doesnt make sense to fire homer now

oh believe me i want him gone but if they get rid of him now, it wont make sense because the trade deadline is less than week away and the new gm will probably need a month to evaluate the roster, of who to get rid of or not to get rid of, if homer makes no trades by deadline, it means he's probably going to be gone after this season because snider would want the next gm in the offseason to evaluate the roster and see what says and goes.

i think it implies to the coach as well, fire now will do nothing unless they are still in the hunt and struggling which he probably knows it's not the case.

Edited by toughfighter83

@toughfighter83

It doesn't make sense, but much hasn't made sense in the Flyerland in the last few years. If any thing, it may send a message to players that their job isn't safe.

Also, it could prevent another Upshal and a 2nd for Carcillo type move. I don't think the Flyers do anything at the deadline. Briere is hurt, Couturier isn't lighting up the league, Hartnell has value but is under valued this year.

Untouchables should remain:

Schenn (both)

Giroux

Voracek

Simmonds

If Holmgren is fired you know damn well Bobby Clarke some how some way will become the interm GM.

@Bertmega At this point, the defense is in such shambles, I'd be ok with firing Homer and starting a TOTAL re-build. That means dealing our whole crappy defense and being prepared to be total crap for years and years....this is the right move, guys like Coburn and Mez, they will not be part of any championship defense.....of course, this will not happen, not in Flyerland, but it is the right way to go....and that means sending Homer packing and bringing in somebody with the Gonads who can make this happen. Sinder will not allow it, but I really believe it's the way to go. Keep the 5 guys you mentioned and trade the rest of the useless stiffs away. We are bad, real bad.....and one lottery pick will not change that....start a complete and total rebuild....that's what I would do....!!!

@jammer2

I agree 100% with the above assessment. And you are right that with Snider still pulling the strings, there will never be a proper re-build. The shame in it is, that 2007 was the perfect opportunity to do just that; however, band-aids brought the Flyers Briere (most likely a buy out candidate), Pronger, Bryzgalov.

A few lousy years and proper development should allow this team to get on the right track.

Wishful thinking.

I am fully anticipating a trade that involves a young center or two for something that will never get us over the hump.....

Edited by Bertmega

@jammer2

I'd trade Mezsaroes for the right price. I guess I'd trade Coburn too, but for as bad as he's looked this year, he's also been pretty damn good at other times. I don't mean as a top pair, but in the 3-4 spot. His size and skating ability are something that can't be taught. And if you get rid of ALL veterans, the rebuild will take as long as Edmontons, which is what, 5 years and basically in the same boat as Philly is right now?

@flyercanuck "And if you get rid of ALL veterans, the rebuild will take as long as Edmontons, which is what, 5 years and basically in the same boat as Philly is right now?"

And I'm ok with that, just want to do it the right way for *once*. Agree 100% on Coburn, the guy (this year discluded) has shown historically he can be an excellent 3-4 guy on a good playoff team. When he is forced into the 1-2 slot he is in over his head......and yeah, even with the glaring lack of physicility from Coburn, he is still a very nice skater....which makes him valuable. If I can get the right return, I'd think about moving him, but the Flyers don't think that way, I believe they honestly believe that a few tweaks and a change of goalie can turn this team around....in other words, I believe they are delusional.

Just to point out, that 4 of the current 6 Dman have some forms of No Trade/No Movement clauses.

They only one that doesn't is Meszaros..so if anyone goes, it's him..simply for that fact. And he's only signed for one more year, so not a huge commitment by a team. That my also hurt his "value", but so will being made of balsa wood and glass....

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

@flyercanuck "And if you get rid of ALL veterans, the rebuild will take as long as Edmontons, which is what, 5 years and basically in the same boat as Philly is right now?"

And I'm ok with that, just want to do it the right way for *once*. Agree 100% on Coburn, the guy (this year discluded) has shown historically he can be an excellent 3-4 guy on a good playoff team. When he is forced into the 1-2 slot he is in over his head......and yeah, even with the glaring lack of physicility from Coburn, he is still a very nice skater....which makes him valuable. If I can get the right return, I'd think about moving him, but the Flyers don't think that way, I believe they honestly believe that a few tweaks and a change of goalie can turn this team around....in other words, I believe they are delusional.

i cant understand why this fanbase think it's ok to be a bad team for years? this year i was expecting it because homer is making bad moves, but with a new gm making good moves getting some in prime not overaging vets to help this team that actually want to play and win, this feels like the philadelphia eagles/sixers teams, this team can be back in the playoffs. all because fans are high on courts and schenn, fans seriously need to get rid of their high and face reality, this is not the way to build a champonship because these players are not the right players and i dont want to hear sophomore slump because they are not even trying, the only ones that are trying is simmounds,rinaldo, and mcginn.

there's no excuses to not play.

Edited by toughfighter83

I would argue that if you fire Homer now it will send a message that everyone else is on notice, including people with NMC. Have John Paddock or whoever be the interim GM, don't make any trades at the deadline and ride out the season. The first day after the season ends try and hire a permanent GM and prep for the draft, free agency. New GM can decide the coach and which players if any will be bought out.

• Like 1

@toughfighter83

I don't think the fan base is loving a bad product at all, but what shall we do? Hold a rally on Broad Street? Kidnap Bryzgalov's husky? Cry ourselves to sleep in our pillows? Seriously, this is the 2nd time in nearly two decades that the team was not in competition for the Atlantic, Eastern Conference or the Cup.

On top of that, had the brass properly rebuilt after the disastrous 2006-07 season we may have won a cup. Instead they made panic moves that only solidify a teams chances for a few years. This was a messed up season with a lot of question marks surrounding it.

Take a deep breath, step away from the ledge and look forward to the Flyers making progress to addressing their needs in the off season.

Seriously, it could be worse, we could all be Leaf fans. :D

@toughfighter83

Have you ever played with a goalie like Bryz? There comes a time when you just give up. I think that time was last season.

If it's so hard for the poor dears, they can always give their paychecks back.

Oh, right. Easier to just quit, blame the goalie and count the cash.

If it's so hard for the poor dears, they can always give their paychecks back.

Oh, right. Easier to just quit, blame the goalie and count the cash.

It's not like it hasn't happened before. It's happened in Philly before.

how is it the goalie's fault that the team is not playing right? isnt that the coaches job? i seem to remember the blackhawks winning a cup with a goalie that was struggling, not to rub it in but that's the truth, it takes a team to win a cup not the goalie, now if you want bryz gone, how do you replace him with? also the devils were all over the flyers in last year's playoffs bryz was making great saves and the team didnt show up, how is that bryz fault? the fact is you have hate for goalie because of the contract, well he's a starter, how much money do you expect starters to get? alot of starters that is going to be resigned for big bucks in the offseason so it will think getting rid of bryz contract will solve everything, you are dead wrong because those dream goalies in fa are going to want alot of money because they are starters. so deal with it.

@toughfighter83

I think Bryz' weird personality has something to do with it, along with his sporadic play and huge contract.Team chemistry and all.

Didn't Chicagos goalie play well earlier in the playoffs? He wasn't so good in the finals. If it wasn't for Fleury actually being worse than Bryz (hard enough to believe as it were) there wouldn't even have been a Jersey series. As bad as Leighton and Niemi were in that final, I'd say Fleury and Bryz were twice as bad in last years first round.

I don't want the Flyers to go out and sign a big name goalie (not that there are any) I want them to develop their own damn goalie. They had one, and threw him away so their "big name goalie" wouldn't get all stressed out having some competition.

And I will excoriate them for it for the rest of their lives.

If Homer gave away Bob so "their 'big name goalie' wouldn't get all stressed out having some competition" then that, alone, is reason to fire Holmgren.

These guys need a serious trip to Oz to get some brains, heart and courage. And I mean the HBO series.

@toughfighter83

I think Bryz' weird personality has something to do with it, along with his sporadic play and huge contract.Team chemistry and all.

Didn't Chicagos goalie play well earlier in the playoffs? He wasn't so good in the finals. If it wasn't for Fleury actually being worse than Bryz (hard enough to believe as it were) there wouldn't even have been a Jersey series. As bad as Leighton and Niemi were in that final, I'd say Fleury and Bryz were twice as bad in last years first round.

I don't want the Flyers to go out and sign a big name goalie (not that there are any) I want them to develop their own damn goalie. They had one, and threw him

@toughfighter83

I don't want the Flyers to go out and sign a big name goalie (not that there are any) I want them to develop their own damn goalie. They had one, and threw him away so their "big name goalie" wouldn't get all stressed out having some competition.

bob struggled too last year, i guess the flyers didnt want to play for him either, or in the boston 2011 playoff series.

away so their "big name goalie" wouldn't get all stressed out having some competition.

@radoran

Well he certainly didn't get rid of him cause he thought Leighton was better. Cause if he did, he should still be fired.

Essentially, there's no way to look at this whole goalie fustercluck without it ending with "Homer should be fired."

Unless you are Ed Snider.

• Like 1

Essentially, there's no way to look at this whole goalie defensive, and for that matter, offensive fustercluck without it ending with "Homer should be fired."

Unless you are Ed Snider.

There you go, Radoran. I fixed your statement for you. :D

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

@toughfighter83

It doesn't make sense, but much hasn't made sense in the Flyerland in the last few years. If any thing, it may send a message to players that their job isn't safe.

Also, it could prevent another Upshal and a 2nd for Carcillo type move. I don't think the Flyers do anything at the deadline. Briere is hurt, Couturier isn't lighting up the league, Hartnell has value but is under valued this year.

Untouchables should remain:

Schenn (both)

Giroux

Voracek

Simmonds

If Holmgren is fired you know damn well Bobby Clarke some how some way will become the interm GM.

And that is the problem in the nutshell.