Scott Laughton suspended 5 games by OHL for blind-side hit

Guest jammer2

Can't find a video of it yet. I'm assuming fc saw it, since they are playing the Colts in Round #2 of the OHL Playoffs. What did it look like from your persective fc? I'm hearing it was pretty dirty. This is Laughtons 2nd long suspension (that I know of), he got 10 games in Oct 2012 for another blind side hit. Don't think he's a Downie clone like some have inferred here. He certainly plays with an edge, one of those guys who has to ride the line to be effective. Maybe Rinaldo can give him some tips on how to be effective by not suspended.

http://www.sportsnet...ton-five-games/

EDIT, just saw on the Sportsnet ticker it was a hit to the head, that might include a blind side hit, maybe not, guess we'll know when the video comes out...still looking.

Edited by jammer2

@ruxpin Disagree with the suspension. Sure, a 2 minute boarding, but you see that kinda hit in every game. Clearly the head was NOT targeted, not Scott's fault the guys head hit the boards, plus, Hall seemed to duck down an bit right before the hit, making himself more vulnerable. Maybe fc can give us an update on Hall's status, but this *has* to be a reputation call, cause I don't see a suspendable hit there, ref's did not handle that right.

• Like 1

@ruxpin Disagree with the suspension. Sure, a 2 minute boarding, but you see that kinda hit in every game. Clearly the head was NOT targeted, not Scott's fault the guys head hit the boards, plus, Hall seemed to duck down an bit right before the hit, making himself more vulnerable. Maybe fc can give us an update on Hall's status, but this *has* to be a reputation call, cause I don't see a suspendable hit there, ref's did not handle that right.

Okay good. Sounds like you saw what I did.

wow... when I heard it described on another site I was anticipating something really bad... that is nothing compared to what I was expecting.

Yes, I don't like the hit... yes it's illegal... but it's not a 5 game suspension!?!?...

Hall is still out. I guessed 5 games. I hope the guy tones it down a bit, it was his 2nd hit in 2 games that could have warranted a suspension. It certainly looked a lot worse live than it does there in slow motion. But I was positive he would get suspended. Ryan O'Connor got 10 games for a first offence borderline head shot and Laughton already did 10 this season. The guy is a great player though. I thought he was better than Jenner in the 2 games he played.

I think the issue is a cross check to the shoulder blades that forces Hall's head into the glass. Full arm extension into the shoulders will get you. I'd bet a one or two game normally but because if the previous suspension it became five.

@Polaris922

The game was basically over at that point too. Barrie had dominated the entire game. It was a hit out of frustration IMO.

I don't think as much of Laughton skill-wise as many if you guys do, but I DO believe he may make a 3rd or 4th center in the future. I just hope he grows out of this stuff and doesn't ruin his chances. Always good to see someone succeed.

Hall is still out.

While I don't want to see anyone hurt, that hit was nothing. It was a foot away from the boards. The rules of hockey are ruining it. Back in the day, if you went into the "wall" / "corner" like that you were going to get crushed. The rules today are letting the players think "I will be protected". Hall has 20 lbs on Laughton. Go to the 90's and watch lindros do that same play. He would lay up a foot out and lay his shoulder back into the guy chasing him and then make a play on the puck.

@Vanflyer

The problem is Van, that you can have a case where you could have a 21 year old 6'3 230 lb guy hitting a 16 year old who's 5'8 150 lbs. That's why junior A is so severe with these type of hits. Parents have to know their kid is going to be protected.

Laughton got off lucky on another hit the previous game when he jumped the boards (making too many men) and flattened a Colt player who didn't even have the puck. The crowd was screaming bloody murder on that one.

Plus the fact he may have lost out of a chance to play on the WJ team with his previous 10 game suspension. It was a dumb play by him. He needs to play smarter which he does 99% of the time. He really reads the game well.

Edited by flyercanuck

Part that bugs me is, I don't think Scott is a dirty player per say, but now has multiple suspensions in the OHL. Both of these hits got a lot of press, which does not bode well when the player in question is going to don the O&B. He may be a marked man before he touchs the ice next season.

Plus the fact he may have lost out of a chance to play on the WJ team with his previous 10 game suspension. It was a dumb play by him. He needs to play smarter which he does 99% of the time. He really reads the game well.

Steve Downie v2.0??

@jammer2

I don't see Laughton on the Flyers next year. I'd rather he got tons of icetime in Oshawa than 4th line minutes with a couple of plumbers in Philly. He's got skill and his offensive game is coming along great. He's still only 18 so there's no AHL.

@Vanflyer

You yourself said the hit was nothing. He just has to tone it down a bit, not a lot. His coach may have something to do with the over -the- top stuff. I'm just guessing that but at the deadline the Generals brought in goons while teams like Barrie brought in talent.

Edited by flyercanuck

You yourself said the hit was nothing. He just has to tone it down a bit, not a lot. His coach may have something to do with the over -the- top stuff. I'm just guessing that but at the deadline the Generals brought in goons while teams like Barrie brought in talent.

I stand by my comment that the hit was nothing in my eyes. You did a great job of painting some history (particularly the preceding game). I knew about the 10 game suspension that cost him the team Canada WJHC bid (which by most accounts he would have been awarded). Your point is interesting regarding next year. While we do not necessarily need a third / fourth line center, we certainly could use a guy with his heart. That said, I am always very supportive in development.

I guess the question I would pose, where do you see him on the Phantoms or Flyers 2-3 years from now?? I do not see a downie reclamation project and was only joking about that.

He can make the Flyers in 2 years. I'd like to see him play one more year of junior then start the next on the Phantoms. If he's ready, bring him up. It's time for this organization to start bringing these guys up a little slower.