Briere out Indefinitely with Concussion

radoran

@radoran

We were never going to move him anyway I guess. I guess we're buying him out next season.

I think they would have taken a shot at it now that the season is circling the drain, but this looks like it pretty much forks it.

About $3.4M to buy him out. I gotta think they will look at this in this context for after this season and free up some room (I always expected him to get bought out after end of next season anyway).

Damnit. Briere is completely useless to the Flyers. Now he has absolutely no value as a trade piece. I can't say how much I hate that SOB. Probably didn't get his concussion in practice. Probably got it bobbing up and down at the public bath house.

He was hurting the team with his "floating" on the ice, now he is hurting the team by being damaged goods, right before the trade deadline. I was hoping we would be able to move him for a 1st or 2nd round pick but now we'll get nothing.

A concussion in practice, as if!

I think they would have taken a shot at it now that the season is circling the drain, but this looks like it pretty much forks it.

About $3.4M to buy him out. I gotta think they will look at this in this context for after this season and free up some room (I always expected him to get bought out after end of next season anyway).

They could still move him to get something back and free up some cap space. They have until April 12. If he comes back after the concussion he could still have some value. He is valuable to anyone with a ticket to the postseason.

They could still move him to get something back and free up some cap space. They have until April 12. If he comes back after the concussion he could still have some value. He is valuable to anyone with a ticket to the postseason.

Anything is possible.

But this isn't his first head dinger and anyone picking him up either has a two-year, $13M cap hit or is spending $3.4M to buy him out themselves.

He's not the "rental" player many teams want (about to be UFA).

@radoran

But his cap dollars are high and his actual dollars aren't so a team with space in a smaller market might be willing to move a pick for a playoff run. Again, I don't know who that would be.

True, but is that a team Briere waives to go to?

A lot of sand in this ointment.

Might be a perfect fit in Montreal.

• Like 1

I used to be a big briere supporter, still am in a way. He has always seemed to put up some decent numbers for the Flyers and played in the "dirty areas" for us behind the net and his playoff performances can not be questioned......but ya got to remember. It's not Briere's fault our organization give out 5-10 year 5+mil a season contratcs with a NMCs like they're haloween candy!!!

But that being said.....there was never a better time to trade him then last week......whats that saying about hindsight??

Just came across the @NHLFlyers Twitter feed.

Concussed during practice?

Well, what does this do to his trade value?

It is actually quite common in philly..........it's called JVRS.....It results in you being unable to be traded until after the season ends......

James VanReimsdyk Syndrome

• Like 1

With both Briere and Grossmann out of the lineup after a week off, I had a feeling a case of the Seth Jones Flu could have been released into the locker room by management. But apparently...

"(Briere) was injured during Saturday's practice in Voorhees, crashing into the boards during a drill."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Briere-has-concussion.html