Guest emwags618

Who do you think should be the starting goalie for the Flyers, Bryzgalov or Bobrovsky?

Personally I think Bob should be the starter. He has already proved that he's better than Bryz, so I'm not sure why they never have him start! Am I the only one that thinks so??

I just want to see what everyone else's opinions are.

No worries, hhmm...I think Bob should start. I really like Bobrovski, I think he will be good goalie.

I have been watching all Flyers games so far and I have been very, very "understanding" how Bryz is playing, but I have to admit that I start to also feel that signing him was BIG mistake...I hope I am wrong, but Mr. Universe seems slow, out of focus, easy shots goes true and just something isnt right how he is playing, not sure what it is but I am not so happy anymore we signed him....Time will tell, I hope he gets his sh!t together in next few weeks...

I think Bob will start in WC, I think Bryz cant handel the preasure from Philly fans and media... :)

Happy New Year for all of you!

T

I'm hoping they'll start Bob in the WC!

Obviously Bryz hasnt done well against the Rangers so far this season, and I think having Bob in there will give the guys the boost that they need to win it.

I've noticed that Bryz really rellies on his D more, and with the D struggling a bit like they are now, I deffinately think Bob is the way to go. Bob doesn't have as much relliance on the D.

Also, Bryz might have been a #1 goalie over on the west coast, but it's a completely different game & atmosphere over here on the east coast. I don't think he'll be able to vut it as a #1 in philly. I really think it was a mistake signing him for 9 years. He's not the youngest, and were spending ALOT of money on him, when we have an amazing upcoming star and prodigy in Bobrozsky.

I say let Bob be their starter and have him get the feel of it. After all, he's not going to become a Stanely Cup-winning goalie by sitting on the bench everygame watching Bryzgalov get all the shots.

I'm hoping they'll start Bob in the WC!

Obviously Bryz hasnt done well against the Rangers so far this season, and I think having Bob in there will give the guys the boost that they need to win it.

I've noticed that Bryz really rellies on his D more, and with the D struggling a bit like they are now, I deffinately think Bob is the way to go. Bob doesn't have as much relliance on the D.

Also, Bryz might have been a #1 goalie over on the west coast, but it's a completely different game & atmosphere over here on the east coast. I don't think he'll be able to vut it as a #1 in philly. I really think it was a mistake signing him for 9 years. He's not the youngest, and were spending ALOT of money on him, when we have an amazing upcoming star and prodigy in Bobrozsky.

I say let Bob be their starter and have him get the feel of it. After all, he's not going to become a Stanely Cup-winning goalie by sitting on the bench everygame watching Bryzgalov get all the shots.

It's a mistake signing anyone to a 9 year contract... yes, even someone like Ovechkin (notice his lackluster performance this year?). Crosby, same deal. He's a generational talent, but saddled with concussion problems now. Can you imagine if he were signed for another 8 or 9 years?

The CBA really needs to address this after next season because it appears that GMs need protection from themselves.

It's a mistake signing anyone to a 9 year contract... yes, even someone like Ovechkin (notice his lackluster performance this year?). Crosby, same deal. He's a generational talent, but saddled with concussion problems now. Can you imagine if he were signed for another 8 or 9 years?

The CBA really needs to address this after next season because it appears that GMs need protection from themselves.

I couldn't agree more! For Bryzgalov, thats almost 100 million down the drain, all on a goalie thats already creeping towards the end of his career and who is totally flopping on us and not living up to what we thought he was. I think it's outrageous and stupid to sign huge contracts like that. PLayers are always getting hurt & always up and down with their performance and its all just a waste of money.

Edited by emwags618

Seems to me that management didn't learn with the 15 and 12 year contracts handed out earlier. These players just don't care after signing these lifetime deals and just become complacent as they are guarenteed every penny of it. Would the Players association fight it if there is restrictions to years of the deal? Of course, the only reason I see these long term deals is that they help the team with a low cap hit spread over the years but it has hurt every team with it so far.

As for Bob or Bryz to start Monday or the rest of the year. Bob has to start, if they start Bryz then it just shows him that they approve his play so far. He needs to be bench just like anyother player on this team that is struggling. Snider doesn't care for the money as much as he wants to win, I don't think he would like to see the team lose game after game with Bryz, especially after what was said at the WC announcement if you guys remember. He would love to blow the Rags out of the Park.

I'm not sure why your stating that the Defense has been struggling? I think Timonen, Coburn, Carle, and Meszaros have been solid since Pronger has been on IR. Bourdon is also playing relatively well for a rookie.

It is hard for me to believe Laviolette sets up a different game plan for the team D as well when Bryz or Bob are in goal. The difference between the two goaltenders is that Bob is laterally quicker, and has learned to smother the puck preventing juicy rebounds. On the other hand, Bryzgalov hasn't been reading the plays as well as Bob, once his positioning is off, he is finding himself not able to control the rebounds. Those pucks are bouncing off his defenders or the opponents are quickly shooting them into the open net.

There was a period of time last season when Bob had a difficult time as well, he was giving off big rebounds, and he was dropping down too fast and the opponents started to shoot high for goals.

Bryz will turn his game around, he just needs some time right now to work with Reese.

I'm not saying that D players aren't doing well as individuals, all of them are deffintely stepping it up with Pronger's absence, but also any defense is going to struggle a little after losing their #1 defenseman for the rest of the year. They're not doing horrible, but they're also not playing as well as the could be or as well as they have played in the past. And if a team is having struggles with their goalie, the defense should step it up and play 10 times harder.

Anyways, regardless of the defense, I deffinately think right now Bob is looking like a #1 goalie & I think he would be the one to take the Flyers somewhere. I think they should have Bryz sit and watch and collect himself a little bit and get back to the basics.

I'm not saying that D players aren't doing well as individuals, all of them are deffintely stepping it up with Pronger's absence, but also any defense is going to struggle a little after losing their #1 defenseman for the rest of the year. They're not doing horrible, but they're also not playing as well as the could be or as well as they have played in the past. And if a team is having struggles with their goalie, the defense should step it up and play 10 times harder. Anyways, regardless of the defense, I deffinately think right now Bob is looking like a #1 goalie & I think he would be the one to take the Flyers somewhere. I think they should have Bryz sit and watch and collect himself a little bit and get back to the basics.

Are you sure the team is really struggling without Pronger? If you look at the numbers the team has the same % of losses with or with out Pronger this season. Pronger only played in 13 games five of which were loses. His absence really hasn't made a difference. Thus I'm not really sure why your assuming the defense isn't playing that well and that they need step it up 10x's more to be successful. They have been successful. The team is only 2pts out of a tie with the Rangers for first place.

Bob is playing well right now, and yes I'm hopeful Laviolette will ride the hot hand, typically it is what Laviolette has done in the past. IMO, the goaltending should be as much of a team effort as the forwards and defense. Meaning play the best players each night to allow the team to win.

Bryz will get his game back.

His absence really hasn't made a difference.

Doesn't not having him in the lineup (our #1 or #2 depending on your view) screw up the line combinations? Carle without Pronger is noticeably weaker.

I agree the stats tell a different story but there are many different factors that go into that.

I do think it's fair to say the Flyers are a better team with Pronger vs without.

:)

Doesn't not having him in the lineup (our #1 or #2 depending on your view) screw up the line combinations? Carle without Pronger is noticeably weaker.

I agree the stats tell a different story but there are many different factors that go into that.

I do think it's fair to say the Flyers are a better team with Pronger vs without.

:)

But if the stats and win / loss doesn't show any kind of statistical difference of better play on the ice with Pronger than without Pronger then what is your assumption based upon? The 2010-11 season?

This season the Flyers are 8W / 5L (62%wins) with Pronger in the line-up.....and without Pronger in the line-up they are 14 / 10 (58% wins)...however 2 of these losses are from the shootout...where Pronger doesn't factor. Thus I'm not seeing a truely statistical difference to state that Pronger's absence makes the team worse.

Matt Carle has scored 15pts and is a +4 in 24 games without Pronger where as with Pronger he has scored 6pts and is a +2 in 13 games.

So I guess I'm just not seeing where Matt Carle is a obviously weaker defenceman without Pronger either.