Iginla to Pens! Wow...

Guest Polaris922

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=662496

In In a shocking turn of events on a wild Thursday morning, the Calgary Flames announced that they’ve traded franchise icon Jarome Iginla to the Penguins for Pittsburgh's first-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the rights to unsigned draft choice Kenneth Agostino and unsigned draft choice Ben Hanowski.

Throughout much of Wednesday night, TSN's Aaron Ward and several other media outlets reported Iginla being traded to Boston for a first-round pick and two minor leaguers. But the Flames announced the deal with Pittsburgh at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday, not long after their 4-3 home victory against Colorado.

"That info was not correct," Calgary GM Jay Feaster said in announcing the deal.

Feaster said the Flames had multiple offers for Iginla, and he worked with Iginla in making a decision on the player's final destination. Iginla, it seems, wanted to go to Pittsburgh and be reunited with Sidney Crosby. The two were teammates on the Team Canada entry that won the gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

It is the third major deal in the past 72 hours engineered by Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, who has yet to move a player off his NHL roster in making his acquisitions.

On Monday, he obtained gritty veteran forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars for prospect Joe Morrow and a draft pick. Less than 24 hours later, he plucked veteran defenseman Douglas Murray from San Jose for two second-round picks. Now he has bagged Iginla, the prize of this year's trade market

What is this cap thing people speak of.........I have to think Malkin is out for the season with this move.....nothing else even makes sense. Here is to hoping Pittsburgh is 2010-11 Miami Heat.......

Seriously though @Polaris922 and @B21.....How are the Pens able to stay under the cap with all these signings.......This seems like a shoot for the moon or die kind of philosophy..........

• Like 1

Wow!

I guess the rational is since the Flyers won't be in the playoffs, this year the Penguins have a chance. ;)

Kudos to Shero. I'm a bit surprised though they didn't add another defenseman.

Wow!

I guess the rational is since the Flyers won't be in the playoffs, this year the Penguins have a chance. ;)

Kudos to Shero. I'm a bit surprised though they didn't add another defenseman.

I really think our defense is so solid it's scary. The whole team is quite amazing on paper. We'll see what happens with chemistry now.

If you WERE going to the playoffs... Oh wait... I can't even fathom that right now ;)

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=662496

In In a shocking turn of events on a wild Thursday morning, the Calgary Flames announced that they’ve traded franchise icon Jarome Iginla to the Penguins for Pittsburgh's first-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the rights to unsigned draft choice Kenneth Agostino and unsigned draft choice Ben Hanowski.

Throughout much of Wednesday night, TSN's Aaron Ward and several other media outlets reported Iginla being traded to Boston for a first-round pick and two minor leaguers. But the Flames announced the deal with Pittsburgh at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday, not long after their 4-3 home victory against Colorado.

"That info was not correct," Calgary GM Jay Feaster said in announcing the deal.

Feaster said the Flames had multiple offers for Iginla, and he worked with Iginla in making a decision on the player's final destination. Iginla, it seems, wanted to go to Pittsburgh and be reunited with Sidney Crosby. The two were teammates on the Team Canada entry that won the gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

It is the third major deal in the past 72 hours engineered by Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, who has yet to move a player off his NHL roster in making his acquisitions.

On Monday, he obtained gritty veteran forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars for prospect Joe Morrow and a draft pick. Less than 24 hours later, he plucked veteran defenseman Douglas Murray from San Jose for two second-round picks. Now he has bagged Iginla, the prize of this year's trade market

There's a reason Pittsburgh didnt have to give much, other than he's a rental, Iginla isn't what he use to be. He hasnt been a plus player in 6 years. 2 other things I know for sure. 1) Shero is a fantastic GM and 2) Pittsburgh better win it all now, if not their gonna have one long off season

Holy Crap @Polaris922

I went to bed maybe 10 minutes before you wrote this watching all the coverage on twitter and the stuff on TSN. Then I just now saw your thread title in the shoutbox. I didn't see the time stamp and assumed my chain was pulled.

But holy crap on cracker. Might as well just cancel the eastern conference side of the bracket and just have the Pens play the winner of the west. I was going to say just cancel everything and have the Pens play the Hawks, but there's at least a chance over there that the Ducks or Wild sneak in.

Man, you have to be pretty juiced.

@ruxpin

I'm excited but a little apprehensive. Team chemistry is a strange thing. I think this makes us the team to beat in the easy if being #1 didn't do that already, but gotta see how they all gel now too.

Can't wait to see Murray tonight against the Jets!

@Polaris922

Iginla can be nothing but a positive influence. The guy just loves to play the game, and plays it the way it should be played. You guys just got extremely deep up front with 2 lines that can bury the puck and a pp that rivals the Oilers of the 80s. He may not be "prime" Iggy, but he will certainly be "rejuvenated" Iggy. Almost glad we're not playing you guys this year.

• Like 1

What is this cap thing people speak of.........I have to think Malkin is out for the season with this move.....nothing else even makes sense. Here is to hoping Pittsburgh is 2010-11 Miami Heat.......

Seriously though @Polaris922 and @B21.....How are the Pens able to stay under the cap with all these signings.......This seems like a shoot for the moon or die kind of philosophy..........

I was hoping someone here would answer that.

They had about $7,000,000 going into the season. I always thought that things worked on a pro-rated basis. I.E. - If you could fit the annual hit in then you could fit the pro-rated hit. Morrow at $4.1 million and Murray at $2.5 million fit annually or pro-rated.

Unless there is some obscure clause that allows this or my numbers are off or the Pens had the full $7,000,000 to work with but only take the pro-rated hit (the money works if that is the case).

Paging @aziz...

"Holy Stacked Deck Batman!". Wow, just wow. I figured that after the Morrow/Murray trades, Boston would go after Iggy. And I can't believe that someone did not offer more than two prospects and a first rounder. Think of the possilbe line combinations:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kunitz (Hotest line in hockey cannot be broke up, I know the temptation will be to move Dupuis off and put iggy on)

Neal-Malkin-Iggy :o

Bennet-Sutter-Morrow

Cooke-Jeffery-Kennedy

Jeffery, Glass on the back burners

I was hoping someone here would answer that.

They had about $7,000,000 going into the season. I always thought that things worked on a pro-rated basis. I.E. - If you could fit the annual hit in then you could fit the pro-rated hit. Morrow at $4.1 million and Murray at $2.5 million fit annually or pro-rated.

Unless there is some obscure clause that allows this or my numbers are off or the Pens had the full $7,000,000 to work with but only take the pro-rated hit (the money works if that is the case).

Paging @aziz...

All of the contracts in trades are prorated based on the number of games they are going to play(or could play). Not sure what the factor is this year with the shorteded season, but basically the pens are picking up probably a fraction like 1/4 of their salary as a cap hit for the rest of the year. It could be even lower if they take the 14 games left as a percent of the normal 82 game season.

Edited by nossagog

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=662496

I'll join your cautiously optimistic approach. Still have to play the games. An 8th seed did win the Cup last year.

That said...holy ****e. I'm more excited about how Shero pulled this off than actually getting Iginla. Boston all but had the name sewn on the jersey. One of their top prospects was a healthy scratch last night in his AHL game. Even the Habs/Bruins post game on NBC Sports was already analyzing who made out better...Pens w/ Morrow and Murray or the Bruins w/ Iginla.

That's two who chose to come here now. Guess we have something good going on, eh? ;)

Either that or Shero has pictures of Feaster banging a moose.

I'll join your cautiously optimistic approach. Still have to play the games. An 8th seed did win the Cup last year.

That said...holy ****e. I'm more excited about how Shero pulled this off than actually getting Iginla. Boston all but had the name sewn on the jersey. One of their top prospects was a healthy scratch last night in his AHL game. Even the Habs/Bruins post game on NBC Sports was already analyzing who made out better...Pens w/ Morrow and Murray or the Bruins w/ Iginla.

That's two who chose to come here now. Guess we have something good going on, eh? ;)

Either that or Shero has pictures of Feaster banging a moose.

:lol: I wonder after the Morrow/Murray thing that Iggy didn't go in and refresh his list. Better win it now, it will be a great letdown if they don't

All of the contracts in trades are prorated based on the number of games they are going to play(or could play). Not sure what the factor is this year with the shorteded season, but basically the pens are picking up probably a fraction like 1/4 of their salary as a cap hit for the rest of the year. It could be even lower if they take the 14 games left as a percent of the normal 82 game season.

Got it. Then my question would be this....Does the $7,000,000 in cap space the Pens had at the beginning of the season not also get pro-rated as the season progresses? Does that $7,000,000 become $3,500,000 at that halfway point, etc, etc. If not, these guys easily fit.

I'm more excited about how Shero pulled this off than actually getting Iginla.

I agree that might even be the bigger story--today anyway. The parade will, of course, be the bigger story if/when...

But this was a "Dewey Wins!" or going to bed thinking Al Gore was president moment.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but here's the night for me last night: Jdodge posts Iginla for Lucic. I thought that was pretty stupid, but I ended up seeing that all over twitter. Then I start reading "confirmed" on TSN and twitter but it doesn't involve Lucic. Then it was time to start figuring out exactly who the players were going the other way. Seriously, I was up to just about right before @Polaris922 posted his "Iginla to the Pens" thread. So I go to bed thinking Iginla is a Bruin. If it wasn't a bit earlier out in Calgary, I bet most Flames fans went to bed thinking Iginla was a Bruin. Like you said, "all but had the name sewn on the jersey." I even read various Bruins fans on twitter who were already getting ready to order their sweaters. And I wake up this morning and see "Iginla to Pens! Wow...." in the shout box. I really thought it was a joke and jumped on TSN. Holy fricken crap.

I don't know how the Bruins even attempt to match at this point. I mean, Flyers fans right away say "ooh, Briere is worth more to them now." But honestly, Briere vs. Iginla? Especially given that the Pens were already in a better place than better place than the Bruins and given what they've already done in the last week?

Barring chemistry issues as you guys have stated or multiple injuries, I just don't see stopping the Pittsburgh Express. In fact, forget the Bruins. You have to start wondering what Chicago thinks it needs to do to keep up.

• Like 1

I don't know how the Bruins even attempt to match at this point. I mean, Flyers fans right away say "ooh, Briere is worth more to them now." But honestly, Briere vs. Iginla? Especially given that the Pens were already in a better place than better place than the Bruins and given what they've already done in the last week?

Barring chemistry issues as you guys have stated or multiple injuries, I just don't see stopping the Pittsburgh Express. In fact, forget the Bruins. You have to start wondering what Chicago thinks it needs to do to keep up.

I think the point isn't whether Briere is comparable to Iginla, it's that Boston now has to make a move or go into the playoffs with less firepower. I think Chicago could look at some depth at goaltending, or depth anywhere. But as a team they're fine.

• Like 1

Can NOT stop grinning ovr hear re this trade for Iggy. I fell asleep hating that he was going to make the B' s a better team and ignored all of the annoying "he's old" talk....Just was a bit bummed he chose Boston.....until I opened my phone and say the trade in front of me......Unreal.

They need to play and make it happen but damn he is going to be so welcome to the pen fans.

Edited by Skatebyu66

I think the point isn't whether Briere is comparable to Iginla, it's that Boston now has to make a move or go into the playoffs with less firepower. I think Chicago could look at some depth at goaltending, or depth anywhere. But as a team they're fine.

Oh, I know Briere isn't comparable and you're right that it's not the point. But it just seems like the enemy just got several bazookas and the Bruins are talking about going and getting a limp undercooked piece of halibut in the attempt to get "more firepower."

Got it. Then my question would be this....Does the $7,000,000 in cap space the Pens had at the beginning of the season not also get pro-rated as the season progresses? Does that $7,000,000 become $3,500,000 at that halfway point, etc, etc. If not, these guys easily fit.

I don't think so, that's how these deals get done at the deadline. I'm sure with what the Pens did over the past 5 days, someone is going to have an article explaining it in details, because I'm sure alot of other fans(especially those in Boston) are scratching their heads this morning.

Imagine the difference in feelings waking up this more as a Pens fan, or a Bruins fan. They not only lost a tough game last night to the Habs, but I think the equipment guy already was sowing his name on a B's uniform.

Oh, I know Briere isn't comparable and you're right that it's not the point. But it just seems like the enemy just got several bazookas and the Bruins are talking about going and getting a limp undercooked piece of halibut in the attempt to get "more firepower."

That whole concussion thing is going to put a damper on any Briere talk. Termed indefinitely, if he's not in the line up in the next few days, no contender it going to touch him.

• Like 1