek's line.

It may not be the same as the schloff from U of Vt benefiting from Lindros, but it's similar.

People, @trevluk @radoran should lighten the hell up about Giroux.

He's not been the best player in the world this year. Someone else said this as long as Crosby is healthy that's his title. But G has been good he has led on the ice with effort and hustle even when he's not scoring, his line usually controls the play when they're on the ice, he's adjusted to new left wingers all season, Voracek has benefited from G's play directly or indirectly , his numbers would be off the charts if he was still with #48, no?

Honestly what were people's expectations for this team?

I mean really ?

Lose Carle and Jagr replace them with, Fedotenko and Gervais, lose Hartnell to injury replace him with

Mike two minutes for hooking Knuble, lose Mezaros and replace him with Kurtis stinking Foster? This season had transition written all over it, there isn't one player on this planet that can make up for this team's deficiencies.

So Laviolette was caught up in the moment when his guy put Sid on his wallet and scored a goal with a broken / f'd up wrist.

Giroux will adjust to the focus he receives from the opponent's top pairing D and checking line, he has his whole life, this is an adjustment period for him, based on his past I like his chances for being a top 3 in the league again soon, I already feel like I see him improving on face offs , looking for his shot more, figuring out how to play with 93 better.

Claude has right disposition to grow from this year.

• Like 4

I wonder if he needs to be directly involved in Voracek's goals. If he was on the ice and took someone's attention from Voracek and therefore created Voracek space and/or time, then Giroux indirectly affected Voracek. There's no doubt Voracek has had a break out year largely due to playing on Voracek's line.

It may not be the same as the schloff from U of Vt benefiting from Lindros, but it's similar.

Voracek has had a great time on Voracek's line. And he has certainly benefitted from playing with Giroux (and vide versa). But he hasn't been on Giroux's line all season. In fact, it hasn't even been MOST of the season.

That's a solid fact.

And - I need to get the actual number - a sizeable percentage of Giroux/Voracek related goals have been on the power play where "creating room" isn't usually a problem.

In fact, it hasn't even been MOST of the season.

That's a solid fact.

Is it? You've probably paid more attention than I have so I'm not arguing the point. Just thought he was there most of the season.

People, @trevluk @radoran should lighten the hell up about Giroux.

Oh, boo hoo. If Claude Giroux needs people to "lighten the hell up" about him, he's in deep ****.

He doesn't. He needs to play better. Period. End of sentence.

Claude has right disposition to grow from this year.

And the point is he needs to do so.

Period. End of sentence.

True story.

Just going OT for a moment to give you your props. You killed Crosby (rightfully so) for his actions and play in the series against the Flyers last year...unbecoming of a captain, a player who is the face of the game, et al. It's nice to see the same thought process applied to your own captain. That kind of consistency is refreshing to see as blasphemous as it may seem to some of your fellow fans.

Maybe now those who killed Crosby for his actions when he broke into the league as an 18 year old captain get to really see the weight of the responsibility considering the impact it is having on a guy who named captain at age 24.

• Like 2

Is it? You've probably paid more attention than I have so I'm not arguing the point. Just thought he was there most of the season.

At this point, it may actually be close to half the season.

And I find it interesting that "Giroux" is "making Voracek better" (Voracek only being a seventh overall pick) while "Voracek" is apparently just lucky to be getting the scraps from Giroux.

They both make each other better. It's how hockey works. Voracek clearly benefits from playing with Giroux. And Giroux clearly benefits from playwith with Voracek.

Giroux doesn't need excuses he just needs to play better and more consistently and we all seem to believe that he needs to play better but some are upset that everyone isn't simply genuflecting and crossing themselves at the altar of Claude.

• Like 1

Now I respect Giroux's talent. But I have read a LOT of Flyers fans' threads here so I have to ask...

Is there any chance that everyone's career year last year pertains to Giroux as well? That Jagr's play is what really elevated Giroux to such high levels? That he won't be producing like that again most likely and will stay roughly a point per game guy? (Not that that's a bad thing just lower than your expectations?

Just going OT for a moment to give you your props. You killed Crosby (rightfully so) for his actions and play in the series against the Flyers last year...unbecoming of a captain, a player who is the face of the game, et al. It's nice to see the same thought process applied to your own captain. That kind of consistency is refreshing to see as blasphemous as it may seem to some of your fellow fans.

Maybe now those who killed Crosby for his actions when he broke into the league as an 18 year old captain get to really see the weight of the responsibility considering the impact it is having on a guy who named captain at age 24.

I try not to come across as a Flyer Stepford. That said, my glasses are orange and black and my orange and black kitchen has 1-2-4-7-16 in the rafters.

The Flyers have made stupid decisions about their captain since... they stripped Poulin in 1989.

• Like 3

At this point, it may actually be close to half the season.

And I find it interesting that "Giroux" is "making Voracek better" (Voracek only being a seventh overall pick) while "Voracek" is apparently just lucky to be getting the scraps from Giroux.

They both make each other better. It's how hockey works. Voracek clearly benefits from playing with Giroux. And Giroux clearly benefits from playwith with Voracek.

Giroux doesn't need excuses he just needs to play better and more consistently and we all seem to believe that he needs to play better but some are upset that everyone isn't simply genuflecting and crossing themselves at the altar of Claude.

I buy all that. I'll get back to you with more excuses as they occur to me.

Now I respect Giroux's talent. But I have read a LOT of Flyers fans' threads here so I have to ask...

Is there any chance that everyone's career year last year pertains to Giroux as well? That Jagr's play is what really elevated Giroux to such high levels? That he won't be producing like that again most likely and will stay roughly a point per game guy? (Not that that's a bad thing just lower than your expectations?

He'll stay at a PPG guy. I'm happy with that so long as he continues to excel at faceoffs and does the other little stuff. And as long as some other people wake the hell up.

Not sure why people are hammering Giroux..yea, he's the captain, yea he's played bad..so has the whole EFFING TEAM, for the most part.

When most "experts", figured this team would challenge to be a Top 4-6 in the conference, and they are a mouse fart away from LAST in the conference, there is a hell of a lot more wrong, than just the play of one player, in this case, Giroux.

For example, I didn't see Giroux let Kunitz waltz between him and his D partner, untouched, leading to a 5-3 and the first Pens goal...pretty sure that was on 2 of their under performing defenseman.

I'm not giving Giroux a pass, but there are many others on this team equally has bad as him.

When most "experts", figured this team would challenge to be a Top 4-6 in the conference

I was (and still am) honestly trying to figure out what that was based on. I mean, seriously.

I know some players have had bad year which has made the results even worse than they had to be, but this was not going to be a contending team on any planet or dimension.

I'm not giving Giroux a pass, but there are many others on this team equally has bad as him.

If I've given anyone on this sorry squad a pass, feel free to let me know.

I'll start off: Voracek and Simmonds have been playing like they care about this season. OK, that's about it.

Giroux is wearing the C. It makes him a bigger focus of attention. And I don't mean in the photo booth at the Carnival.

I'm not at all saying he can't do better, I'm saying I want him to do better.

If someone feels Giroux has been tiktiboo all season and they're perfectly happy with his play this season, good for them.

I don't.

I was (and still am) honestly trying to figure out what that was based on. I mean, seriously.

I know some players have had bad year which has made the results even worse than they had to be, but this was not going to be a contending team on any planet or dimension.

I don't disagree--they weren't contending for a Cup this year. But my point was, they were picked to finish in top half of the conference by most people. And they are 4 points from last place right now!!! Heck, most reasonable people on this board thought they would at least make the playoffs. They flat out suck most nights..and that's on a lot more people, than just Giroux.

• Like 1