Another Reason I Dislike Briere

CoachX

I guess it never really occured to me, although it is obvious, and therefore shuldn't be surprising that I didn't get it, but Briere can just walk away and go wherever he wants if he is bought out.

So, to recap, some say he has a NMC and wants to stay in Philly for family. Others (ME) say he should waive and let the team get retunr for him in a trade. But now, it seems to make sense for him top just stay pat, coast through this shortened season, get bought out and move on. Well there is a great big schidt-burger he could be serving up to the franchise.

If this happens, and he is well within his rights to do it, I wondering how all your Briere lovers will react

@CoachX

Coach, this may come as a shocker, but maybe nobody wants this guy. I mean seriously why one earth would a team want his contract for an injury laden player, who has been playing like hammered sh!t as of late?

I would love to see a trade involving anything at this point, but from where I am standing, Jody Freakin Shelley has more worth to a playoff bound team than Danny B.

Sad to see it end like this, but I think he is bought out and retires. He made his money, still is young, and has a lot of life to focus on after hockey.

Tough to fault Briere for a contract signed by both him and the Flyers. We have been discussing in other threads for some time the fact that the FLYERS gave him the NMC/NTC. The last CBA is as responsible for ending Briere's career as a Flyer as anything else. The Flyers have to shed salary, hence,ergo,therefore,three little dots in a triangle, his 6.5 mil hit has got to go regardless of how well he could be playing though he isn't.......

I still don't understand why @CoachX has such a man-crush on Briere. :ph34r:

Seriously, dude, stop playing with the straw men - "Briere lovers." You might have allergies.

Danny Briere didn't force the Flyers to give him an eight-year, NMC deal. They did that all by themselves because, six years ago, they needed a "#1 C" for the next season.

Sort of like how two years ago they "needed" a "#1 G" for the next season, so they signed one to a six-year, NMC deal.

Or they "needed" a tough vet defenseman to be captain, so they gave a 35-year-old a seven-year, NMC deal.

Or they "had to" sign their "captain of the future" to a 12-year deal with an NMC and his "future of the franchise" co-cornerstone to an 11-year deal (with NTC) - that they neatly avoided by dealing them before they were active.

Of course, now that he has a concussion, the Briere question is pretty much moot.

The questions of who the next player is that the Flyers will "need" next season, how long a deal they give him and how iron-clad the NMC is remain.

"Don't hate the player." Hate the games the organization plays.

• Like 2

@radoran

You forgot Lupul and JVR who gave us a total of 2 months of good hockey and were then signed to multi-year deals and dealt.

Did I? :)

At least neither of them had active NMC/NTC deals (IIRC). And they were't really brought in to fix an imminent "need" at the time.

Is there anyone not concussion or injury prone on this team. Every time I turn around there is another player hurt. Starting to look like a M*A*S*H unit. Calling Dr's "Hawkeye" Pierce and "Trapper John" McIntyre....... Oh where is Radar when you need him. He could trade for anything and get anything.........

Do you think that Briere might just up and call it quits? Its not his first dance with a concussion, and at 35, you gotta start to think about the rest of your life. If he were to retire, that I think would let the Flyers off the hook with his salary cap hit, does it not?

Do you think that Briere might just up and call it quits? Its not his first dance with a concussion, and at 35, you gotta start to think about the rest of your life. If he were to retire, that I think would let the Flyers off the hook with his salary cap hit, does it not?

It would, he is NOT an over 35 contract.

I still don't understand why @CoachX has such a man-crush on Briere.

Seriously, dude, stop playing with the straw men - "Briere lovers." You might have allergies.

Danny Briere didn't force the Flyers to give him an eight-year, NMC deal. They did that all by themselves because, six years ago, they needed a "#1 C" for the next season.

Its really not up to you to "understand" anything. I am entitled to my opinion and post according to it. I could very easily say the same thing to you, "I don't understand why you keep ignoring a self explanatroy post, and keep changing it back to your individual arguement". We had that discussion already. Let it go.

I GET IT! The Flyers gave Briere a NMC. They signed it! Its thier fault! He retains the right to veto! BLAH-BLAH-BLAH

Let's move on ...

My point is that the Flyers have treated him right. They gave him the clause. They signed him to what you and others identify as a ridiculous deal. I have not seen a single shred of evidence to suggest that they have done a single thing disrespectful or hurtful to him. From a fan perspective, it makes sense that if the franchise asked him to waive, to help the team, and give him a chance to compete for the prize, that he would do so. AGAIN, I KNOW HE DOESN'T HAVE TO! But, if he is saying no, for whatever reason, then gets bought out and signs wherever he wants, then I think he is a complete jackass. That is the nature of sports being a business. For me though, I think the business side of it makes athletes self centered a-holes and I choose to have no respect for players like that.

I think back to a guy like Jeremy Roenick. I loved that guy and hated to see him go. But, he understood what the organization was doing and handled it with grace and class. I will always be a fan of a guy like that.