Hey, didn't you USED to be Jack Campbell?

Guest flyercanuck

WTF happened to this guy? Coming into the tournament he was supposed to be the top goalie. It's his third WJHC so he should be the most comfortable guy there. He looked pretty rattled yesterday. I don't get why he wouldn't have played against the Finns, either the US coach was way overconfident or he saw something he didn't like in Campbell. Either way, the biggest upset of the tournament is the US going to the relegation round. YIKES!

@flyercanuck

As you know, sometimes you lose a game because of a goaltender.

I thought the US team completely out played the Czechs all game long. They were faster and won the races to the puck. They were more physical and took the body every opportunity they had. They controlled the puck and maintained possession ( I wish there was a stat for puck possession similar to football). I would bet thetime of puck possession was 3-1 in favor of the US. Both teams had their share of breakdowns. The only difference was the Czechs capitalized. And the most telling stat is the shots...US 54, Czechs 28.

Sometimes you lose a game because of a goaltender. That goaltenders name - Petr Mrazek

I agree Alaska, Mrazek has been the story of the tournament. He's been unbelievable. But Campbell also let in 7 goals in 2 games against inferior opponents. I thought he was a big reason the US was one of the favorites for gold. He was supposed to be one of the stars of this tournament, and he wasn't.

But Campbell also let in 7 goals in 2 games against inferior opponents. I thought he was a big reason the US was one of the favorites for gold. He was supposed to be one of the stars of this tournament, and he wasn't.

He certainly could have played better but I wouldn't pin the tourney on him. The 3 goals against Denmark were all PP goals and he did didn't get much defensive help against the Czechs.

@flyercanuck My experience with Jack is either he is on or stinks....not much intbetween. That's why it was a little celebration in the Jammer household when the Spits dealt him....we were not going to to win anyways, so build for the future...but besides that, he was really prone to bad games where he would get pulled early. Not the type of thing you want out of a franchise tender. Maybe he gets better in Dallas, but I just never saw what everybody was getting all excited about. That Gibson kid stunk also, so they didn't really have anybody to turn to....but the defense (and a startling lack of back checking by the forwards) were as much to blame as the tenders.

OK so maybe he still IS Jack Campbell. He played a pretty good game and with some luck (both goalies had a little) kept the US in the game right to the end, Looks like Canada finally has a goalie after some pretty average showings the last 3 or 4 years.