Spits goalie of the future....

Guest jammer2

This kid is the real deal, just turned 16, 6 foot 4, Spits 2nd round pick in last years OHL draft. They thought he would be better served by playing in a lower league in get lots of starts in....remember the name Jordan DeKort, Rychel does not spend a 2nd round pick on a goalie unless it's guaranteed....so we shall be hearing lots about him in the coming years. He's currently in a dog fight to start for Team Ontario in the under 17 tourny (hosted by Windsor this year, have tickets to the Gold Medal game...wooohooo)....Barrie's Exblad is also playing, along with 2 other Spits and Max Domi, who just might be 1st overall in 2013 NHL draft.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitsplus/Spits+goalie+DeKort+delivers+goods/5921076/story.html

Edited by jammer2

@jammer2

Filip goes next summer...Alex in 2013. Subban is a good goalie. I've heard he could go anywhere from early 1st to 2nd round. Barrie iced 15 players last night due to the WJHCs and the U17s. I think they had 2 guys from our ball hockey league on there.

Edited by flyercanuck

@flyercanuck Ahhhh didn't know there was another Forsberg after Filip...shows how much I know...lol. A good sign you have so many guys gone, think Barrie has a realistic chance at the East Conf? I suspect they will have to sell the farm to make a run (par for the course, all teams have to load up....it's just part of winning the OHL...if you don't you're opponents certainly will). To win our second title, we had to give up 2 years of Austin Watson and 3-4 years of Brassard. Incredible how much they want at the deadline.

edit...sure you know by now, but Team Ont featuring 3 Spits and Exblad from Barrie has moved on to the Semi's....hoping they make the finals so I can see them in person. Pretty sure McKinnon and his Atlantic team got the boot last night. Have to move Horvat (Domi's teammate in London and Team Ont captain) WAAAAY up the draft charts for 2013....some of the goals this kid is scoring are just head shaking....what a skater!!

Edited by jammer2

...Sean Monohan or Alex Barkov, or Seth Jones. Shikaruk, Lazar, Forsberg

Agreed. Almost all those guys will go before Domi, with Jones, Barkov and Monohan ranked highest IMO

Too bad Jones got hurt before the WJCs - he may have helped that pathetic American squad. It would have been interesting to see how the big man performed against older, elite competition. I'm biased as I have him and Barkov on my keeper team already and would have had Monohan too if my grass wasn't mowed by the GM picking just before me (took Maatta instead)

@jammer2

Personally, I think Barrie should be a seller this year and build for the next 2 years. I don't think they're quite good enough to "go for it", but on the other hand do you chance trading the likes of Scheifele, Pearson, Behenna, Hall etc just ot see them return next year on another team? Tough call.

@jammer2

For sure I will keep an eye on him and periodically post my thoughts.

I am actually really excited for the next few years to see how some of the players on the Hawks transition into the pro game. I have never watched junior hockey before so have no prior experience on how to evaluate talent. They have a handful of players that have been drafted in the first and second rounds of the nhl draft that really impress me. Especially considering how the nhl is played now. They play a VERY quick paced game at a highly skilled level. AND have a dman by the name of Morrow who can actually put the puck on the net....go figure;)

@flyercanuck It's usually a really tough call to go for it or not...I know when the Spits tried to 3 peat (thought they owed it to the fan base to try) it was a foolish decision. We could have gotten a kings ransom for Ryan Ellis and Zack Kassian. Just tons of factors to take into account, almost all of them unknowns...primarily what opponents will do to stock up and how your team will look against the new and improved opposition. Spits are aiming for 2014, the next time the Mem Cup comes back to the OHL. We have 13 extra picks in the coming 2 drafts (some will be sold off for actual players when the time is right) and of course, our USA drafts, which always gives us a leg up on competition (a little unfair if you ask me....just not an even playing field). We have a kid from Michigan (De Guissipe I think his name is) who is ranked in the first round of the 2012 draft, he was the last cut from Canada's World Jr team and rumor has it he is on the way for 2012. Would be nice to see him suit up for the Spits. I expect Alexander Kochlachev to be dealt at the deadline, still can't believe the Bruins got him in the second round...what a steal!!