Iginla to Pens! Wow...

Guest Polaris922

This x 2. Look, there will be alot of hate for Iginla for the way he pushed this, especially from New England. But in the end, can you blame him? He's 35, how many more chances does he get to win the cup, and to probably look good playing with Sid and Geno doing it! Anyone looking at it purely from the Iginla side of things understands.

Sure. He certainly took the easy way out, jumping on the bandwagon of a team on a roll who's already loaded up. But I don't have any animosity towards Iginla. The guy stuck it out in Calgary all those years without them EVER giving him a true #1 center.

• Like 2

@B21

After hockey last night we were talking about the trade (along with everyone else in the hockey world). I thought it was strange Feister didn't ask for a conditional 1st or 2nd if Iginla re-signed or if the Pens won the cup.

You mean in addition to the 1st next year?

@B21

Yes, a conditional 1st (or 2nd) IF the Pens win the cup or IF he re-signs. I mean let's face it, they only really got a 25-30 pick out of the deal.

I think he's lucky he got what he did. Good chance Boston's pick would have been late 2nd round as it was conditional.

@B21 Ahhhh, I didn't know about Bostons pick being conditional, Pens offer looks a whole lot more enticing now. Still think somehow the Flames could have squeezed out more had they waited....maybe they didn't have that option of waiting, who knows?

@B21 Ahhhh, I didn't know about Bostons pick being conditional, Pens offer looks a whole lot more enticing now. Still think somehow the Flames could have squeezed out more had they waited....maybe they didn't have that option of waiting, who knows?

Yeah - it was conditional on him resigning. Could have happened. I still give the edge to the Bruins offer; even with the conditional pick their prospects were that much better than what the Pens were offering.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor has it that Iginla will sign an extension with the Penguins.

Sold his home in Calgary.

Interesting.

The following 17 players are under contract for next season...

Kunitz / Crosby / ???

Neal / Malkin / Bennett

??? / Sutter / ???

Glass / Vitale / ???

(Jokkinen) --> Not sure where he fits so I'll leave him here for now...

Orpik / Martin

Letang / Niskanen

Depres / Engelland

Fleury

Vokoun

Total Payroll: $55,800,000

Salary Cap: $64,300,000

That leaves $8,500,000 to keep 5 or 6 of the following:

UFA: Iginla, Morrow, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Murray and Eaton

RFA: Kennedy, Jeffrey and Bortuzzo

An educated guess says they would want to bring back Dupuis, Adams, Cooke, Murray, Eaton and....

Adams: $700,000 (up from $675,000)...

Dupuis: $3,000,000 (up from $1,500,000)... Too high? Too low?

Cooke: $1,500,000 (down from $1,800,000)...

Murray: $2,000,000 (down from $2,500,000)...

Eaton: $725,000 (same)...

(Theoretically, if you were willing to give a guy the same annual salary, that salary would be lower with a $64,300,000 cap versus a $70,200,000 cap.)

That leaves $1,275,000 for Iginla. I don't think he'd be expecting $7,000,000 but would want a lot more than $1,275,000.

So swap out Murray for Bortuzzo and you save another $1,400,000. Does $2,675,000 get you Iginla? I'd say no.

Do you not bring back Cooke or do you use the 'no-one-else-will-sign-you' leverage and get him down to maybe $1,000,000? Now you can go to $3,000,000. Does that get you Iginla? Maybe.

Of course, there is the issue of how many years do you give any of these FA's. 2014-15 is our fiscal cliff...who is due for a raise and how much. The big decision will be Malkin and/or Letang. It would be tough keeping both as it stands right now. If Iginla wants more than 1 year (I think he would) then keeping both almost becomes impossible unless you also part with Kunitz, Orpik and/or Niskanen.

After all that babble, I'd say it's difficult to resign Iginla for 1 year but not impossible. Considering how many years I'd think he would want and our situation for 2014-15?

Pass.

@B21

Cooke and Murray will probably be gone. Murray was brought in just for the stretch for physicality. Cooke, I'd like to see him go.

I'd resign Adam's at the same price, he's gotta love it here.

Duper's, I don't think it will take $3m to resign, he's a smart player, he's a product of the system and Sid's passes, $2.25M at most, if he wants more, sorry.

You left off Kennedy, good, I'd rather see him gone.

Iggy's having fun, he may take a big hit to have the chance to win a few cups.

NFN, I wouldn't cry if I saw Paul Martin moved. He's had a great year(well half season year) who can tell what we'll get next year. His stock is high now, move him. That would gree up $5m