Nice to see former Flyer Ray Emery doing well.......sigh

Guest OH1FlyersFan

Ray's pitching a shutout tonight. For the season he's boasting a .916 save percentage and a 2.26 goals against average. He did pretty well even when he was with the Flyers - .905 and a 2.64.

Oh, and then there's Bob. He's only played 23 games for the Bluejackets, but he's put up a .927 SV %, and a 2.17 GAA.

And then there's Bryz at a whopping .898 and 2.83. Stark comparison. Just stark.

I'd be pretty happy with either one of those other guys right now.

Hindsight's always 20/20. And a b!tch.

• Like 2

Ray Emery is playing behind a stacked team. I'm not saying he isn't playing well but be honest with yourself you know he ain't putting up those numbers on the this team with our rubbish defense.

His lower cap hit could mean more $ for defenseman though. You never really know.

• Like 1

Ray Emery is playing behind a stacked team. I'm not saying he isn't playing well but be honest with yourself you know he ain't putting up those numbers on the this team with our rubbish defense.

Good point. That's the theory, anyway. It's a team sport. It would be interesting - fascinating - to see what Bryz could do with a stacked team. That would put all the questions to rest. I think we may have to wait 2 or 3 seasons before we can call ourselves stacked, though.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

@OH1FlyersFan Put Bryz on an elite stacked team and you still are left with the fundamental flaws, the utter disreagard for rebound control, the sloppy out of positon play, how he can't track the puck if his life depended on it, the untimely soft goals......that would all still be there. Stats might be a tad better, but the propenticy for back breaking goals would still be there. He would still crumble like a cookie.

• Like 1

@OH1FlyersFan Put Bryz on an elite stacked team and you still are left with the fundamental flaws, the utter disreagard for rebound control, the sloppy out of positon play, how he can't track the puck if his life depended on it, the untimely soft goals......that would all still be there. Stats might be a tad better, but the propenticy for back breaking goals would still be there. He would still crumble like a cookie.

That post articulates very clearly my fear.

I can't blame the Flyers for the way things went down with Emery. Like you said hindsight is 20/20 and no one could have predicted he would come back like this. I do blame Homer for giving Bob away. That was just a dumb move.

This sounds reasonable but I think you all are misremembering history a little. There was plenty of evidence that Emery would play well again, long before Homer had to decide whether to re-sign him. The "chance" Homer would've taken wasn't big - it's not like Emery was going to get a massive contract or anything.

Hindsight is always 20/20, sure, but in this case a little foresight would've gone a long way to helping the Flyers. It almost certainly would've prevented us from the humongous failure known as Ilya Bryzgalov.

[edit: and don't get me started on the Bob fiasco!]

Edited by canoli

Once upon a time, long ago in a faraway land ...

There was a young goalie named Bob

who came from Russia to work at a job

for a bold GM who liked Bob's style

and the kid played great for awhile

But his coach gave him too many starts

while the team was busy smelling their own farts

It killed his game

and the "bold GM" needed someone to blame

so that was the end of Bob

• Like 1