An era ends in Calgary

habsguy26

-taken from tsn.ca-

Jarome Iginla's tenure with the Calgary Flames has come to an end. The team announced late Wednesday night that it dealt Iginla to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for college prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski as well as Pittsburgh's 2013 first-round draft pick.

You can watch Iginla's news conference in Calgary on TSN and TSN.ca today at 12:30pm et/9:30am pt.

Iginla has scored nine goals and 13 assists in 31 games with the Flames this season.

Holding team records for goals, points and games-played, Iginla's time with the Flames comes to an end in the final year of a five-year deal he signed prior to the 2008-09 season worth an average annual value of $7 million.

The long-serving captain has scored 525 goals and 570 assists in 1219 career games with the Flames. Over Iginla's 15 seasons with the Flames he has won two Maurice “Rocket” Richard trophies as the league's leading goal scorer as well as an Art Ross Trophy, the Lester B. Pearson Award, the Mark Messier Leader of the Year Award and the King Clancy Memorial Trophy.

"We as an organization owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Jarome," said Flames GM Jay Feaster. "Not only for what he did for the franchise during his tenure as a player here and as our captain, but also for the fact that now as we recognize that despite our best efforts, and despite the work we've put in, we've fallen short of the goals we set for ourselves as an organization.

"We respect very, very much the fact that Jarome worked with us to enable this to come about."

He has been named to play in seven NHL All-Star Games, has been named to three NHL First All-Star Teams and one NHL Second All-Star Team on top of winning two Olympic Gold Medals.

He was originally drafted in the first round (11th overall) by the Dallas Stars at the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, The Stars dealt him to Calgary along with Corey Millen in 1995 in exchange for Joe Nieuwendyk.

Agostino, a forward, is in his third year at Yale. The 20-year-old, Pittsburgh's fifth-round pick in 2010, had 15 goals and 37 points in 33 games.

The 22-year-old Hanowski is in his fourth year with St. Cloud State. The forward, drafted in the third-round by Pittsburgh in 2009, had 16 goals and 29 points in 34 games.

"In these two players we've gotten two players we believe are going to play in the National Hockey League and are going to contribute and will play for us for a long time," Feaster said.

Both players are currently in the NCAA playoffs with their teams.

Charlie Simmer was just on the Fan590 talking about the trade, He was saying the city of Calgary will miss Iginla as much for his work off the ice as much as on.

And the return Calgary got for him just goes to show...NTCs are just plain stupid..

• 3 weeks later...

Calgary will never see a guy like him again unless by some chance he will come back to retire with Flames. This trade gives him a chance at a cup and the best chance he had since 2004!

I'll admit I don't like the Pens but as a Iggy fan I need them to win this year!!

Calgary will never see a guy like him again unless by some chance he will come back to retire with Flames. This trade gives him a chance at a cup and the best chance he had since 2004!

I'll admit I don't like the Pens but as a Iggy fan I need them to win this year!!

We want him to win one too. Total class act. Nothing but respect for him and he fits right in here as a contributor. Lookout when Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Martin all return for the playoffs!