Letang has a broken toe

hf101

Well... That sucks!

Early reports are in fact a broken toe for Letang (apparently it happened early in the game though he logged 20+ minutes of ice time) and a sore neck for Fleury.

Good news on the Fleury front at least.

There goes the Norris. ;)

Malkin expected back tomorrow.

A broken toe can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to heal. Hartnell came back from one in about 30 days earlier this season. Figure that the worse case scenario for Letang is that he misses 2 rounds of the playoffs should the Pens make it that far. Best case is back in time for the last game or two of the regular sesaon.

Could be worse. They have a nice cusion now. 15 points up in the division and 14 points ahead of Winnipeg for the #3 seed. Even sans Letang I think they hold on to one of the top 2 seeds.

Thoughts on Shero getting one more depth guy on D now, or do they just pull one of the kids up and let it ride during the playoffs?

Let it ride. Paging Mr. Depres...

Martin can handle the PP. Heck, he's been better than Letang on the PP this year.

Then Pens have been playing with a defense-first mindset. I think that softens the loss of Letang.

@B21 Yeah, it's a big loss Letang, but they can overcome it....this all world defensive prospect depth will at least make up for the loss a bit....you guys will be ok. I bet Letang comes back for round 1....and will be well rested....worse things have happened.

Looks like the Norris and Presidents' are back as possibles along with the Art Ross and Hart. ;)

http://www.post-gaze...k-on-ir-681037/

Bylsma: Letang out 7-10 days; Fleury still being evaluated

March 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Penguins defenseman Kris Letang is expected to miss seven to 10 days with an unspecified injury and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury is still being evaluated for an unspecified injury, coach Dan Bylsma said.

Fleury, however, has not been ruled out as a backup for Thursday's home game against Winnipeg.

Letang returned Tuesday in a 1-0 win over Montreal after missing three games with what was believed to be a groin injury. It appeared he was uncomfortable on his first shift, favoring his left let of foot. He finished the game. Bylsma indicated he now has a different injury from before. A report by French-language media in Canada said Letang has a broken toe.

Earlier today, Letang was placed on injured reserve.

Fleury started against Montreal but did not play in the third period. In the final minute of the second period, he got bowled over by teammate Tyler Kennedy, who appeared to get pushed by Montreal's Brian Gionta. Kennedy hit Fleury in the head as he fell.

Bylsma said the plan all along was to start Tomas Vokoun in net Thursday, so the only question for that game is whether Fleury will be cleared to dress as the backup goalie.

Edited by B21

@B21 Yeah, it's a big loss Letang, but they can overcome it....this all world defensive prospect depth will at least make up for the loss a bit....you guys will be ok. I bet Letang comes back for round 1....and will be well rested....worse things have happened.

Well the prospect depth won't help this year but they still have options on D. Looks like it's only 7 to 10 days now for Letang.

And still Murray added so lots of depth. Bortuzzo down for a three game conditioning stint. No need to pass waivers for it.

I doubt Letang will be Norris material anyway. There are too many in love with Chara. He SHOULD be up for the Nortis, but I think missing these games will hurt his being considered.