Leafs coach benches James van Riemsdyk

Digityman

BOSTON - James van Riemsdyk has taken up residence in Randy Carlyle's doghouse.

The Maple Leafs winger has gone seven games without a goal, his longest slump this season, and Carlyle showed his displeasure on Monday.

Van Riemsdyk finished with 18 minutes, five seconds of ice time in a 3-2 shootout loss against the Boston Bruins, but played just three minutes 11 seconds in the third period. He didn't get on the ice in the final eight minutes and did not have a shift in overtime.

"I think James has got some work to do in some areas," Carlyle said.

"Ice time is usually a reflection about how a coach feels about an individual He has been a great player for us, but I think he is in a little bit of a dry spell right now. We need him to get his feet moving and start to create more."

Van Riemsdyk did not talk to reporters after the game, but said in the morning he thought he was doing the right things.

"I think I have been doing some good things, but sometimes you just don't get the puck luck," van Riemsdyk said. "I'm continuing to go to the areas where you get the goals. You can't force it."

Matt Frattin also felt Carlyle's scorn, but in a different way. Frattin was a healthy scratch as Carlyle opted to keep Ryan Hamilton in the lineup as Joffrey Lupul came back from serving a two-game suspension.

Source

@ruxpin HA HA....I let out a giant laugh when I saw you posted in this thread. You just might have been right about the kid. The frustrating part is that *one* playoff run, based on that, it's obvious the kid can bring it "when he wants to".....glad it's not our problem anymore. This kind of back and forth bitching between Randy, the TO press, and JVR himself will become common place.