rushing young players hurt the flyers

Guest toughfighter83

the main problem with this team is that they rushed these young players to be superstars this year by putting them in the wrong positions, this is where the coach should be criticized for this, the main reason why these young players were good last year because they werent being pushed, they were on the 3rd and 4th lines were they produced more and not getting alot of pressure, this is where homer should have gotten a first line winger like semin, jagr whatever to keep the pressure off the young players, since they are pushing pressure on them they cant produce.

thoughts?

I don't think the players are being rushed; I just think some fans' expectations are not realistic.

Couturier is learning much more here - including how to deal with a prolonged slump and adversity - than he would back in the Q last year or the AHL this year. It's a good thing to have the Schenns, Couturier, Read, Simmonds, and co deal with a losing squad, up and down production, hovering near the cellar. It will be a binding force in years to come, if Homer can resist blowing up the squad like he usually does.

couturier was better on the fourth line and schenn on the third line. even they get rid of courts for a good player than they can bring up scott laughton on the fourth line, it's not the end of the world if we lose couturier. this team needs a defender and top winger, you cant ignore those needs, they have to sacirfice something to make this team better, otherwise what direction is this team going?

couturier was better on the fourth line and schenn on the third line. even they get rid of courts for a good player than they can bring up scott laughton on the fourth line, it's not the end of the world if we lose couturier. this team needs a defender and top winger, you cant ignore those needs, they have to sacirfice something to make this team better, otherwise what direction is this team going?

I agree that you have to give up quality to get quality. I think Coots can become an excellent player in the league, and so do many others, which is why he would have a nice trade value. He could end up being a Michal Handzus type, which would definitely be nice, but definitely below what people project he can be. Or he could become a Mike Richards, 1st/2nd line center with strong defensive awareness.

If we can get a young defenseman or goaltender for him, I'm all for it. And by young, I mean younger than 24.

I agree that you have to give up quality to get quality. I think Coots can become an excellent player in the league, and so do many others, which is why he would have a nice trade value. He could end up being a Michal Handzus type, which would definitely be nice, but definitely below what people project he can be. Or he could become a Mike Richards, 1st/2nd line center with strong defensive awareness.

If we can get a young defenseman or goaltender for him, I'm all for it. And by young, I mean younger than 24.

i like to see them get yandle or myers, they are good players. they probably going to get a defender, i mean there's rumors of boyle but he's old, it just means that they are going after a defender.

i like to see them get yandle or myers, they are good players. they probably going to get a defender, i mean there's rumors of boyle but he's old, it just means that they are going after a defender.

I prefer Myers over Yandle.

couturier was better on the fourth line and schenn on the third line.

I think maybe part of the thing is both were more hidden last season. with more icetime this year, and more responsibilities/expectations, the fact they are children is more exposed. I mean, couturier is 20 and has now played in 106 regular season games. schenn is 21, and has played in 93. these are not experienced players. these are kids very much still figuring things out.

also, just to point out, schenn is one point beyond his point production from last season...in 24 fewer games. very tough lift to say he was better last year.

this team needs a defender and top winger, you cant ignore those needs, they have to sacirfice something to make this team better, otherwise what direction is this team going?

well, how about we grow a top winger? schenn has slowed down over the last couple weeks, but is still on a 52 point pace over an 82 game schedule. I like the progression. 27 point pace last season, 52 this season, at that rate he's looking at 70-ish next? why not let it roll and see what happens?

and, yes, the team needs a strong defenseman...and couturier is the probably most tradable asset now. I wouldn't scream if they moved him, but here again, I think there is a good case to be made to let him grow into his game and see what he becomes. he's taken a step backwards, but how common is the sophomore slump? and how often does the player shake it off and become something impressive once he's allowed to figure out what he's doing?

every roster piece you move to fill a hole leaves a hole behind.

• Like 1