Kris Kunitz dirty hit against the Islanders

pensuck

http://telly.com/B0F3BV

I don't think it was malicious or intentional . I do get tired of players turning like Bailey did in an attempt to draw the call. The hit would have been shoulder to shoulder but you can see Bailey turn his face into the boards as contact is being made as opposed to taking the hit shoulder to shoulder from Kunitz. Whether Bailey meant to do that (look like Marchand) or just due to loss of balance, I would fault him as much for this hit as Kunitz. Kunitz is not the cleanest player in the world but I won't tally this one up against him.

I don't know if it's suspension-worthy, but I don't think it draws a suspension (I don't know whether Bailey is hurt from it, so that might change the outcome). The thing is it didn't have the dramatics of a big crunching hit or leaving his feat, yadda yadda.

It was definitely to the numbers on a guy in a vulnerable position. I don't see any last minute turn by Bailey. I see the puck go into the corner and Bailey skate in that direction to go play it. Honestly, don't see "the turn" that usually drives me nuts in these incidents.

I doubt a suspension unless Bailey is hurt.

Bailey has proven to be a repeat offender in this situation, if there's an opportunity to draw a penalty he turns his back to the player and puts himself at risk, he's been on this end of this type of hit before. F him, Kunitz is one of my least favorite players , unless he's on my team, in the league but it would be unjust for him to receive supplemental discipline for that hit.

Bailey should be fined for his repeated stupidity.

• Like 1

http://telly.com/B0F3BV

I don't think it was malicious or intentional . I do get tired of players turning like Bailey did in an attempt to draw the call. The hit would have been shoulder to shoulder but you can see Bailey turn his face into the boards as contact is being made as opposed to taking the hit shoulder to shoulder from Kunitz. Whether Bailey meant to do that (look like Marchand) or just due to loss of balance, I would fault him as much for this hit as Kunitz. Kunitz is not the cleanest player in the world but I won't tally this one up against him.

While I don 't think it was intentional or overly "dirty", I don't see where people are saying the Islander purposely turned away from the hit. He never changed direction really.

Second, wasn't it nice to see the other Islanders stand up for Bailey? The complete opposite of what the Flyers did for Giroux two games ago...

• Like 2

To me, I would have no problem with a two minute inteference on this, because he hit him before the puck got there. But that should be all, this is one player using his shoulder on another, and he initiated the contact just before or on the goal line, so there was some distance. He didn't use his hands or stick to push him, it was just a should to shoulder that happens all the time.

I saw it as two guys jostling for the puck as it happened. More from the side than anything else. Was a crap call in my opinion because if Bailey turns towards the puck instead of away from it, it's dead on shoulder to shoulder. For whatever reason Bailey turns to the right when the puck clearly bounces off the boards to his left.

I'd have been ok with a two minute boarding call regardless of the distance from the boards but to call it a five intent to injure was garbage.

• Like 2

It was definitely boarding, Bailey did not touch the puck and was shoved head first into the boards. He didn't turn other than to look over his shoulder.

But it wasn't particularly dirty or deserving of a suspension, the penalty was enough. Kunitz might have been careless with the shove, but not malicious.

• Like 1

The link that was posted earlier is not working for me. I watched the hit yesterday during the game and I thought they got their feet tangled and that is what caused Bailey to lose his balance. Not suspension worthy.

No feet tangling at all and the announcer that called it a hit between the numbers is blind. Kunitz took the initiative on the shoulder to shoulder hit to get better position going after the puck( which they both were doing). Bailey literally bailed when the contact occurred but I can not say for certain if it was stupidity or just lack of skating ability. Jeez, it just feels dirty defending a penguin........... :unsure:

• Like 2

Disagree with old carrot top here... He fails to recognize the this play happens ten times a game as players jostle for position, and that for no reason at all Bailey turns away from the puck rather than towards it. If he hasn't intentionally made himself vulnerable trying to draw the penalty it would've been shoulder to shoulder battling. Good hockey. But since he turned away Kunitz does bear a responsibility to pull up, so two minutes for interference should've been enough.