Coots being Shopped?

Guest Vincent05

@Phillygrump

Bogosian would be a fine addition. He's alwalys been respectable, but never really lived up to the hype until last year. He shows you flashes of what he can do, but has not been able to put the whole package together. He loves being physical, almost always chooses to iniate contact if the situation call for it. He's a really intense dude. I've seen close up's quite a few times, the guy has this menancing glare....like he wants to hurt opponents.....lol.

Love the way he skates, very graceful stride, excellent burst of speed, drives to the net a few times a game, keeping opposing d-men on their toes. Booming shot, nice puck dispersal skills on the pp point. His only real problem was defensive positioning and learning when to pinch and when to not....he did show improvement last year in those departments.

Coots for Bogo would be a fair exchange. Both have a lot of upside.

• Like 1

After 1 1/2 seasons he is a bust really?

Did I call him a bust? He started out as a number 1 pick early in his draft year and got mono. His stock fell and the Flyers were able to pick him up later in the first as a "steel". I think he is a nice hockey player but ultimately he seems to be, IMHO, an average skater at best. Based on this it IMHO that if we can trade him and perhaps Mez (due to his contract) for a top 3 defenseman then you now have the luxury of being able to do it with VL. Look, I don't like the VL signing at all but in the game of assets/liabilities he is an asset. We now have more assets at center and are able to make a trade. Do you trade G? No. Do you trade Laughton? No. Schenn? I'd rather keep him over Coots. Talbot or Read who can play center? Perhaps Read. So really the one I see is expendable is Coots based on my opinion that I don't think he is a strong skater.

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitt.../ALLsportsINTEL

FLYERS - Source - Team does not want to move Coburn, trying to package Couturier with either Grossman or Meszaros to get a buyer.

His tweets has them talking to Jets also, I'm not sure how credit this guys is but seeing the tweets of possibly trading Coots is making me sick. I will be piss if we do end up giving away Coots because of Vinny. If we somehow upgrade our d then it's a different story.

I trust Twitter for trade rumors like I trust reality shows. When trades are done than twitter can get it right

Posted · Hidden by brelic, July 3, 2013 - Duplicate
Hidden by brelic, July 3, 2013 - Duplicate

https://mobile.twitt.../ALLsportsINTEL

FLYERS - Source - Team does not want to move Coburn, trying to package Couturier with either Grossman or Meszaros to get a buyer.

His tweets has them talking to Jets also, I'm not sure how credit this guys is but seeing the tweets of possibly trading Coots is making me sick. I will be piss if we do end up giving away Coots because of Vinny. If we somehow upgrade our d then it's a different story.

I trust Twitter for trade rumors like I trust reality shows. When trades are done than twitter can get it right

Coburn and Coots for Bogosian and Kane. Would need to fatten the package a little bit, but I would love that trade.

Of course, it's another case of roster turnover for the sake of roster turnover.

Signing Vinny is *forcing* us to make moves. I love Lecavalier, but a CENTER was the LAST thing this team needed.

But if your boss puts you on "high alert" and is breathing down your neck for you to "make sure you make the playoffs", you make stupid moves to save your job.

• Like 1

I really don't like these moves so far - except the 2 buyouts.

We got rid of Number One PITA Bryzgalov and Number 2 Too-Much-$$ Briere so we immmediately got better as a team. Briere didn't leave "a hole" we had to fill, far from it. As far as Bryzgalov, now we need a backup/platoon goaltender to complement Mason. But other than that we don't *need* major moves...like bringing in some Non-Defensive Defensman like Mark Streit for a $5.25 cap hit...and now Vinny, who I love as a player but .... another center for the Flyers? Because Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot, Zac, Laugton, Newberry (newberry? who? wha?)...aren't enough I guess.

What's the plan? Will Vinny be moved long before the season starts, is that the idea? Nail down a reasonable contract, make him attractive to trading partners? Okay...IF that's the plan...

[edit: just remembered Vinny (of course) got a full NTC so if the plan is to trade him...Vin will have the final say not the Flyers]

Edited by canoli

And so it begins...

Where is Eminger? Let's trade Coots for Eminger.

I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

I agree once again Holmgren paints himself into a corner - cap wise and the Flyers will end up trading one of their young players. If he is going to trade Couturier I hope to hell that he gets a young player - hopefully a defenseman back. It's starting to look like the Flyers will never win a cup until Snider passes away like what happened in Chicago when Bill Wirtz kicked the bucket and then the Blackhawks came back to being an elite team.

• Like 2

It's starting to look like the Flyers will never win a cup until Snider passes away like what happened in Chicago when Bill Wirtz kicked the bucket and then the Blackhawks came back to being an elite team.

Yeah. Sadly, that's pretty much exactly what I've been thinking...and with Wirtz in mind.

Yeah. Sadly, that's pretty much exactly what I've been thinking...and with Wirtz in mind.

Problem with that is when Bill Wirtz died, Rocky took over, and Rocky's got a great head for hockey.

Ed dies, and the team will probably be fully in the grip of our Comcast overlords. I don't trust Peter Luukko to make much better decisions than Snider does.

• Like 1

I agree once again Holmgren paints himself into a corner - cap wise and the Flyers will end up trading one of their young players.

agreed but instead of a young player it'll be Coburn - which to me is even more stupid than moving Couturier, who I really like a lot. We NEED to maintain (at least) the quality of defense we have now but when you look at the salaries the big money cap hits are on D. So that's why I figure it'll be Coburn. He has value in a trade unlike Mez who nobody will want. Kimmo we absolutely need, same with Schenn and Grossmann...and trading Lauridsen makes no sense- he gets us no cap relief plus he shows tremendous promise imo.

WTF did we do wasting $5.25 on Mark Freakin Streit? Damn that was dumb. Yeah yeah we *had* to have a "puck-moving defenseman" except we could've used GUS in that role more and more....See it's called DEVELOPING YOUR TALENT instead of running to Fkn Free Agency every goddamn season.

well I'm not wild about the LeCav move either but at least we got a damn good player for the money. And his contract is tradeable if/when we need to move him (of course he'll have to agree since he got a full NTC too). But Streit's contract isn't very tradeable; there wont' be any interest in him ever again so we're stuck with him. I'm not saying he sucks just that he's not what we needed for $5.25mil against the cap.

Problem with that is when Bill Wirtz died, Rocky took over, and Rocky's got a great head for hockey.

Ed dies, and the team will probably be fully in the grip of our Comcast overlords. I don't trust Peter Luukko to make much better decisions than Snider does.

Sadly, this is all true.

It could be worse. They could put Jay Snider in charge (again). That was a cluster last time.

If Couturier is a part of a package that brings back the guy for the defense, an OEL ,Enstrom, Weber or shoot even Dougie H then i think i'd be alright with trading him. the key for me is the package he goes in would have to be for a guy that patrols the blue line as the top dog for a long assed time, and not a guy that's got 3 years left in the tank.

• Like 1

If Couturier is a part of a package that brings back the guy for the defense, an OEL ,Enstrom, Weber or shoot even Dougie H then i think i'd be alright with trading him. the key for me is the package he goes in would have to be for a guy that patrols the blue line as the top dog for a long assed time, and not a guy that's got 3 years left in the tank.

What about Bogosian? Would you be ok with a Coots/Bogosian swap?

He's still only 21 and has the potential and tools to be a top pairing defenseman.

So think 5 years down the road with

Schenn/Gus

Bogosian/Lauridsen

Morin/Hagg

That could be pretty strong.... stronger than what we have now.

What about Bogosian? Would you be ok with a Coots/Bogosian swap?

He's still only 21 and has the potential and tools to be a top pairing defenseman.

So think 5 years down the road with

Schenn/Gus

Bogosian/Lauridsen

Morin/Hagg

That could be pretty strong.... stronger than what we have now.

I do not know a lot about bogosian other than what i have read here, but to answer directly yes. it would have to be for a guy with top pairing ability or if in a package for a top pairing guy entering his prime.

those pairing you listed look skilled and difficult to play against, which would be freakin awesome.