Flyer Statement: Briere Buy Out Official

radoran

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674673

“I met with Danny last week and informed him of our decision to use a compliance buy out on his contract. This was a very difficult decision for us to make as Danny has been a very good player for us over the past six years. Danny came to our organization as a free agent in July of 2007 and has been a tremendous player, person and role model in all aspects and for that we thank him. We wish him continued success and best wishes in any future endeavors.”

Not a classier individual in all of Philly sports. I hope nothing but the best for Danny in the future... business is business and this was nothing more than a smart business decision.

Cheers Danny!

As Flyers fans we would love to see Briere end his career in Philly but both he and the fans know it's a business. Classy individual and he'll be missed in the dressing room. Hopefully Holmgren uses the other buyout on Bryzgalov.

• Like 1

I totally respect DB for his gutsy and clutch playoff performances as a Flyer. Good luck to him.

He's a dirty little bastard with his stick, in an "oops, sorry about that stick in the teeth" kind of way. Also, he was/is one of the great playmakers from behind the net. Relatively few outside of Gretzky were as adept at him with the little saucer passes from back there. And if they closed off the pass he always had the wrap around. Very dangerous with time back there.

• Like 1

In a perfect world he would have been a 2010 Stanley Cup Champ and Conn Smythe winner.

If only we had even an average goalie in the Finals, he would have done just that & would be a sports legend in Philly (as would Mike Richards).

Heck, if Carter could have hit a wide open net in game #6, we might have won the Cup anyway.

• Like 2

I think if Danny lands someplace that will play him at center and leave him there, he'll put up a few more seasons with good numbers and clutch playoff runs. I hope the Flyers don't cross paths with him in the post-season.

I was ambivalent when the Flyer signed him, but grew to like him a lot. Best of luck Danny!

He was a stone cold killer in the playoffs for us, a guy that can get your team the easy goals in the tough games. the types of goals the late 90's and early 00's Devils teams would get against us where we'd have the puck for 18 minutes in a period have one turnover and boom Elias puts it in the back of the net. Lil Paul McCartney was our Elias, it was nice having an Elias. Best wishes 48, don't kill us in the playoffs...

Translation: Whomever signs him will win the cup next season. Bank on it.

It almost seems like a recepe for success - leave the Flyers and you are guranteed to win the Cup.

I don't know.... I actually kinda liked Danny Boy. Yes, he took games off, just like everybody else does once in a while, but I thought in 6 years that he played here he was more than decent. He sure wasn't the problem; let's put it this way.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 4

I didn't like the original contract signed, but I loved the player we got! His playoff performances were so much fun to watch and he is one of my favorite Flyers because of it. I wish him nothing but the best, unless he ends up with the Rags or Pens!

• Like 4

"Philadelphia "Is my HOME"

“This is my home,” Briere said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “Wherever I’m going to end up, the kids are staying here, and I’m coming back here. Yeah, this is my home. This is what we consider home now.”

“There’s a lot of things that we will have to consider,” he said.

“Obviously, the kids [are] an issue. We’ll have to consider also if it’s a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup or not, a team that might have a role for me or not. Those are all questions that at this point I don’t really know, and I don’t know which one’s going to take over.”

Yep, and he will have a job in the organization when his playing days are over.......bank on it!

All these post reminds me of ravenous, hungry wolves hanging over a live pig roast waiting to eat there friend porky.

Then after the deed is done, they all talk fond memories of the little swine, saying "ya we're gonna miss porky, he was such a ham, was great pal around spring time. Too bad we had to eat him.

I understand with the cap drop, and the signings he was the big cap hit sticking out, but you Need a player like his caliber in the playoffs. Ya this year was a down year.

If he would of underperformed for two/three years than ya the boo birds have a say, but having one bad year and a half, doesn't equate to getting rid of someone. Now if Hartnell produces another bad regular season and playoffs, than you can call him out after multiple seasons.

Danny will be missed, his leadership, his way of talking to teammates to give them perspective on the game, his after hours duties to our young players.

His clutch will to score, when it counts. His straight talk to the media.

That's a lot of tangibles that we're going to lose over the summer. On the other hand this opens up doors of opportunities to our young players to start spreading there wings and Fly, so even though I'm disappointed, I can also see the window of opportunity this will give to our forward youth to step it up and start rolling.

I would of liked to have seen a line of Simmonds Briere Jake on the second line, and Gagne G Ryan on the first line, that would of been a 1-2 bombardment and Hartnell Cooter Schenn on third line. and Rinaldo Talbot and Read on 4th. That would of been a very powerful lineup, wave after wave every line could score and defend.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

I'm glad he's gone. I hated his lackadaisical neutral zone play, and non-existent defensive zone play. He took a lot of shifts off too. None of that is good for young players to look up to.

He was solid in the playoffs, but now that he's lost a step, he can't make that quick move from behind the net. He's not totally done, but close enough.

• Like 3

Danny was certainly an enigma during a lot of his Flyer career. He started out ok, flatlined for years, came back to life and then it went horribly wrong in the end. I think after having time to reflect on the flatline years, a lot had to do with his divorce and related problems. His life got ripped apart, and sadly, it affected his on ice performance (or at least, that's my theory). Sure, he should be a pro and push past it yadda, yadda, yadda....but the harsh reality is these players are human beings and a lot can't just "play through it". Seems like time healed the wound and he was back to his energetic self again. Don't know what happened to make him go in the crapper this past few years, but it was a logical choice to let him go when the buy out was announced.

I'll always fondly remember the tremendous playoff runs he was a part of, the incredible energy he gave off during those wicked runs....but in the end, to me, Danny will always emulate the incorrect way the Flyers franchise conduct their business....buy your way out of trouble, over pay for established vets, outright refusing to take a leap of faith on a youngster who might fill the role without much of a on ice loss. The cycle sadly continues as we welcome Mr.Striet to the team....

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

I'll always fondly remember the tremendous playoff runs he was a part of, the incredible energy he gave off during those wicked runs....but in the end, to me, Danny will always emulate the incorrect way the Flyers franchise conduct their business....buy your way out of trouble, over pay for established vets, outright refusing to take a leap of faith on a youngster who might fill the role without much of a on ice loss. The cycle sadly continues as we welcome Mr.Striet to the team....

And sadly, that's probably going ot continue until Snider dies. One thing I want to emphasize though, which, I am sure, has been brought up by many people before multiple times. I, much like everybody else, agree that the Flyers' way of doing business with the mindset to go for it every year is fundamentally flawed. When you try it once, twice, three times and it doesn't produce anticipated results, it's time to re-think the philosophy. To me Detroit is a model of how to conduct a successful business: you draft well, you work patiently with those who you drafted, and you use trades and free agency wisely and mainly as a supplemental source of addressing your needs. The Flyers, by contrast, use free agency basically as means of building the roster. Putting aside for a second the entire salary cap unfavorable impact on it, trying to "buy" the Cup is just a backward, unproductive way of constructing the franchise and this is why it did not work before and will never work in the future.

With all that said, I actually give the Flyers an out for Briere signing. If there was a circumstance to actually add a veteran to the roster, that was it. The Flyers came out of the terrible... maybe the WORST season in their otherwise illustrious history. They revamped the roster by letting Forsberg go and freeing up cash to improve the roster. They acquired Parent and Coburn, in a parallel path, and I thought did a decent job by getting ready to come back after that disaster of the season. And Danny Boy started paying dividends almost immediately, and so did Timonen and Hartnell. But there was nothing else in Homer's arsenal, you see. Basically after that one summer where he almost stunned the hockey world, the Flyers reverted back to the old Flyers in terms of how they operate. The last summer was a verification of that (trying to go after Zach Parise, Suter and Shea Weber).

They just didn't, don't, and will not learn.

Edited by Mad Dog

All these post reminds me of ravenous, hungry wolves hanging over a live pig roast waiting to eat there friend porky.

Then after the deed is done, they all talk fond memories of the little swine, saying "ya we're gonna miss porky, he was such a ham, was great pal around spring time. Too bad we had to eat him.

I understand with the cap drop, and the signings he was the big cap hit sticking out, but you Need a player like his caliber in the playoffs. Ya this year was a down year.

If he would of underperformed for two/three years than ya the boo birds have a say, but having one bad year and a half, doesn't equate to getting rid of someone. Now if Hartnell produces another bad regular season and playoffs, than you can call him out after multiple seasons.

Danny will be missed, his leadership, his way of talking to teammates to give them perspective on the game, his after hours duties to our young players.

His clutch will to score, when it counts. His straight talk to the media.

That's a lot of tangibles that we're going to lose over the summer. On the other hand this opens up doors of opportunities to our young players to start spreading there wings and Fly, so even though I'm disappointed, I can also see the window of opportunity this will give to our forward youth to step it up and start rolling.

I would of liked to have seen a line of Simmonds Briere Jake on the second line, and Gagne G Ryan on the first line, that would of been a 1-2 bombardment and Hartnell Cooter Schenn on third line. and Rinaldo Talbot and Read on 4th. That would of been a very powerful lineup, wave after wave every line could score and defend.

I'd like to interrupt this little pig roast with a little brutal honesty:

It was not a year and a half. He's been piss poor and increasingly so for two years. The guy is done. And his presser says that he might be thinking the same. It's terrific to have "the best swimmer" on the team, but when you live in a desert...

He played absolutely zero defense. Zero. He floated in the neutral zone and didn't do nearly enough of anything else the past two years to justify it. People say "let him play center instead of wing and he'll do better." Well, I remember him at center and people yelling for wing. It's not the position; it's the player.

I wrote above that I liked him as a person...based solely on interviews and the reported nurturing Giroux, etc. It's not like I bake cakes with him or anything. But he seems like a genuinely good guy. And I appreciated what he did for the team the first few seasons while he was here. I appreciated him as a player in Buffalo as well, although I hated that every time a Flyer sneezed it seemed like he was stealing the puck and scoring. But the fact remains that his cap hit is absurd against his production. I wish him the best, but this move was a must-do.

• Like 2