McGinn moved to Flyers' top line

pilldoc

McGinn moved to Flyers' top line

POSTED: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 11:28 AM

Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

Based on Tuesday's morning skate, Tye McGinn will play left wing on the top line tonight against the New York Rangers.

McGinn, recalled from the Phantoms on Monday, will be on a unit with Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek.

Ilya Bryzgalov will make his 30th start in 32 games for the Flyers, who have lost 10 of their last 11 meetings with the Rangers.

The Flyers are in 13th place in the East, five points behind the eighth-place Rangers with 17 games left.

"To me, my personal message to the guys is that it is still in our hands," defenseman Kimmo Timonen said. "We can control our destiny."

But only if they go on a surge, something that has eluded them during the lockout-shortened season. The Flyers have not won more than two straight all year.

The Flyers will be without injured defensemen Nick Grossmann and the concussed Danny Briere tonight.

Here is their probable lineup:

* McGinn-Giroux-Voracek.

* Hartnell-B. Schenn-Simmonds. (Hartnell inching his way back to the top line.)

* Gagne-Talbot-Read.

* Fedotenko-Couturier-Rinaldo.

* L. Schenn-Timonen; Coburn-Gervais; Mez-Foster.

* Bryzglaov.

Hail, Kimmo. Timonen will be honored in a pre-game ceremony for recently playing in his 1,000th career game. He will have about 40 relatives and friends at the game, including 20 from Finland.

During the pre-game warmups, the Flyers will all wear No. 44 in tribute to Timonen. Yes, a very nice touch.

======================================================================================

Very curious to see how McGinn does with the top unit. I love the kids fire and desire. I'm still shuddering at the thought of both Gervais and Foster on the ice. At least they are not paired together!

Why not eh? Might as well roll the dice.

I think the 12-25-24 line did well a few games back when 25 scored so I don't mind seeing them together.

Oh and this season is a write off but that doesn't mean I don't get excited to watch each game. Go Flyers!

Hail, Kimmo. Timonen will be honored in a pre-game ceremony for recently playing in his 1,000th career game. He will have about 40 relatives and friends at the game, including 20 from Finland.

During the pre-game warmups, the Flyers will all wear No. 44 in tribute to Timonen. Yes, a very nice touch.

Sounds like they're getting ready to have the "#### off, we don't want you any more so let us get a draft pick for your sorry ###" discussion with him, don't it?

Very curious to see how McGinn does with the top unit. I love the kids fire and desire. I'm still shuddering at the thought of both Gervais and Foster on the ice. At least they are not paired together!

Hasn't he been up there before?

How awesome is the Flyer farm system if they can pluck a guy right from the AHL onto the top line?

Remember, you don't just PUT a guy on the top line. He has to EARN his way there.

:ph34r:

Sounds like they're getting ready to have the "#### off, we don't want you any more so let us get a draft pick for your sorry ###" discussion with him, don't it?

Hasn't he been up there before?

How awesome is the Flyer farm system if they can pluck a guy right from the AHL onto the top line?

Remember, you don't just PUT a guy on the top line. He has to EARN his way there.

I can't remember what line he was on when he was last up...i think the 2nd.....i agree you have to earn your way to top line.

I think they are trying to access McGinn in different spots, a checking role, a top 6 role, to see if they can count on him for some offense next season. They need to know if pairing him with elite talent will produce pts, if not, he will be in a checking role moving forward. This is an important piece of the puzzle, finding out just what McGinn can contribute, if he can score and looks like a lot of upside is present, that takes away the need for forward depth this off season. I'm ok with this little addition, this is something Homer has to do, to really know where he is at depth wise.

I think they are trying to access McGinn in different spots, a checking role, a top 6 role, to see if they can count on him for some offense next season. They need to know if pairing him with elite talent will produce pts, if not, he will be in a checking role moving forward. This is an important piece of the puzzle, finding out just what McGinn can contribute, if he can score and looks like a lot of upside is present, that takes away the need for forward depth this off season. I'm ok with this little addition, this is something Homer has to do, to really know where he is at depth wise.

Didn't they just sign their "physical presence" in Scott Hartnell for another five or so years?

@radoran If the kid is a budding power forward, the more the better. I think he's a bit tougher than Harts and certainly sktates much better. Perhaps a precursor to a Harts trade (if he would ever waive the NMC), if McGinn can fill in with Harts role?

Three ifs in there jammer. How about we just see what the kid can do?

@radoran If the kid is a budding power forward, the more the better. I think he's a bit tougher than Harts and certainly sktates much better. Perhaps a precursor to a Harts trade (if he would ever waive the NMC), if McGinn can fill in with Harts role?

True, absolutely.

It's not like the had a guy they drafted highly and then signed long term to fill that position.

Let's find out what this guy has.