Well, well....Karma's a b!#ch, Neal elbowed...

jackhole

As @B21 said... Will you feel the same when it happens to Giroux for the hit in the Jersey series last year? Neal served a suspension for trying to elbow Giroux. Giroux put Zubrus out with his hit to the head. I'll wait for your karma reaction when it's Giroux getting concussed. Then I can lay BS comments out there like "we'll deserved" and veil it with "I never wish anybody hurt". Classless.

As I recall it was Neil who tried taking out two flyer players within two shifts. One gm suspension for that was not enough. Seems the pens have many players who play dirty and aim for the head.

This dead horse has been beat enough. Neal got 1 game for the Giroux hit (just like Giroux got 1 game for the Zubrus hit). He left his feet on the Schenn hit and was called for charging. Not suspension worthy. Neal was also fined for a high stick on Subban (after Subban slew footed him causing him to lose his footing). Here's a clip...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/29/james-neal-fined-for-being-slew-footed-by-p-k-subban/

So 1 incident makes a guy dirty and worthy of karma, huh?

If that's the case then I look forward to Giroux's comeuppance (his head shot on Zubrus was a lot worse). Apparently he's dirty, too.

Isn't Neil a repeat offender?

Yup - I stand corrected there. November 2011 with the Stars. 2 games. Hit on the Jackets' Derek Dorsett.

So now you have 2 incidents...Giroux and Dorsett (sorry - not killing him the the BS fine on Subban).

Still dirty and deserving of karma? Careful with that one....

Beyond Giroux... How many suspensions has Briere served? Pronger? Brayden Schenn? The traded Zolneirczyk? Rinaldo? Carcillo as a Flyer?? Sestito? Shelley??

It takes a lot of stupidity to post about how dirty the Pens are when those names recently wore Flyers uniforms. The Flyers have been twice the dirtbags the Pens have ever been. Twice the suspensions since at LEAST 2009... Save your hypocrisy and cure that selective memory.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922

Easy.

We've got nothing positive (other than the upcoming draft that we're bordering on losing the 'good" picks) to talk about so we may as well throw dirt on the Pens. Since both of you are on this board I'll ask what did Pens fans do when their team sucked? ;)

See? Now don't get all mad, I'm only foolin'.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Easy.

We've got nothing positive (other than the upcoming draft that we're bordering on losing the 'good" picks) to talk about so we may as well throw dirt on the Pens. Since both of you are on this board I'll ask what did Pens fans do when their team sucked? ;)

Zubrus.

(Bazinga!)

@Polaris922

Easy.

Cried in my beer ;)

The Flyers have been twice the dirtbags the Pens have ever been. Twice the suspensions since at LEAST 2009... Save your hypocrisy and cure that selective memory.

I'll bite on this one...

Since 2009 the stats are as follows:

2009-10

Suspensions

Total Games

PHL

PIT

2010-11

PHL

PIT

2011-12

PHL

PIT

PHL

PIT

In other words you guys have actually had more games missed through suspension than us but one less suspendable incident. So it doesn't really look like the Flyers have been twice as dirty according to those figures. On that basis selective memory looks as if it may apply to you as well as some others ;)

Both clubs have had their share of incidents and douchebag players but seem to be fairly even in terms of record.

See here for my source: http://nhlsuspensions.com/

PS Sorry for the formatting of the table, can't get it to work either pasting from excel or word, hope it is understandable.

Edited by EDI-Flyer

I'll bite on this one...

Since 2009 the stats are as follows:

2009-10

Suspensions

Total Games

PHL

PIT

2010-11

PHL

PIT

2011-12

PHL

PIT

PHL

PIT

In other words you guys have actually had more games missed through suspension than us but one less suspendable incident. So it doesn't really look like the Flyers have been twice as dirty according to those figures. On that basis selective memory looks as if it may apply to you as well as some others ;)

Both clubs have had their share of incidents and douchebag players but seem to be fairly even in terms of record.

See here for my source: http://nhlsuspensions.com/

PS Sorry for the formatting of the table, can't get it to work either pasting from excel or word, hope it is understandable.

Fair enough. My source page did not include Godard's leaving the bench or Adams' instigator as they were fight related not "dirty" plays. That had you at a third again as many rather than double.

I stand corrected on "double" and will say the Flyers have a third again as many suspensions from dirty hits, so again... Enough with the hypocrisy of "the Pens are the dirtiest in the league" garbage.

On an educational note... Until this topic I had no idea that Flyers Boulerice (25), Downie (20), Brown (15), and Hextall (12) are in the NHL's longest suspensions top 35 list. Penguins Cooke (16) and Godard (10) are there as well. Though I loved Godard's for standing up for his goalie.

Well if we are going on that basis take out Carcillo's four games for a sucker punch, seeing as how that was fight related also...

But I don't disagree with your main premise that the Pens are not the dirtiest in the league. Occasional high profile incidents (can you say Matt Cooke?) may colour peoples perception, in the same way that Dan Carcillo being on our team coloured others too. Doesn't necessarily mean you or we are necessarily the dirtiest team in the league...

On an educational note... Until this topic I had no idea that Flyers Boulerice (25), Downie (20), Brown (15), and Hextall (12) are in the NHL's longest suspensions top 35 list. Penguins Cooke (16) and Godard (10) are there as well. Though I loved Godard's for standing up for his goalie.

Well on an educational note I had forgotten that Boulerice played for the Phantoms for so many years before getting (and blowing) his chance with the Flyers. Do you know where he ended his career? 2 seasons with the baby pens in 9-10 and 10-11!

Well on an educational note I had forgotten that Boulerice played for the Phantoms for so many years before getting (and blowing) his chance with the Flyers. Do you know where he ended his career? 2 seasons with the baby pens in 9-10 and 10-11!

A sucker punch IS dirty not a fight! Lol. But no I didn't know Bowl-a-rice ended up in baby Pens. If I saw the name I didn't put two plus two there. Apparently they didn't re-sign him after her intentionally ran over an AHL referee. Lol

@Polaris922 Man, you are sensitive. Listen mate, nowhere did I excuse any of the illegal dumb-ass plays made by flyer players. I'm pissed when they do it as well, and do not support it when they role out the 'goon squad' and add 'Shelly-types' to the line-up. I cringe every time Schenn lays a check and his feet leave the ice. That stuff needs to stop. But don't draw a line of comparison between what Giroux did in Jersey to Neal. What Neal did was premeditated and specifically target probably the 2 most effective players against his team (that being the top offensive player, and a 19 year old kid who was shutting Malkin down the entire series, just so we're clear) on the same shift! Now, I don't know if coaches or players put him up to it, or it was on his own accord, but he certainly wasn't trying to score goals that shift. Premeditated. I don't think you can say that about Giroux. An illegal hit to the head resulting from gameplay, yes. Suspended, yes. But don't tell me he was hunting down Zubrus, and that they are equitable because they received the same punishment.

If Neal's intent to hit Giroux is equal to Giroux's intent to hit Zubrus. Neal laying out Couturier was ONLY a penalty because he's not Kronwall. Other than the properly assessed charging minor, there was no intent to injure there. Intent to hit? Yes... But I've watched Hundreds of shifts by Neal. He's no cleaner or dirtier than Giroux. Period.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

@Polaris922

Neal's hit to Couturier was ONLY a penalty because he's not Kronwall? Watch the entire game without your black and yellow glasses on. Neal and Couturier were hammering each other all game with Couturier getting the best of him. Actually, Couturier laid a borderline headshot to Neal which was not called previous to this incident. Couturier passed the puck and was looking in the other direction when Neal took a run at him with multiple strides seconds after the puck left Couturier's stick. he jumped to have the primary point of contact be Couturier's head. I know my Flyer's can be a dirty bunch at times, but c'mon, THAT was intent to injure.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Neal's hit to Couturier was ONLY a penalty because he's not Kronwall? Watch the entire game without your black and yellow glasses on. Neal and Couturier were hammering each other all game with Couturier getting the best of him. Actually, Couturier laid a borderline headshot to Neal which was not called previous to this incident. Couturier passed the puck and was looking in the other direction when Neal took a run at him with multiple strides seconds after the puck left Couturier's stick. he jumped to have the primary point of contact be Couturier's head. I know my Flyer's can be a dirty bunch at times, but c'mon, THAT was intent to injure.

TWO seconds after... and as most of us on this site say... Couturier shouldn't have let himself get caught daydreaming. The hit was NOT late unless you count real time watching slow motion, which many of you seem to be doing here. The danger was leaving his feet. He was assessed a charging penalty, as was proper. Not a suspendable offense, though. He didn't drive his elbows into Couturier's head or anything, just jumped up and used his weight as a missile (ala Kronwall) which is a charging penalty all day long. As for your "multiple strides" theory I think you need to watch it again and seriously count the time elapsing. Two seconds is not a late hit.

I'm not saying it was a clean hit. It certainly was not. But two seconds? And what the hell is Couturier doing looking back over his shoulder at a puck he lost anyway? THis is the NHL not Bantam hockey. And in the playoffs no less when you've been in a physically driven series from the start. The kid makes a mistake. I only wish Neal had hit him with his skates on the ice and not in the air. Then it would've been a perfectly clean hit and not a word to be said about it.

Edited by Polaris922