Where does Flyers' Holmgren go from here?

Guest Digityman

@aziz

Ya, our team is built to a goalie with great reflexes strength. Funny, we have one as a backup. Our team is, for the most part, young, and could be developing along with the goalie. But instead, sign a 31 year old who isn't any good unless he has a great defence in front of him. Awesome!

1) Barry Trotz

2) Pierre Page

3) Dave King

4) Jacques Demers

5) Mike Milburry

6) Rick Bowness

I am presuming this is sarcasm. Yet, Barry Trotz is a damn fine hockey coach. What he has accomplished in Nashville is nothing short of miraculous.

well, as i remember, that was the broken record you and i were going on about last summer. oh, well.

Ya, it was the same with the Pronger deal. Most people seem to live for the day and don't have patience for a 2 or 3 year development. They want to win now. They'd rather sign an over the hill used to be than bring in a prospect and develop him. And that is the reason the Flyers are always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Look at how many have given up on Braydon Schenn and his 10 game NHL career. Who's better, the rookies or the overpaid over the hill mob who each make more than all the rookies put together. Sad innitt?

Look at how many have given up on Braydon Schenn and his 10 game NHL career. Who's better, the rookies or the overpaid over the hill mob who each make more than all the rookies put together. Sad innitt?

Schenn is going to be good. I just hope we don't trade him away in a knee jerk reaction.

I think Clarke would have already gotten rid of him. I don't see Homer trading Schenn unless it is for someone unbelievable with a good contract. I think JVR will be on the trading block before Schenn (although I don't think we should unload him either).

I think Clarke would have already gotten rid of him. I don't see Homer trading Schenn unless it is for someone unbelievable with a good contract. I think JVR will be on the trading block before Schenn (although I don't think we should unload him either).

Ya, Homer prefers to hand out the horrible contracts himself.

Ya, our team is built to a goalie with great reflexes strength. Funny, we have one as a backup. Our team is, for the most part, young, and could be developing along with the goalie. But instead, sign a 31 year old who isn't any good unless he has a great defence in front of him. Awesome!

But the team's philosophy is "Win Now"

It's pretty much been their philosophy since 1975.

How's that working out for them?

@radoran

I agree 1000% rad. it's always been this teams philosphy (or at least for the better part of the last 3 decades). It keeps them competetive, but never good enough to win it all. Of course you're likely sick of hearing me say that, but you brought it up!

I expect it from you.

I'm sick of SEEING it.

Which is why all of this rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic seems like so much of a waste of time.

If Bryz was playing up to expectations everyone would be cautiously thinking to themselves that THIS is the year. Bringing in a veteran Russian goalie to mentor the young one wasn't a bad idea, just POORLY executed.

I don't think Bryz was ever brought here to be a mentor. Nine years with a NMC would say he was here to be the man (not mentor another). I have to agree with flyercanuck. There was no plan in any of these moves. Once you got rid of Carter and Richards you had committed to rebuilding your franchise (I was ok with this).

The head scratcher is the Bryz signing. There were many who did not see this as a good move at the time. I am sure there was dissension even within the organization. The Flyers basically decided they were not willing to wait for Bob and wanted their franchise goalie now. That line of thinking was just inconsistent with their other moves (which made the team younger).

I just wonder how many of these moves are Homer and how many are Ed Snider pushing things through. Bryz has been documented as an Ed Snyder reaction to last season. What about the other moves? How much is Homer actually able to do without owner involvement?

I think the contract was poor execution. Snider wanted a franchise goalie, and thought we signed one, finally ending the question of who starts in net. I also think that the mentor role, while secondary, was relevant. If it was a short contract, I would actually say good plan.

I also think that the mentor role, while secondary, was relevant. If it was a short contract, I would actually say good plan.

the length of the contract rendered the "mentor" angle irrelevant. i can't think of a backup goalie who has stuck with a team for 9 years waiting to be the #1. yes, if it were a 1, 2, 3 year deal, even 4, then i'd agree. 9 years said bryzgalov was the plan for the foreseeable future and we'll revisit the question 7 or 8 years from now. at which point bob would be 28-ish and several years into his tenure with another squad.