I've become one of the angry mob...

Guest Phillygrump

Bench Bryz and put Bob in.

It's nearly noon and I'm still seething that Laviolette is forced to play Bryz because he is paid to play the position of the #1 goalie.

I could really give a crap how much Bryz is paid to sit on the bench..........HE CAN SIT ON THE PINE FOR THE NEXT NINE ******* YEARS FOR ALL I CARE.

Bob has had a save % of .942 in his last 4 starts.

COULD IT BE ANY MORE OBVIOUS TO LAVIOLETTE?

PLAY BOB

It's nearly noon and I'm still seething that Laviolette is forced to play Bryz because he is paid to play the position of the #1 goalie.

I can't see that last any longer if they continue to slide out of playoff position. They can't afford to lose the money from the playoffs as they rather bench Bryz to start Bob.

Bryz will start the Winter Classic, no question. Do you know how embarrassing it would be for the franchise if Bob started? Give Bob the Pens game, and then Bryz for the WC. After that, play the hot goalie.

Welcome back to the carousel!

@brelic

only problem with that is that bryzgalov's pattern is to play his worst hockey after bob gets a start. i agree with you at first, but when i think about it, when laviolette and holmgren sit down to talk about it...do you take the embarrasment of starting someone other than your $51mil goalie but potentially (probably?) get a good performance out of him, or the embarrasment of starting a $51mil goalie who historically will give up 4 goals on 12 shots in the first period on national television?

@brelic

only problem with that is that bryzgalov's pattern is to play his worst hockey after bob gets a start. i agree with you at first, but when i think about it, when laviolette and holmgren sit down to talk about it...do you take the embarrasment of starting someone other than your $51mil goalie but potentially (probably?) get a good performance out of him, or the embarrasment of starting a $51mil goalie who historically will give up 4 goals on 12 shots in the first period on national television?

Bottom line is that you start Bryz and hope he plays well. That's it. What appears simple to us (i.e. play the hot goalie, or inversely, bench the crappy goalie) would just raise too many issues to even bother. Did the Flyers make a mistake? Are they admitting failure this quickly with Bryz by playing their backup in the Winter Classic? Is Bob the real deal? How will this affect the locker room? What is their next move?

Seriously, I don't think it's worth the attention it would bring. For better or worse, the Flyers made a decade-long commitment to Bryzgalov, and we are stuck with him.

The real question is when does the 'starter' job become up for grabs, and not simply given to Bryz regardless of play?

@brelic

Are they admitting failure this quickly with Bryz by playing their backup in the Winter Classic?

i'm with you. i'm just thinking that if bryzgalov gets lit up on the 2nd for 6 goals on 24 shots, rather than the flyers admitting failure, the national television audience will think they are in denial about failure. which is preferable? i dunno.

@brelic

i'm with you. i'm just thinking that if bryzgalov gets lit up on the 2nd for 6 goals on 24 shots, rather than the flyers admitting failure, the national television audience will think they are in denial about failure. which is preferable? i dunno.

The 'audience' for these games consists of an awful lot of casual fans who don't know sh!t about hockey and won't even be able to pronounce Bryzgalov's name, let alone know what his contract is and the circumstances surrounding his signing. And even if the announcers talk about it, do you think they will care? Once the game's over, they'll be back to watching NASCAR.

You start Bryz, and basically give him this entire season to get his sh!t together. That's a fair measuring stick. See how he starts off next season, and if it's more of the same, hopefully Bob will seize the opportunity and steal the starting job.

After that, who knows what will happen.

@brelic

The 'audience' for these games consists of an awful lot of casual fans who don't know sh!t about hockey and won't even be able to pronounce Bryzgalov's name, let alone know what his contract is and the circumstances surrounding his signing

sure, plus it also consists of every hardcore hockey fan, and they know exactly what his contract is. i'd guess more of us watch the winter classic than the allstar game, anyway. there will be an informed audience paying attention on the 2nd. starting bob would get the NHL press writing about potential controversy in philly, starting bryzgalov and having him blow up will do the same, plus provide video support. again: i dunno. he's been bad enough recently that i wouldn't put money on it either way. 3 weeks ago, i agreed completely with you. these last 4 or 5 games, though....

@brelic

I don't think finding and going with the "hot" goaltender is admitting that Bryz is a bust. One season after signing a big contract shouldn't negate your past success. I don't mind finding out what we have in Bob though if Bryz isn't earning the spot. My only hope is it forces Homer to make a tough decision.

Is there any way to get rid of Bryz if Bob turns out to be a real option at Goalie for the Flyers? I don't always know all about the contract obligations and options out of them vs. the cap.

You start Bryz, and basically give him this entire season to get his sh!t together. That's a fair measuring stick. See how he starts off next season, and if it's more of the same, hopefully Bob will seize the opportunity and steal the starting job.

at the beginning of this year i was all set to be satisfied with a playoff berth as long as the young guys showed potential, but the excellent play of the young guys and jaromir freaking jagr has me thinking differently. it would be a waste to throw this season away so Universe can get his head on straight....

with the right answer in goal we could be dangerous in playoffs, like the 06/07 team that went to the ecf, i think there is more talent on this team than that one and like that one these guys like one another & playing together.

i don't think we can squander this group because the high priced keeper can't hack playing in a legit hockey market.

Is there any way to get rid of Bryz if Bob turns out to be a real option at Goalie for the Flyers? I don't always know all about the contract obligations and options out of them vs. the cap.

not really. rather, not easily. he has a no movement clause, so he can not be sent to the phantoms or traded without his explicit approval (of a trade in general and the team to be traded to in specific), NHL contracts are guaranteed, so there's no "cutting" him, and his contract it too long to realistically be bought out.

after the last collective bargining agreement was put into force, there was a short window where contracts could be bought out with no cap penalty. there is some hope that might happen again after the next agreement is put together next summer, though it isn't a sure thing. the previous penalty-free buyout period was to help teams get in compliance with the then-new salary cap...i'm not sure there will be any changes next summer large enough to warrant a similar window. maybe, though. of course, then the question is: will the flyers decide the bryzgalov contract was a big enough mistake to justify spending ~$35mil to get out of?

if i had to bet, bryzgalov and his contract will stay with the flyers for the next 7 years or so, at which point there will be few enough years that either a trade could be worked out or the flyers could bite the bullet and accept several years (as opposed to 10+) of cap penalty to move on. by that time, though, it's tough to see bobrovsky still being with the team.

@brelic

Um, Bryz isn't exactly playing stellar hockey with consecutive starts either.